|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> AT&T no more Wireless Home Phone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
JJnLilly

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a number of years now we have been using a version of AT&T's Wireless Home Phone (WHP)service. It enables us to take our home phone with us when we travelled and kept our same number. The deal was good, $20 a month for unlimited talk. D/W preferred to use the Panasonic handset over our IPhone when making calls from our stick house or on the road or in our winter place.

Well they did away with the service but being grandfathered we are okay for a while, until 3G goes away and our Microcell is trashed (in our stick house we get only one bar on the iPhone but WIFI calling works good). The WHP does recognize the Microcell so we get five bars.

Question is, could I remove the sim from the new WHP device they shipped me and put it into an older iPhone we no longer use. The older iPhone has bluetooth and the Panasonic is set to accept bluetooth so I could pair them. Then I could put the older iPhone on WIFI calling and not miss the Microcell.

2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We gave up on "Home Phones" years ago. And so did the majority of households. It's 100% cell phones for us. Works great, saves money. Have never looked back...

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Landlines are a thing of the past. Even most office phones have switched to IP. Our phone travels with us and we keep our same number using skype. Even works internationally.

If she prefers a retro-handset, look online and you should be able to find one.

If your phone is compatible with the current cell system, you should be able to move the sim but you also need to associate it with the phone. This assumes you own it outright and it's unlocked (which an old phone usually is)

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My home phone is in my pocket and goes everywhere with me.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still have one of those wooden phones that hang on the wall and you crank a handle to make a call. Hard to carry in the RV. So it just hangs there since we have had a cell phone for ever that works every where.
Have a 65 GTO in the garage that also sits since we drive the Smart car most of the time. Suppose we will have a Tesla one day---Progress, you are either ahead or behind. LOL!

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have home internet service, you can connect it to a Polycom adapter for unlimited calls using Google Voice. I believe you can still port your existing phone number to Google Voice if you don't want to use their number.

You then just connect any cordless phone to the Polycom adapter using the standard phone jack for unlimited Free calls to U.S./Canada. Can also make/receive calls from your cell phone using the same home phone number.

JJnLilly

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The AT&T WHP is not a 'land-line' as it is not wire connected.

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had a Verizon Home Phone since they first came out. We have his and her cell phone and a home number this way. We also like having phones everywhere for the home number so currently have 9 phones scattered around. I assume at some point Verizon will drop support also unless they come out with a new version. I have looked into the Bluetooth paired phones a few times over the years and they seem to always have mixed reviews.

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJnLilly wrote:

The AT&T WHP is not a 'land-line' as it is not wire connected.

Ironically, I have this AT&T home phone router but never got to use it. AT&T cancelled the service to new customers shortly after I had acquired it. Bad timing?

Instead, I used a VoIP provider w/E911 for a home phone which only costs a few dollars a month. However, the initial configuration involved manual setup which was not straightforward. It came with a default phone number at the plan's price, but VoIP settings allowed to configure a custom caller ID. Outbound calls displayed my home phone number, and not the actual number. Received calls would forward to the VoIP default number.

Cristian123

Phoenix, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also completely switched to mobile phones, though my wife's parents still have a home phone, and as far as I know, they use Cricket Wireless. AT&T has faster data speeds, more plan options, and better perks, whereas Cricket has more affordable pricing. Maybe it is still possible to switch. Here is a cricket wireless phone number if you are interested and want to find out the details.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> AT&T no more Wireless Home Phone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.