RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: GM and others shutting down production.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM and others shutting down production.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 11:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Reno all the new car/truck dealerships have a great many new and late model used trucks and HD trucks setting on their lots facing the major streets such as Lithia Chrysler/Jeep, Dolan Toyota, Dolan Dodge And Fiat, Corwin Ford, Reno Buick GMC, etc. I closely monitor such things as I am in the market looking. I see no shortage and same with the local new RV dealers. I ask and they are not storing them for the manufacturers but of course their lips are moving.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/21 04:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time to start rethinking supply chains. Perhaps the manufacturers could form a partnership to address mailing more stuff here. Surely the feds could require all critical vehicles, weapons of war, be sourced from 100% made in America parts. Should not rely on an enemy to provide parts for military equipment, or critical communications equipment.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And the issues appear to be even worse for Tesla.
Tesla chip issue
Next year for all but the most expensive models, and they don't even talk about the mythical Cybertruck.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/21 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Anyone thinking to avoid these trucks as possibly problematic?

Tires breaking down. Rubber belts degrading. Rubber seals degrading. Paint oxidizing.

Yea, I could see some issues.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too bad we don't have the know how/technology/workforce/ability/desire to produce these chips in the US.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 06:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Too bad we don't have the know how/technology/workforce/ability/desire to produce these chips in the US.
Sadly, one of the biggest reasons they outsource a lot of these parts is the cost. I'd love to see 100% of our products made on our own turf, but the costs would skyrocket. We think prices are high now.....
I'm sure they have the technology but let's face it, local labor costs a lot more than foreign labor.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You got to be kidding! We can’t even do something as relatively benign as drill for oil in this country let alone something as Environmentally Friendly as strip mining for lithium or silicon. Hard to manufacture chips when you don’t have the raw material to do it with.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/21 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avoiding the politics of this man made crisis I’ll only add that I see a lot of new old stock that will be sold at discount pricing early next year.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

And the issues appear to be even worse for Tesla.
Tesla chip issue
Next year for all but the most expensive models, and they don't even talk about the mythical Cybertruck.

Tesla doesn't share as much data as the other manufacturers but from what I can find out they have been less affected than other manufacturers. The best specific description of production issues that I could find for Tesla was from Bloomberg: "Bloomberg reported that the Shanghai production site was halted for around four days last month amid a backlog in chip supplies that largely affected the clean-energy carmaker's Model Y SUV."

Four days down in one factory is far better than Ford that reported a 30% drop in sales already with more coming. Toyota and others have been clobbered.

Since Tesla designs all of their systems in-house and writes their own software they have been more flexible with substituting available chips for ones that they can't get and have been less impacted than most other car makers. As for deliveries getting pushed out many believe that it is due to increased orders.

The CNN article linked only has this to say about Tesla production:
"Tesla has said it expects to have only more than a 50% increase on its 2020 deliveries of 500,000 cars."

Meanwhile, it has this to say about other manufacturers:
"Toyota (TM), the world's largest automaker by number of vehicles sold, announced Thursday that it was cutting production as much as 60% in the North America and about 40% at plants in Japan in September.
Volkswagen (VLKAF) is also weighing production cuts, and General Motors (GM), Ford (F) and Stellantis have all announced temporary plant shutdowns due to part shortages caused by rising covid cases globally, especially in Southeast Asia, where many suppliers have been forced to cut or halt production."

So Tesla is expecting "more than a 50% increase on its 2020 deliveries of 500,000 cars" and has two new factories coming on line in the next 6 months vs cuts at Toyota, Ford GM and others.

Not nearly as devastating for Tesla as the title suggests.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Anyone thinking to avoid these trucks as possibly problematic?

Tires breaking down. Rubber belts degrading. Rubber seals degrading. Paint oxidizing.

Yea, I could see some issues.

Umm yeah, no, not really. Not at all, unless they sit for years and years.
And, based on current inventory and prices, don’t really see an issue with the mfgs off loading them. The longer the shortage, the more the demand.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM and others shutting down production.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.