|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Battery size question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would just get one deep cycle battery and bring it home during off season to keep on a battery tender.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/21 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyp4951 wrote:

I would just get one deep cycle battery and bring it home during off season to keep on a battery tender.

Or get a small 50w solar panel and just leave the battery in place.

That or if the disconnect isn't disconnecting, remove the terminals and it's fully disconnected.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is my battery monitor shunt and disconnect switch. While the house batteries are AGM (with no corroding fumes) there are nearby flooded starting batteries. I spray the shunt and the connections with a battery protector.
[image]

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Pianotuna - there's no need to remove them. Just charge them and disconnect the leads. My batteries last 7 - 8 years that way, why make life difficult and you're not getting any younger or stronger.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/21 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbyg123 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Long story short, I made the mistake a few years ago of purchasing the biggest batteries that I could fit into the provided box on my 5th wheel, but the spacing is so tight that it was a major pain in the arse to remove them for winter storage. The worst part of the decision is that I didn't even need the extra power that the batteries provided. Live and learn.

OK, so now I'm ready to replace the batteries, and I want to do it right. Since I'm already set up to run 2 batteries in parallel, I'll probably just go that route with (2) 24M Group Batteries. I think they're only 2" shorter in length, but that's exactly what I need to get them in/out more easily.

Is there anything else I should consider that I might be missing? Lastly, what's a good middle of the road battery brand? I've always used Interstate batteries, but the nearest dealer is too far away from me now.

Thanks.

Personally, I've run 2 6v golf cart batteries for almost 15 years, now. Get them at Sam's or Costco. Also both my old Komfort and my current KZ have factory battery disconnects. On both rigs, the switch killed =everything= but the slides and landing legs. TV's dead, stereo's dead, LP/CO detector's dead, microwave's dead. Smoke detector in both rigs used internal 9v batteries, so that's a moot point. Frankly, the easiest disconnect "switch", is to simply pull a ground wire off one of the batteries.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 63 Year Member

bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for all of the replies. After some thought, I think I'm simply going to move down to just 1 deep cycle battery. Now that I've gotten a bit older and my boys are grown, we never...and I mean NEVER dry camp anymore. Camping for us means going to RV parks or State parks with hookups or tailgaiting for football games with the generator running all night.

I feel great about this decision, because believe me, fitting (2) Group 27 batteries into my battery box is HELL!!! It's just not made for it.

My final questions for you guys. Do I need to reprogram the converter or do anything to the coach if I move down to 1 battery? I wouldn't think so, but I thought I'd ask. Also, is there any benefit to purchasing a Group 31 over a Group 27 deep cycle battery, or are the differences negligible?

Thanks again everyone!!

2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For pedestal to pedestal one small battery is OK. Charger is OK, a battery monitor if equipped would need to be recalibrated.

bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

For pedestal to pedestal one small battery is OK. Charger is OK, a battery monitor if equipped would need to be recalibrated.

What do you mean by battery monitor? Like the one on the main control panel that shows the tank/battery levels?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbyg123,

The type of monitor you have can't be calibrated--so there is nothing you need to do except get a true deep cycle AGM battery (it will last longer).

My own personal choice would be an SiO2 which may have a lifespan of well over 10 years.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/21 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP - you never say how old your batteries are other than a couple years. If they are still good, why replace them just to get something you can lift? Just disconnect and leave in the trailer - or is there a reason that is not an option? If your batteries are not very old but not charging properly anymore, why? Have you used battery power to a point where you are damaging the battery and not getting proper life out of them? If this is the case, going to a single battery will be harder on that 1 battery and damage it quicker, also possibly leaving you without power if you drain the battery to a lower state. Something to think about before you switch to a single battery. But, with the battery you are choosing, you can always add a 2nd. I went the route of 2 6v, but I like to boondock vs apartment complex camping.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Battery size question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.