RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Does the Color of an HD Pickup Make a Difference?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does the Color of an HD Pickup Make a Difference?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Beaker

Brevard, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Why not buy the color you like vs. the color the next guys likes. Are you buying for you or me.

He is buying it for the next guy as he says.
One year will pass quickly.

2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

...Seems like now isn't the best time to buy a new truck and plan to make money when you sell it in a year or so. I always thought the idea was to buy low and sell high, not vice versa. [emoticon]

I have the opportunity to buy low. I do not think prices will drop in the next year.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Color can make a HUGE difference in the interior temperature of a vehicle. In the '90s, I was friends with the sales manager at a large automotive dealership in Augusta, GA. One of their technicians did a little test one sunny, summer Georgia afternoon. He "borrowed" two calibrated HVAC test thermometers from the HVAC tech. He place them in two identical new trucks sitting next to each other on the lot... except - you guessed it - one truck was black and the other one white. At the end of an hour, he retrieved the thermometers and the interior of the black truck was 40F hotter than the interior of the white truck. That's a significant difference and can dramatically increase the amount of time the AC compressor has to run to cool the interior (and how long it takes to cool down when you first get in the vehicle).

Accident statistics also show that red vehicles are at a 7% higher risk of being involved in an accident while white vehicles have the lowest accident rates. Attorneys and psychologists will argue whether the increased risk is based on scientific factors or it's related to the personality types of some people who buy red vehicles...

Rob

* This post was edited 08/29/21 06:43pm by Second Chance *

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

...Seems like now isn't the best time to buy a new truck and plan to make money when you sell it in a year or so. I always thought the idea was to buy low and sell high, not vice versa. [emoticon]

I have the opportunity to buy low. I do not think prices will drop in the next year.

Vehicle prices are at an all time high due to the chip shortage. People are selling used trucks for more than they paid for them 2-3 years ago. Unless this chip shortage lasts another year, all those new trucks sitting waiting for chips will flood the market and dealers will go back to dealing vs selling at 2nd sticker plus. Good luck with resale. Plan to take a hit, on this and the trailer.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heat wise, the best colors are light. White, silver, platiunum, champagne, powder blue, etc. Yes, they do keep the car cooler.

Red, black and blue are the three non-heat refecting colors that are most popular.

Any of the above will resell fine. If it's on the lots as new, it's because it is acceptable to the most number of people. Meaning customers won't necessarily love it, but they will buy it. The more unique colors are either a love or hate response - only a few people will love it and the majority will hate it.

Personally, after my last SUV being a silver shade, I will not get another. It's so easy to lose it in a crowded parking lot.

The one vehicle I regret not buying was a bright yellow pickup. Years later and it stills stands out in my mind as a great looking truck.

Of course, you could use my grandfather's logic: buy a brown car, it won't show the dirt.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think he was looking on advice on colors, not the economy and supply chains [emoticon]. I think the shortages will be here next year as well but I also think that because of the shortages, colors will not matter.

--
2021 Chevrolet 3500 DRW Cab&Chassis crew cab 4x4 6.6L gas with 9ft4" flatbed
2021 Palomino HS-2902 Max truck camper
2007 Double D all steel 2-horse bumper pull trailer

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lighter colors are better to help keep it cooler but not white...which will show every spec of dirt.

Currently, we have a light brown (I think ford calls it champagne.) Works pretty good as a nice compromise as a little dusty/dirty doesn't show up but no where near as hot as black.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the sites for pricing used vehicles factor in the color. I think that KBB is one of them. You might see what they say about it.

I like brighter colors or daytime running lights for visibility. Just a few days ago I was on a two lane road with heavy tree cover and the dark cars without lights were much harder to see. I like to be seen by others for safety reasons.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Lighter colors are better to help keep it cooler but not white...which will show every spec of dirt.

Currently, we have a light brown (I think ford calls it champagne.) Works pretty good as a nice compromise as a little dusty/dirty doesn't show up but no where near as hot as black.

Let go really off topic. White trucks do not show dirt.
That why you see so many white work trucks. Yes they are dirty but they don't show it. I've had several white work trucks and at this point I would not have any other color in a work van.
If you look closely, sure you see the dirt. But if the truck pulls into your driveway and the technician gets out you will not notice the filthiness of the white van. It will be dirty, but it will be a dingy white vs. a clean shiny white. In short in does not show the dirt.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes color matters! In a large HD truck, white or silver best choice for resale! A car, smaller suv, bright colors are great, and don't jump! A big black truck can be great, for a person who enjoys washing/waxing, and parks in the shade.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does the Color of an HD Pickup Make a Difference?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.