RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: LOCAST Receives Unfavorable Court Rulling

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> LOCAST Receives Unfavorable Court Rulling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

bgum wrote:

If you are using what they paid to produce then you should pay them for that use.

How much should we pay for over the air reception? The original concept was that advertising revenue paid the expenses and community antenna/cable systems expanded the reach of that advertising.

The difference is they CHOOSE to provide free over the air transmission.

Once you start transmitting via other methods, those costs have to be covered along with copyright payments up and down the production line.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

If you are using what they paid to produce then you should pay them for that use.

Too much is too much though ... every few minutes, bombarding us. And we do pay, we pay for cable or satellite so they can show us the product. IF the ad convinces us to buy the product, we pay for it, if not we don't - it's on them to convince, not us.

Nothing is more annoying than: Right at an action scene - We'll be right back, after the break - or during a baseball game, cut our Big Screen in half and post some AD scene, again and again. Believe this, if I want something, I know where to get it. AND, if the AD didn't convince me the first time, it's not gonna convince me the next ten times either - more likely, it will make us buy a different brand.

And, I didn't buy a big screen TV, so a portion of it could devote part of itself to that same bombardment of messages from 'sponsors'. I understand, ADs, we see them between segments of 'free' TV. But now, it's pretty much a constant - including that band across the bottom.

Wife and I have nearly quit watching anything. We do subscribe to some apps, and pay the fee to get uninterrupted movies.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

As a kid I remember the reason for cable was it provided commercial free TV. That soon went out the window. Now 1/2 the broadcast time is consumed by commercials and 1/4 of your screen is taken over by that mess running on the bottom. Its commercial progress

When did your major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC) omit commercials when received thru cable?

I only recall the premium channels (HBO, Cinemax) omitting commercials and in large part they still do.

Mel Stuplich

Wausau, WI

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

bgum wrote:

How much should we pay for over the air reception?

The original concept was that advertising revenue paid the expenses and community antenna/cable systems expanded the reach of that advertising.

OTA, (Over The Air), TV reception is FREE but you do have to buy,(pay for), for the TV set and some sort of TV antenna.

thestoloffs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

This is the provision of 17 USC 111 (Limitations on exclusive rights: Secondary transmissions of broadcast programming by cable) that Locast believes they fall under as an IRS recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit {snip}

But, even though they are organized as a 501(c)(3), the LOCAST user is directed on their sign-up page to indicate their level of "monthly contribution". If you don't select one of those levels, you're directed to see if you qualify for a low-income discount in order to view.

To me, it might be netting out as a Non-Profit LLC, but to be one of its viewers, you're still paying LOCAST. That constitutes paying for programming, which is what appears to be the justification for this court ruling.

srt20

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/21 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its all about greed!

Yet they wonder why so many ppl cut the cord and find "other free ways" of watching tv, sports, movies, etc.....

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thestoloffs wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

This is the provision of 17 USC 111 (Limitations on exclusive rights: Secondary transmissions of broadcast programming by cable) that Locast believes they fall under as an IRS recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit {snip}

But, even though they are organized as a 501(c)(3), the LOCAST user is directed on their sign-up page to indicate their level of "monthly contribution". If you don't select one of those levels, you're directed to see if you qualify for a low-income discount in order to view.

To me, it might be netting out as a Non-Profit LLC, but to be one of its viewers, you're still paying LOCAST. That constitutes paying for programming, which is what appears to be the justification for this court ruling.

Did you miss this part of the pertinent law? "...without charge to the recipients of the secondary transmission other than assessments necessary to defray the actual and reasonable costs of maintaining and operating the secondary transmission service."
(emphasis added)

Locast has dropped the 15 minute donation pleas though, at least during the legal proceedings.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dutch_12078

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

bgum wrote:

How much should we pay for over the air reception? The original concept was that advertising revenue paid the expenses and community antenna/cable systems expanded the reach of that advertising.

The difference is they CHOOSE to provide free over the air transmission.

Once you start transmitting via other methods, those costs have to be covered along with copyright payments up and down the production line.

TV/radio stations don't CHOOSE to provide free OTA transmission, it's a requirement of their licenses to use the public airways. And non-profit signal translators have been around for many years. What Locast is doing differently from other translators is in how they "rebroadcast" the OTA signals via the Internet to reach a larger audience within the stations DMA.

Dutch_12078

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mel Stuplich wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

bgum wrote:

How much should we pay for over the air reception?

The original concept was that advertising revenue paid the expenses and community antenna/cable systems expanded the reach of that advertising.

OTA, (Over The Air), TV reception is FREE but you do have to buy,(pay for), for the TV set and some sort of TV antenna.

Which is no different than any other way of receiving TV signals. They're really hard to watch without a TV... [emoticon]

bdpreece

Yuma Arizona / Oregon Traveler

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/21 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Locast's "FREE" transmission is almost unusable. Unless you agree to "DONATE" at least $5 a month plus a 50 cent handling fee the interruptions are so long and so often as to make viewing almost unusable. I originally signed up just to get network news but found it so difficult to watch that they sucked me in to the $5.50 donation. I would hate to loose them but, they are definitely in it for the money.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> LOCAST Receives Unfavorable Court Rulling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.