|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Astoria,OR to Florence OR

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
StaushWitson40

Watsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/21 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

9/11/2021 heading South from Astoria to Florence with a 40 ft fifth wheel. What should I expect as far as road conditions and altitude change. Never been this way and would appreciate any input. Thanks, Dan

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/21 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take U.S. 101 south. Pretty drive.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming US 101. The hills there are pretty gentle, as there is not a lot of elevation change. A lot of it is along the seashore.
Usually slow going, though, as some of the parts are pretty curvy, and there is lots of traffic. Mostly folks pulling 40 ft fifth wheels (!).
It's an iconic and scenic road, and very enjoyable.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 Pull off at the view spots. We'll be in Florence Mon and have dinner reservations at Waterfront Depot.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obgraham wrote:

Assuming US 101. The hills there are pretty gentle, as there is not a lot of elevation change. A lot of it is along the seashore.
Usually slow going, though, as some of the parts are pretty curvy, and there is lots of traffic. Mostly folks pulling 40 ft fifth wheels (!).
It's an iconic and scenic road, and very enjoyable.

I would also try to avoid driving on the weekends.

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

X2 Pull off at the view spots. We'll be in Florence Mon and have dinner reservations at Waterfront Depot.

Oh how I envy you! Since the Delta variant arrived we've been avoiding dining out for awhile. Waterfront Depot is our favorite and unquestionably the best restaurant in Florence. If the original poster stops in Florence, suggest he try it too..... reservations generally required unless you dine outside....

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So something to be aware based on our trip to Oregon a few weeks ago. There were numerous RVs pulled off in the view spots and passing areas that were actually "Camping" in those spots along Highway 101. I witnessed over a dozen doing this just between Yachats & Florence. At first I thought they were just there for a quick stop, but then started noticing that jacks were down, as well as stabilizers and trucks were disconnected from the trailers. I first saw them as we drove north from Florence to our campground near Yachats, then had to run into Florence the next morning... same RVs parked in the same spots. IMHO this is a huge safety concern. With my RV & Jeep I try to pull off and let others pass. There is a great spot just North of Florence near Buck Lake but some yahoo was pulled over there along with 2 cars that came and went for 3 days - clearly this guy was not dealing with a break down, just pulled off for some Oregon Free Camping. Never saw this any other part of Oregon and appeared to be no enforcement over it.

I turned on my camera in the holder to capture this while I made the drive to Florence once. If you look at his right rear wheels you'll notice he's got his lever legos out. Camper was parked there for 2 days.

[image]

* This post was edited 08/28/21 07:05pm by Y-Guy *

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy, Thanks for that warning. We're waiting out the holiday traffic in Florence. Then we need to get home and 5 is preferred but the smoke is very bad right now. The fires and smoke may force us to go down 101. While we love the OR coast this time we need to make progress south.

morley

British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Great choice of a place to eat, on our trips we have never been disappointed at Waterfront Depot

2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

morley

British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This part of the Oregon coast drive is most beautiful, especially the area fromYachts to Florence. The drive is quite slow so don’t expect to make any fast parts of your trips.
The road though is quite safe as most of the vehicles travel at a proper speed for the road conditions.
You will probably also encounter lots of cyclists along the route also.
Going south you are on the ocean side of the road and able to find lots of pullouts provided some yahoos as previously posted are not using the pullouts as permanent parking areas. What a poor way for RVer’s to operate.
Enjoy your trip it is certainly one of the most beautiful parts of the west coast.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Astoria,OR to Florence OR
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.