RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
d3500ram

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2006

View Profile



Posted: 09/03/21 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You've seen it. Road construction with a lane closed and traffic needs to merge from two lanes into one.

Construction companies are now posting signs for traffic to "Use Both Lanes" up to the merge point where there is another sign stating "Merge Here" ...

...yet there are still AW's who get glutious maximus hurt when folks pass them in the clear open lane. These AW's are the ones who, by choice, will line up in the thru lane while an open one is clear of any vehicles right up to the "Merge Here" sign. Fine, that is their choice to stage. Don't get PO'd at those who heed the traffic signs.

Such was the case this morning when there was traffic backed up in ONE lane as I passed proceeding up to the merge point when a person did not care for what the traffic signs were instructing. He pulls out diagonally blocking me in my open lane(I almost hit him and the person behind me had to suddenly stop too!) This was at slow speeds... 25 MHP-ish.

Road construction companies are now more often posting these signs for better traffic control to move vehicle more efficiently, especially through intersection that might be before the actual work zone. Why do those who choose to stage in the thru lane feel so BH that they need to play traffic cop?

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 09/03/21 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been a long, long time since I saw a use all lanes to merge point and merge here sign..

Almost forgot that any road crew uses that setup.

Also known as the zipper merge.

ZIPPER MERGE

Does work better in heavy traffic to keep things flowing but all it takes is one person to decide to play "traffic cop" and block folks from zippering smoothly..

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/02/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/03/21 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

...yet there are still AW's who...

AW's or AH's? [emoticon] We talkin' "holes" or "wipes"? LOL

~Rick


2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/03/21 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a traffic engineer who sets up maintenance of traffic plans as part of my work.

It depends.

Under light traffic conditions where traffic is continuing to move smoothly, merge as soon as you get the chance and don't try to fly past everyone. Doing so and then forcing a merge at the last second causes additional congestion, delay and crashes.

Where the signs are used, is typically where traffic is heavy and significant backups are expected. If traffic backs up too far, it can block off up stream ramps causing more problems. In that case, lining up in both lanes reduces the overall queue length and the associated issues.

It's essentially the lessor of two evils.

Playing traffic cop is rarely a good idea but playing speed racer also isn't a good idea.

PS: The contractor (construction companies) are typically not the ones laying out the plan. They implement what is in the contract.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/03/21 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then their are "EH" holes that fly past everyone and get to the end of the open lane and expect someone to let them in. I won't.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

d3500ram

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2006

View Profile



Posted: 09/03/21 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick Jay wrote:

d3500ram wrote:

...yet there are still AW's who...

AW's or AH's? [emoticon] We talkin' "holes" or "wipes"? LOL

~Rick


AW= #$$ Wagons
(LOL...)

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/03/21 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Life's not long enough to worry about petty people that cut you off in a construction zone. Just let the next guy they cut off deal with them. At some point, they will piss off the wrong person.

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/03/21 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Then their are "EH" holes that fly past everyone and get to the end of the open lane and expect someone to let them in. I won't.


As,long as they are in an actual lane and not driving on the shoulder, let them in.


I really don't get this need to prevent people from changing lanes. The highway isn't a line to get the last donut. As long as the line is moving, you will get where you are going faster than when you block people and stop the traffic.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dedmiston

The West

Moderator

Joined: 01/26/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/03/21 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be The Zipper.


2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230



propchef

NORCAL

Full Member

Joined: 10/02/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/03/21 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

You've seen it. Road construction with a lane closed and traffic needs to merge from two lanes into one.

Construction companies are now posting signs for traffic to "Use Both Lanes" up to the merge point where there is another sign stating "Merge Here" ...

...yet there are still AW's who get glutious maximus hurt when folks pass them in the clear open lane. These AW's are the ones who, by choice, will line up in the thru lane while an open one is clear of any vehicles right up to the "Merge Here" sign. Fine, that is their choice to stage. Don't get PO'd at those who heed the traffic signs.

Such was the case this morning when there was traffic backed up in ONE lane as I passed proceeding up to the merge point when a person did not care for what the traffic signs were instructing. He pulls out diagonally blocking me in my open lane(I almost hit him and the person behind me had to suddenly stop too!) This was at slow speeds... 25 MHP-ish.

Road construction companies are now more often posting these signs for better traffic control to move vehicle more efficiently, especially through intersection that might be before the actual work zone. Why do those who choose to stage in the thru lane feel so BH that they need to play traffic cop?


Maybe it's where I live, but I've never seen anything like this. EVERY construction zone on the freeway here will have signs posted MILES away saying "Left Lane Closed, Through Traffic Merge Right" and yet, despite several warnings to move into the right lane, many don't until the cones literary force them over, at which point they've already lost the opportunity to safely merge. They'll typically move over without looking and usually significantly below the prevailing speed, causing everyone to hit the brakes.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.