RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Thoughts on Lance Nose Cap Filon Replacement

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Thoughts on Lance Nose Cap Filon Replacement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
MLD

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The nose cap filon on my 2006 Lance 951 started delaminating a year or two ago, some of it may have been due to bad caulking on a marker light but some is separate from it and I think it's just a result of old glue and heat from sitting in the sun for 17 years, but it has progressively gotten worse and is very unsightly. I've removed some of the trim to inspect it and while the sidewalls are laminated to plywood the nose has a hardboard/fiberboard backing that is less than an 1/8" thick and appears to be curfed on the back in the areas where it bends around the curves of the nose. I would need to remove both the filon and backing to do the job right, I can buy some filon and 3M 1357 and have plenty of experience laminating but have no idea where to get such a backing. The rest of the camper is in perfect condition, other than the faded & cracked decals, so I would like to keep using it and fix the nose, so I'm looking for thoughts on how to fix it with filon or maybe something other material. I wished it was as simple as replacing the old aluminum siding. Thanks for any ideas.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you thought about a Lance molded front cap instead of filon? I don’t know if it is possible to buy one from them and install yourself, but if not, it seems like you could build your own out of fiberglass or have it done.

There are a few different threads on working with filon here, but you might have to search the archives or do an internet search with site”colon”rv.net in search string to find them.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you check Lance forum? They have several rebuild pictorials available.
Applying new filon require some jigs to apply even pressure, what is not easy for DIY.
I repaired nose on my camper by pulling the siding out, replacing rotten wood, adding Styrofoam where fiberglass was used and gluing it back.
It did not make it perfect cosmetically, but better frame that original.

MLD

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Have you thought about a Lance molded front cap instead of filon? I don’t know if it is possible to buy one from them and install yourself, but if not, it seems like you could build your own out of fiberglass or have it done.

There are a few different threads on working with filon here, but you might have to search the archives or do an internet search with site”colon”rv.net in search string to find them.

That would be great to just attach one of those caps, don't think I haven't thought about it, but I figured Lance probably wouldn't sell one and I doubt it would fit anyway. I have no idea how to build one or where to have one built, probably not a lot of people out there making things like that.

MLD

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Did you check Lance forum? They have several rebuild pictorials available.
Applying new filon require some jigs to apply even pressure, what is not easy for DIY.
I repaired nose on my camper by pulling the siding out, replacing rotten wood, adding Styrofoam where fiberglass was used and gluing it back.
It did not make it perfect cosmetically, but better frame that original.

I'll check it out. I think I could do it, my immediate problem is the backing for the filon. I thought about curfing the back of some 1/8" masonite but that sounds difficult.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On front big curve the filon has no backing. Just 4 or 5 ribs.

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use 1/8" luan plywood, kerfing on the backside as needed.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In lieu of filon, I’ve considered light gauge diamond plate sheeting.
Fairly inexpensive and would look good I think.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

MLD

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phillyg wrote:

Use 1/8" luan plywood, kerfing on the backside as needed.

I will look for some, that would be a better option than the hardboard.

I thought I was spelling kerf wrong but didn't bother to look up the right way. Thanks.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

In lieu of filon, I’ve considered light gauge diamond plate sheeting.
Fairly inexpensive and would look good I think.

My 2012 Arctic Fox came with this on the leading and trailing curves as an option.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Thoughts on Lance Nose Cap Filon Replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.