|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> white paper on SiO2 batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm still thinkin' SiO2 is a worthy option in the Canadian weather neglected rv sector....

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/21 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

I'm still thinkin' SiO2 is a worthy option in the Canadian weather neglected rv sector....

It is a better solution than LiFePo4, and cheaper unless you wish to "roll your own".

I have ordered one for my generator. The remote electric start has killed off two agm's so far--and the SiO2 replacement is actually cheaper.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/21 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

yup it is if you camp below -17ish or consistant daytime highs below 0 longer than the capacity of your battery. but cost wise isn't the reason. I just priced out SI02 batteries here and to get the same capacity (usable) it is slightly more with SI02 (maybe thats the special BC price) if I do the rool my own (which it looks like I am) then SI02 becomes over 2 to 3 times the price for the same usable AH.

I would also argue that if your willing to move your batteries into the living space (LFP have zero off gasing and can be mounted in any orentation) that you can camp at -40. but anything below -20C would require a heating pad to prewarm the batteries to -20 before starting the furnace, but once the furnace is going now issues.

Steve

* This post was edited 09/12/21 09:47am by StirCrazy *

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> white paper on SiO2 batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.