RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Are Ground Bonding Plugs required for Each Inverter/Genny?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Are Ground Bonding Plugs required for Each Inverter/Genny?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need only 1 plugged into either genny. This will bond the yellow/green wires to either the red or black wires on both gennys. I don't know which is neutral.

You can verify this by plugging your bonding plug into either genny and measure resistance from the ground to neutral on either receptacle on the paralink. It should measure close to 0. Unplug your bonding plug and resistance should go high. All this with it powered Off of course.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

As I understand it the parallel link has only two wires to each generator. Thus you will need to bond at the 30 amp outlet in the P-link.

I don't know about the Champion paralleling system, but the Honda paralleling system has 3 wires between the generators. It bonds the Hot, Neutral, and Ground. The bonding plug can go in any outlet as long as that outlet is on one of the generators.

And no, you do not need a bonding plug on each generator. One, on either generator, is sufficient.

ON EDIT: I just looked up the Champion parallel kits. They, also, have 3 wires. They have Hot, Neutral, and Ground.

* This post was edited 09/01/21 08:22am by Bobbo *

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the link for the Link it shows the yellow wires going to each gen's chassis ground lug.

How does the chassis ground for the gen connect to the gen's receptacles' neutrals by using the bonding plug unless the gen's chassis is connected to the receptacles' grounds?

Is that what wnjj meant above?

My B&S P2200 portable inverter gen manual says, "--the AC stator winding is isolated from the grounding fastener and the AC receptacle ground pins. On a floating neutral generator the AC receptacle ground pins are not functional. Electrical devices, such as a GFCI, requiring a functioning ground pin will not operate."

* This post was edited 09/01/21 10:10am by BFL13 *

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

In the link for the Link it shows the yellow wires going to each gen's chassis ground lug.

How does the chassis ground for the gen connect to the gen's receptacles' neutrals by using the bonding plug unless the gen's chassis is connected to the receptacles' grounds?

Yes, the ground pins on the 20A receptacle are connected internally to the ground lug, which is where you attach the parallel kit ground.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

Yes, the ground pins on the 20A receptacle are connected internally to the ground lug, which is where you attach the parallel kit ground.

See my edit from the B&S manual above though.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

I just verified this on all four of my Champions, one being an inverter model. The receptacle ground prong is tied to the external ground lug on all of them. He will connect the yellow/green striped ground wire to the ground lug and plug a bonding plug into any receptacle on either generator. This will bond ground to neutral on all receptacles. You want to bond at only 1 point.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My B&S P2200 portable inverter gen manual says, "--the AC stator winding is isolated from the grounding fastener and the AC receptacle ground pins. On a floating neutral generator the AC receptacle ground pins are not functional. Electrical devices, such as a GFCI, requiring a functioning ground pin will not operate."

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

That says nothing about the ground pin being isolated from the grounding fastener; those are indeed tied together. It's just saying (in a rather confusing, roundabout way) that the neutral--the stator winding--is not bonded to the two ground connections, but rather isolated from them.

I have no idea why they suggest a GFCI requires a functioning ground pin to operate. A GFCI specifically does not need a ground to operate. In fact, using a GFCI is one acceptable way, I think the only one permitted by the NEC, to install a receptacle accepting a three-prong grounded plug in an ungrounded two-wire AC branch circuit.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good catch, DrewE

https://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocument......../default.aspx?filename=ngjpyNY.p9ZVj5K1w

Page 22 of that has the wiring diagram, where it seems the ground for the receptacle goes to GT and so does what could well be the chassis ground.

EDIT--the thing also to GT in that diagram appears to be the paralleling connection, which has three pins to it. You see the plugs on the two cords from the kit here--they are sort of triangular and go in the same shaped receptacle on the gen.( I looked at mine under its cover flap--three holes for prongs) I do not have a wiring diagram for the kit.

So it seems one of the kit three prongs goes to GT

https://www.briggsandstratton.ca/na/en_c........le-generators/inverter-parallel-kit.html

Glad we got that cleared up! Gads!

* This post was edited 09/01/21 02:02pm by BFL13 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Are Ground Bonding Plugs required for Each Inverter/Genny?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.