RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: 220 volt capable PSW inverter

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > 220 volt capable PSW inverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/28/21 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was just researching a 220-240 volt system as battery backup at home for running a well, and came across this Inverter/amazon which seems a real bargain. no charger, but 3000 watts continuous per leg. Thought some in here could find it interesting for other uses. Taiwan mfg not Chicoms if that makes a difference.

CA Traveler

The Western States

Senior Member

Joined: 01/03/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/28/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. 3000W max is 250A+ for 12V batteries, some heavy amps. The listing is confusing but apparently it's 3000W for either 120V or 240V. Or maybe it really is only 110V or 220V.


2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob


enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2005

View Profile






Posted: 08/28/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not use that on my well. I have a frequency drive submersible pump. Not sure what type of water well pump OP has. 3000 Watt continuous is not much for my water well system. Going to take several batteries


Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker


wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/28/21 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I would not use that on my well. I have a frequency drive submersible pump. Not sure what type of water well pump OP has. 3000 Watt continuous is not much for my water well system. Going to take several batteries

Just for household use, its on a 20 amp breaker, have run it in the past from a 4500 watt generator with no issues.
It kicks on 4 or 5 times a day for only about 3 minutes.
This was being considered as an alternative to replacing my old genny and adding about 1000 watts of solar and 600 amp hrs of batteries.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2005

View Profile






Posted: 08/28/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP: You must have an old style mechanical pump controller.
What size and type of pump and controller?

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/28/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No idea, Pure guess but I seem to remember it being a 1 or 1.5 hp pump, and yes it is mechanical controls, there is nothing solid state or electronic to it. I built the house in 05, this was the system installed then.
I had simply thought about installing the small solar system to power the well, kitchen outlets and bedroom outlets.
My electric usage is only about 160 kwh a month, if this would eliminate 60-80 or so, and provide back up power during outages I was thinking of doing it rather than buying a new electric start genny.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/28/21 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't buy that thing. It looks like junk. Anyone who even designs a 6,000 watt inverter with a 12 volt input obviously doesn't know what they are doing. You really should have a 48 volt battery banks for any draw that large; otherwise your battery cables are huge and the multiple parallel batteries become a wiring nightmare.
A 1 HP submersible pump will draw about 2,400 watts running and around 7,000 watts on start up. How deep is your well? Around here (VA) most wells are a 3/4 HP with a 1 HP if they are really deep. 1.5 HP is reserved for extremely deep wells and agriculture installations.
My preference for a good 240v Sinewave inverter would be Magnum. Next choice would be a Conext.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/28/21 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

I wouldn't buy that thing. It looks like junk. Anyone who even designs a 6,000 watt inverter with a 12 volt input obviously doesn't know what they are doing. You really should have a 48 volt battery banks for any draw that large; otherwise your battery cables are huge and the multiple parallel batteries become a wiring nightmare.
A 1 HP submersible pump will draw about 2,400 watts running and around 7,000 watts on start up. How deep is your well? Around here (VA) most wells are a 3/4 HP with a 1 HP if they are really deep. 1.5 HP is reserved for extremely deep wells and agriculture installations.
My preference for a good 240v Sinewave inverter would be Magnum. Next choice would be a Conext.

And with all of that, I'm priced right out of the whole project.
Oh, and a 320 foot well.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

Senior Member

Joined: 09/07/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/28/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Interesting. 3000W max is 250A+ for 12V batteries, some heavy amps. The listing is confusing but apparently it's 3000W for either 120V or 240V. Or maybe it really is only 110V or 220V.

The voltage standard in the US has been 240/120 VAC for decades. Admittedly, that is +/-10%. Anything below 108VAC is not good !

Power jack does NOT have a stellar reputation.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/28/21 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just looked at your location, looks like your in VA or NC so not that far from me. My well is 305 feet with the pump at 180. I have a 3/4 HP pump. I'd be willing to bet yours is a 3/4, maybe a 1 hp at the largest. Put a meter on it and measure it's running and starting current. A 3/4 HP will be 8 amps running, 24 starting. 1 hp should be 10 amps running, 29 amps starting.

You would need several 12v batteries hooked in parallel to get enough amps to run the pump anyway. It cost no more (actually less because of smaller cables) to wire 4 batteries in series to 48 volts instead of in parallel to 12 volts.
You really don't need a 240v output inverter to run your well. You can use a transformer to step 120v up to 240v. This will greatly expand your choices for large inverters.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > 220 volt capable PSW inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.