|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Motor coach with bunks recommendations for family

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AllegroD wrote:

Let me first state that we have owned a 2013 Open Road 36LA and now a 2019 RED 37BA. Both have their advantages and IMO which is best is up to how you use it. The Open Road, with the V10 is a beast and gets 7 mpg. Great for the lower cost. The RED is a 360 so it gets up the mountain but some down to 50mph. It gets about 9 mpg. We went to the RED, as it is our retirement rig. We believe we should have gone to it earlier. Reason is, we will be traveling more and wanted the quieter front end. It is a much smoother ride and handles curves and corners better. It has air ride....

I won't argue that the diesel definitely has its advantages, not the least of which is how quiet it is being in the back. However, things changed a bit when Ford came out with the new F53 chassis and 7.3L big block V8 a year or so ago.

Before plunking down the $100k or more extra it costs for a diesel pusher.....One really owes it to themselves to test drive a gasser motorhome built on the newer F53 chassis with the 7.3 gas big block V8 and improved suspension setup.

It is a significant improvement over the old V10 chassis, and definitely closed the gap some with the diesel pushers. Engine is quieter, and body roll is noticeably less.

Having owned, driven a Georgetown built on a 2012 F53 V10 chassis for 9 years, and now own a 2021 Newmar built on the new F53 chassis....I'm here to tell you there is a huge difference, and Ford has come a long way.

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis
See it here

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

I won't argue that the diesel definitely has its advantages, not the least of which is how quiet it is being in the back. However, things changed a bit when Ford came out with the new F53 chassis and 7.3L big block V8 a year or so ago.

Before plunking down the $100k or more extra it costs for a diesel pusher.....One really owes it to themselves to test drive a gasser motorhome built on the newer F53 chassis with the 7.3 gas big block V8 and improved suspension setup.

It is a significant improvement over the old V10 chassis, and definitely closed the gap some with the diesel pushers. Engine is quieter, and body roll is noticeably less.

Having owned, driven a Georgetown built on a 2012 F53 V10 chassis for 9 years, and now own a 2021 Newmar built on the new F53 chassis....I'm here to tell you there is a huge difference, and Ford has come a long way.

Exactly why I said that it depends on their type of travel. I agree that the newer Tiffins are better built, well insulated and the chassis rides nice. Worth the consideration. What I did not talk about is floorplan. That is one of the first things we looked at when deciding on any coach, as well as how well it was organized and made.

jlrmfc21

Midlothian, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/21 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taking the family to look at the allegro RED 38QBA tomorrow. It has 54k miles, two owners, and they are asking $125k.

I looked at it a week ago and seems like a nice coach.

We aren’t in the position to full time yet as I’m a couple years, 4, out from retirement abs my two girls are 12 and 9. We love the floor plan and think this would be a great coach.

Would it make sense to buy a diesel pusher like this when we will only be using it for long weekends and maybe a week or two a year? I’m more concerned about it sitting a lot not being used and the maintenenace? When I retire in 4 years, we plan on doing 2-3 month roads trips with our girls so I’m weighing if it makes sense to go ahead and buy a nice coach or by a smaller decent class C now and then trade up in 4 years.?.?.?.?

Any other input is greatly appreciated!

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as it is used the way you state there is no issue with buying a DP. The problems come from when it sits unused for months on end. I’m not talking storage, but just unused which is when the problems creep up.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/21 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

As long as it is used the way you state there is no issue with buying a DP. The problems come from when it sits unused for months on end. I’m not talking storage, but just unused which is when the problems creep up.

^^^ What dodge guy said. You are only 4 years out from retirement. On top of that, buy what you want for retirement.

jlrmfc21

Midlothian, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/21 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we are going to put an offer in. :-)

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/21 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jlrmfc21 wrote:

Sounds good. Please Post some pics when all is final!

Mike W

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jlrmfc21 wrote:

and based on the market's very hot asking prices, i'd love to know what you end up paying...yeah, i feel weird asking. But I'm close to retirement as well and they market is still very high. trying to get a feel to see it it is softening a bit.

1987 Executive Diplomat 35
Sad Days
Sold my baby
">

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Motor coach with bunks recommendations for family
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.