RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Does the Color of an HD Pickup Make a Difference?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does the Color of an HD Pickup Make a Difference?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

I was the second person to look the truck I bought used. Seller told me the first guy would have bought it if it was white instead of silver. Dumb reason, he missed out on a really nice truck.

And the first guy had to go look at it to know the difference between white and silver?
LOL
Any of you ever try to "help" the process when you're selling something significant, like a vehicle?
Sounds like what that guy was doing...

You know, if it's popular, and you get a bunch of calls, schedule everyone to come look at it at the same time?
Or text your buddies and have them call you, "very interested", while a potential buyer is looking at it.
He!!, I figured I had a guy who was pretty convinced before he even showed up. But he was already waffling to me about whether the "wife" would be good with it, etc. Dunno if he was playing me or not, but I had one of my buddies show up a little after the real customer, get all excited about the car. Told the "second guy", hey, so n so was here first. Can you give him some space? I'll call you if he doesn't buy it. "Second guy was like "Call me, got cash at home...etc etc"
Car was sold to first guy 5 min after guy #2 "left."

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, with the experience I had when I was shopping for my current truck, I would say that yes color does matter. I was determined that I was going to buy a white truck until I happened to see the truck that I bought. The Maximum Steel color looked absolutely stunning on the Ram dually when I saw it, and well the rest is history! [emoticon]

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Durb wrote:

I was the second person to look the truck I bought used. Seller told me the first guy would have bought it if it was white instead of silver. Dumb reason, he missed out on a really nice truck.

And the first guy had to go look at it to know the difference between white and silver?
LOL
Any of you ever try to "help" the process when you're selling something significant, like a vehicle?
Sounds like what that guy was doing...

You know, if it's popular, and you get a bunch of calls, schedule everyone to come look at it at the same time?
Or text your buddies and have them call you, "very interested", while a potential buyer is looking at it.
He!!, I figured I had a guy who was pretty convinced before he even showed up. But he was already waffling to me about whether the "wife" would be good with it, etc. Dunno if he was playing me or not, but I had one of my buddies show up a little after the real customer, get all excited about the car. Told the "second guy", hey, so n so was here first. Can you give him some space? I'll call you if he doesn't buy it. "Second guy was like "Call me, got cash at home...etc etc"
Car was sold to first guy 5 min after guy #2 "left."

Don't think there was any salesmanship shenanigans here. Seller was dying from cancer. 2004.5 Ram Laramie Dually with 62k miles. Beautiful condition. First looker went as far as seeing how much it would cost to paint it white, too much.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mleekamp wrote:

If it's not red, it's just transportation. (old saying)

Seriously though, buy the truck in the color you WANT. I don't worry nor think about "I hop the next guy likes this color". Sure, a few years down the road, you will find odd color combos or a color choice that is not to your taste (if buying used) but who cares, really? We have bought cars in tan/gold that I would not have bought new...and got a great deal because it was not silver/red/blue/whatever. Point is, if buying new, get what YOU LIKE.

This is my thought as well. It is kinda like that saying about not driving a vehicle to keep the miles low for resale value. Which is the equivalent to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her fresh for the next guy. Buy the color you want, whatever color it is somebody will want it on resale. Condition of it is a far greater factor in resale value than the color. My last couple have been the Dark Blue. Dirt is an issue, scratches show more, but it looks so dam good, I keep buying em.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On an older vehicle, I look for the best combo of value and options. Color isn't a driving factor. On a new or newer (like you are suggesting), EVERYTHING matters, because of the higher price point. While I might consider brown or red in an otherwise cherry 10 year old truck, it would be an absolute no-go on a 1 year old truck.

My advice for you is to order white or silver, as they sure seem to appeal to a larger group of people.

And to comment on the economics side (the question you didn't ask), I'd be worried about resale, even buying at true employee purchase price (which I can do as well).

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 03:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for your input on my question. I have chosen Silver.

I tried to find a Greenstone Metallic in person, but both were delivered to customers before I reached a salesperson.

As for the economics side, I have no reason to worry. I would just end up with a very nice 4x4 truck to drive to Iowa, haul hay wagons, tow my trailer when I do not need my Express, and get through Michigan winters.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that silver is a nice looking color. It used to be notorious for not lasting very long and I have always avoided it for that reason but I don't think that applies anymore. Paint has really improved in the last 30 years.

I hope that you enjoy your truck! Post some pictures when you get home!

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had one black vehicle in my life. That was about thirty years ago. I’ll never have a black one again.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you buy a Silverado in any color other than silver, is it still a Silverado? [emoticon]

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

I’ve had one black vehicle in my life. That was about thirty years ago. I’ll never have a black one again.

I can't say that, had a black 1959 Corvette I would take back .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does the Color of an HD Pickup Make a Difference?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.