|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
schmitts711

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a container of Biobar JF to use in my Winnebago motorhome. It has a Cummins diesel in it. In reading the instructions it lists many types of engines to use this in, such as diesel boats and stand-by generators. It does not list RV's. In fact, in bold print it says, "NOT FOR USE IN ON-ROAD VEHICLES". Did I buy the wrong product?

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t believe in additives and don’t know of any manufacturer who approves them.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using BIOBOR JF for 8 years in my Cummins ISC 8.3 without any problems. Like it says, 1oz for every 80gal fillup has prevented any microbe growth problems and my coach sets for months at a time in hot, humid weather.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6

schmitts711

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lryrob9301 wrote:

I have been using BIOBOR JF for 8 years in my Cummins ISC 8.3 without any problems. Like it says, 1oz for every 80gal fillup has prevented any microbe growth problems and my coach sets for months at a time in hot, humid weather.

Thanks for your reply. I've had a motorhome sitting for 2 years with a half-tank of fuel and no treatment. Going to take it out in early October. When would you suggest adding the Biobar... and how do you make sense of the label cautions?

lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schmitts711 wrote:

lryrob9301 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I've had a motorhome sitting for 2 years with a half-tank of fuel and no treatment. Going to take it out in early October. When would you suggest adding the Biobar... and how do you make sense of the label cautions?

Add the BIOBOR JF NOW and use the shock treatment amount, then take the coach and fill the tank with fresh fuel. This will get things well mixed. Living in north it's unlikely you have much microbe growth, but this is cheap insurance.

As to the labels, I don't have an answer I never saw that. Probably C Y A lawyer speak.

schmitts711

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lryrob9301 wrote:

schmitts711 wrote:

lryrob9301 wrote:

Add the BIOBOR JF NOW and use the shock treatment amount, then take the coach and fill the tank with fresh fuel. This will get things well mixed. Living in north it's unlikely you have much microbe growth, but this is cheap insurance.

As to the labels, I don't have an answer I never saw that. Probably C Y A lawyer speak.

That was my exact plan. It will have to sit until October, though.
Should I let the shock sit in the tank till then? I was planning on treating the new fuel as well, as it will be mixing with the old fuel, and diluting the 'shock' effect. Make sense to you?

* This post was edited 08/29/21 01:15pm by schmitts711 *

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, add the biocide NOW.

If you have a long filler tube, follow with 4-5 gallons of diesel to make sure the biocide gets down into the tank.

The biocide would do you any good if it is stuck in the filler neck or hose to the tank.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

schmitts711

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Yup, add the biocide NOW.

If you have a long filler tube, follow with 4-5 gallons of diesel to make sure the biocide gets down into the tank.

The biocide would do you any good if it is stuck in the filler neck or hose to the tank.

Good advice. Maybe I'll mix the shock dose of biocide into a couple gallons of diesel, and then pour it in. Hey, Wolfe, do you have any idea why the bottle of biobar includes the disclaimer against using it in 'on road vehicles'?

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schmitts711 wrote:

Hey, Wolfe, do you have any idea why the bottle of biobar includes the disclaimer against using it in 'on road vehicles'?

Total speculation on my part, but it MAY adversely affect the new diesels with the much more complex emission systems.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It says "NOT FOR USE IN ON-ROAD VEHICLES" because it is not a certified fuel. Other than that, the remaining issue is if you have contamination, it may clog the fuel filters. Just be ready.

Matt - a ship's engineer that worked in Detroit

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.