|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Motor coach with bunks recommendations for family

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/21 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just traded in a few weeks ago, our 2012 Georgetown 351DS with bunks that was an awesome unit, and served us great for 9 years. Now own a smaller Newmar (see signature), as kids no longer camp with us, and could no longer fit in the bunks, anyway.

I would agree with the previous comments about avoiding units like the ACE that have questionable build quality. One thing I learned over the years with the Georgetown is that you really, really do get what you pay for when it comes to RVs. There's a lot of units out there that ain't built too well. If you can afford a unit like a Tiffin or Winnie (or even Newmar) that is known for better quality, you really should go that route.

And, yes, there are LOTs of Class A options out there with bunkhouse floorplans. Especially ones built in last 10 or 12 years.

* This post was edited 09/02/21 02:45pm by willald *

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis
See it here

jlrmfc21

Midlothian, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

jlrmfc21 wrote:

Thank you all for the info! I did notice that the THOR AcE reviews were not good at all. The last thing I want is for it to be in the shop all the time!

So it seems that the general consensus is that the Winnebagos are the best quality for the money? Any other brands you recommend?

I would say Winnebago and perhaps Georgetown only because Tiffin and Newmar don't seem to offer much in the way of bunk floorplans. Thor owns Tiffin now and Winnie owns Newmar anyway.

Like Thor, I would probably pass over Coachmen and Jayco, but that's just my opinion. Winnie makes a pretty decent coach in terms of quality and fit and finish.

Thor does have many other offerings besides the ACE. However even moving up the ladder to their mid tier offerings, I still find the quality sub-par to Winnie. But as with most things, you get what you pay for. The ACE and most other Thors are cheaper than other brands, so it goes back to how much and what you will use it for. Maybe you want to save some coin and get a cheaper RV. That's why there is a market for them.

After all of the comments, I'm leaning towards winnebagos or even the georgetown; and am even looking at higher end models now like Newmars.

From what it sounds liek though, I'd be better off even buying a 10 year old NEWMAR than brand new cheaper/lower build quality models. Is that a true statement? Seems like I could always upgrade different items on the interior to make it feel newer?

THANKS AGAIN for all the input!

Dave in TN

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jlrmfc21 wrote:

way2roll wrote:

jlrmfc21 wrote:

Thank you all for the info! I did notice that the THOR AcE reviews were not good at all. The last thing I want is for it to be in the shop all the time!

So it seems that the general consensus is that the Winnebagos are the best quality for the money? Any other brands you recommend?

I would say Winnebago and perhaps Georgetown only because Tiffin and Newmar don't seem to offer much in the way of bunk floorplans. Thor owns Tiffin now and Winnie owns Newmar anyway.

Like Thor, I would probably pass over Coachmen and Jayco, but that's just my opinion. Winnie makes a pretty decent coach in terms of quality and fit and finish.

Thor does have many other offerings besides the ACE. However even moving up the ladder to their mid tier offerings, I still find the quality sub-par to Winnie. But as with most things, you get what you pay for. The ACE and most other Thors are cheaper than other brands, so it goes back to how much and what you will use it for. Maybe you want to save some coin and get a cheaper RV. That's why there is a market for them.

After all of the comments, I'm leaning towards winnebagos or even the georgetown; and am even looking at higher end models now like Newmars.

From what it sounds liek though, I'd be better off even buying a 10 year old NEWMAR than brand new cheaper/lower build quality models. Is that a true statement? Seems like I could always upgrade different items on the interior to make it feel newer?

THANKS AGAIN for all the input!

IF you can find a clean used unit that has been properly maintained, then I'd agree you might get better quality going with something built before the last several years. Carefully ensure the roof and seams have been maintained, and that there has been no water intrusion, delamination, etc. Also ask to see maintenance records for the drivetrain/chassis, and ensure the tires, even if tread looks good, aren't too old (less than 5 years ideally) by checking the DOT codes on the sidewalls. If the maintenance checks out, then upgrading outdated decor can actually be enjoyable, and you will get something of good quality that is personalized to your tastes.

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/21 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiffin Open Road 36 UA. King Bed, Bunks, 1 1/2 Bath.

Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

jlrmfc21

Midlothian, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are really looking at the tiffin allegro red open road 38 qbh. Has bunks. We are looking at years 2011-2016 and they are very nice and seem very well built.

May be making an offer on a 2011 allegro red 38qbh that I went and looked it.
They are asking $125k. Has 54k miles.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a Georgetown, a2012 350TS. Has 3 slides with bunks. The build quality is great. Georgetown is a mid level MH. Definitely stay away from the entry level class A’s…..imagine driving an entry level TT down the road!

I agree, Winnebago, Tiffin, Georgetown, and even the Bounder are good choices.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jlrmfc21

Midlothian, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So after more and more research, we are still torn.

Are the Winnebago class C Minnie winnies decent quality?

We are looking at the 31K. Seems to be a nice setup.

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/21 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiffin Allegro Open Road 35QBA & 36UA.

jlrmfc21

Midlothian, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AllegroD wrote:

Yes we have been looking at those too.

Is it worth it to buy the 38qba with the diesel if I can get a used one for almost the same price???

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jlrmfc21 wrote:

AllegroD wrote:

Yes we have been looking at those too.

Is it worth it to buy the 38qba with the diesel if I can get a used one for almost the same price???

Let me first state that we have owned a 2013 Open Road 36LA and now a 2019 RED 37BA. Both have their advantages and IMO which is best is up to how you use it. The Open Road, with the V10 is a beast and gets 7 mpg. Great for the lower cost. The RED is a 360 so it gets up the mountain but some down to 50mph. It gets about 9 mpg. We went to the RED, as it is our retirement rig. We believe we should have gone to it earlier. Reason is, we will be traveling more and wanted the quieter front end. It is a much smoother ride and handles curves and corners better. It has air ride. The exhaust break and 6 speed Allison is great in the mountains. One of the problems of the RED is that it has 2 15kw AC with heat pump and 1 13.5kw AC. While this sounds good, this almost mandates a 50amp shore power connection, as 30 amp will not run 2 of the AC. We have an 8kw gennie and that will run 2 AC.

I can not say that diesel is better, without the details of year and packages. If things were equal, I would lean to the diesel.

Good luck in your research.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Motor coach with bunks recommendations for family
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.