|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New to RVs.....A Few Newbie Questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SUMRX4 said the same thing I was going to say as well about attending the Hershey show. Do you have a floorpan in mind already? If so, look at those on factory websites and IF going to the Hershey show, call the mfr up of each brand/floorplan your interested in to see if it will be at the shoe. If not, then what dealer would have it that you could drive to see it within "X" mile radius. DON'T buy on BLING !!!!!! A lot of mfr's/dealers will load/dress them up w/ everything to get your attention and OUUUUUUU, AHHHHHHHHHH. Look at floor plans that meet your criteria and , "we can make it work" if it doesn't.

As you've read on this forum, many folks are partial to their brand wether it be RV, truck, hitch etc. Most will agree too that anything over 15k total RV weight is DRW territory. Translated: over 3k in wet pin weight and 15k in overall weight or max weight of RV. Do you want gas or diesel? Diesel will net better pulling and mpg's but they can be $$$ to fix along w/ other factors. Look at gas stats. Will you be in a lot of hills or flatlands?

Lastly, THANK YOU for your service to our country and helping the rest of us to be safe and enjoy the freedoms put in place by our forefathers.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

ronharmless

The far side

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going to full time in it (or anything that equals "a lot of time") you probably want something that is truly "4 Season". They are going to have better insulation (for hot and cold purposes) and other similar amenities.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

x-2 on RV outlet USA good people and service, They carry the Keystone lines, but have almost no inventory right now, but may be worth ordering through since you have time. RV outlet USA
K-Z you have a dealer near West Point Va. Scenic view rv
General RV carries quite a few Grand Design, but I would recommend just perusing the units, I would look elsewhere to buy.

Also if you are looking Ram, while out in Danville area check out Kernersville Ram/Dodge
One of the bigger Ram dealers in the area and usually have plenty in stock.

I'll second the KZ suggestion. I'm pretty happy with our '17 Durango 1500 277RLT. Currently, KZ has 3 model lines for Durango, the Durango Half-Ton (used to be 1500), the Durango (used to be 2500) and the Durango Gold, their top of the line. For the money you have budgeted, I'm sure you could get into the mid-level Durango (as opposed to the Durango Gold), new. If you shop around, you just might luck into a Durango Gold trade-in.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 63 Year Member

etcsthorne

East Coast

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

SUMRX4 said the same thing I was going to say as well about attending the Hershey show. Do you have a floorpan in mind already? If so, look at those on factory websites and IF going to the Hershey show, call the mfr up of each brand/floorplan your interested in to see if it will be at the shoe. If not, then what dealer would have it that you could drive to see it within "X" mile radius. DON'T buy on BLING !!!!!! A lot of mfr's/dealers will load/dress them up w/ everything to get your attention and OUUUUUUU, AHHHHHHHHHH. Look at floor plans that meet your criteria and , "we can make it work" if it doesn't.

As you've read on this forum, many folks are partial to their brand wether it be RV, truck, hitch etc. Most will agree too that anything over 15k total RV weight is DRW territory. Translated: over 3k in wet pin weight and 15k in overall weight or max weight of RV. Do you want gas or diesel? Diesel will net better pulling and mpg's but they can be $$$ to fix along w/ other factors. Look at gas stats. Will you be in a lot of hills or flatlands?

Lastly, THANK YOU for your service to our country and helping the rest of us to be safe and enjoy the freedoms put in place by our forefathers.

Thank you for the thank you (service). I'm torn on the diesel part because I know what you say is true about fuel and repairs. Will the larger gas trucks pull the fifth wheels? Electronics Technician in the service and database analyst / program manager in Civil Service and this of all things seems like rocket science to get the weights figured out! LOL! I feel so newbie'ish.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

etcsthorne wrote:

Thank you for the thank you (service). I'm torn on the diesel part because I know what you say is true about fuel and repairs. Will the larger gas trucks pull the fifth wheels? Electronics Technician in the service and database analyst / program manager in Civil Service and this of all things seems like rocket science to get the weights figured out! LOL! I feel so newbie'ish.

Depends on how big of a 5th wheel (GVWR).
- 16,000lb+ Diesel is the way to go.
- 10,000lb or less, I would lean toward Gas for simplicity and lower up front cost

The days of saving money with cheap diesel fuel to cover the up front cost are long gone and it's nothing for a gas truck to last 200-250k miles, so you really won't gain anything in terms of longevity.

Between those numbers it's a spectrum...the higher the weight and the more miles (particularly in mountains), the more I would lean toward diesel. Also, if it's a full height overhang, that creates more wind resistance favoring the strength of a diesel.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The newest trucks when set up for it can pull over 15,000 lbs. The Ram's with the 8 speed gained about 3000 in towing cap. The new 6.6 GM's are up to about 16,400 when properly set up, and the Godzilla powered Fords are claiming 17,000 I believe.

If you are in a hurry, and expect to be in mountains a lot, the oil burners will pull better, and the exhaust brakes are a plus. The oil burner will cost more up front, cost more to maintain, and uses a more expensive fuel (although slightly better mpg offsets this).
The Gas trucks will be a little slower up hills with a trailer, how much will depend on the trailer. Personally I would like that the truck uses the same fuel as my generator, so I always have a little reserve. And there are times Diesel isn't available, without some searching.
As someone else said over 15,000 I would look/lean diesel, but at 12-14, I would likely go gasser.
And again , I'm not generally in a hurry.

lucy6194

Cape cod MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 11:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are retired military check out RV camp grounds at military bases.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/21 02:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to mention as it was said to me few years back that the heavier the RV usually translates into a better built unit. Thus it will ride better, stand up to long term use and better built quality overall (not always tho).

Splashers3

Oakville, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From one Twidget to another.....Thanks for taking the reins...I spent time at Pier 12/13.....LOL.I too am retired from the DON, last 15 years as a flight test engineer, last 3 yrs on TRITON.

Hey, consider Forest River's Cedar Creek line....Coastal RV is near by up in the Newport News area. Not sure how many units they have on the lot. We are on our 2nd CC....and Yes, a full bed, diesel dually is the way to go, if you want ease of driving and stability. Your rig won't be pushing the truck around....ask me how I know.

Richmond Raceway usually has a RV show, not sure if they still do. AS mentioned Hershey is really great.

Good Luck on the search, its the most fun...and as was stated, whatever you buy, will have issues.

Mike

2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/21 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lucy6194 wrote:

If you are retired military check out RV camp grounds at military bases.

Have to be =very= careful about that, as many bases will not allow you to defend yourself. We looked at going to the RV park at USAFA, and that was near the top of the "rules list", so I checked that one right off. I checked a couple others around the country, and they were the same.

Lyle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New to RVs.....A Few Newbie Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.