RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/21 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tend to move slowly up the open lane and match speeds into an open space and complete the merge at the last of the space so no one passes me on the right. Yes like a zipper. Am I the jerk? It is a lost art in the US and maybe most places. Most onramps or lane ending situations function similar.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

When people have opportunities to move over and they don’t and speed past to the end THAT is the problem. When I pulled in like most have and are in the thru lane we are bumper to bumper near the end. Why should I hit my brakes to let someone in that clearly does not think they should wait like everyone else???
I've had people try to squeeze past me when we are right at the cones. Now I straddle the line between the lanes a good 100 yards before the pinch point.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote: This really shouldn't even be an RV issue, but last time it happened to me, a AW used his fiver to block both lanes about a half mile before the merge. LAME.

If you think about it he just moved the pinch point back "upstream". You're upset cause you had to sit in traffic longer.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Romer1

Bolingbrook, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/21 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen people on Ohio Turnpike get tickets for not merging when signs said and riding the open lane up to the pinch point. I have yet to see some AW merge into the thru lane at 45mph without making everybody else hit the brakes.

The zipper may work well on city streets, but it doesn't on interstates IF everybody merges as soon as they see the signs that a lane is closed ahead.

* This post was edited 09/03/21 08:08pm by Romer1 *

Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited(toad)

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

When you commute for one million miles in your career as I did you will understand.

Well in 22yrs in just one job in my job career, I have 600K miles under my belt, wore out 4 vehicles in the process for that job. Much of those miles on a very busy Interstate with continual road work every summer and plenty of accidents caused by impatient drivers.

You maybe the jerk that ran me off the road one summer as I was rolling with the traffic on the lane to be closed at the merge point..

Not cool.

Nothing to laugh at or make fun of but highly inconsiderate and potentially deadly.

Fortunately, a good Samaritan stopped and with a old 25ft strap I had and a strap he had, I was back on my way.

Public roads are to be shared and comes with responsibilities of ensuring your actions do not cause harm to others. Sometimes this requires your ego to take a back seat and yield to others that may have offended you even if they were wrong in your eyes.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote: This really shouldn't even be an RV issue, but last time it happened to me, a AW used his fiver to block both lanes about a half mile before the merge. LAME.

If you think about it he just moved the pinch point back "upstream". You're upset cause you had to sit in traffic longer.
Nope, wasn't me that said that.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 01:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

When people have opportunities to move over and they don’t and speed past to the end THAT is the problem. When I pulled in like most have and are in the thru lane we are bumper to bumper near the end. Why should I hit my brakes to let someone in that clearly does not think they should wait like everyone else???
I've had people try to squeeze past me when we are right at the cones. Now I straddle the line between the lanes a good 100 yards before the pinch point.

Both lanes are thru lanes until the merge point, at which the two lanes should alternate filling the single lane. If everyone did that there would be no place to “speed past to the end” as everyone would be lined up to the end. The problem is the early mergers who pack into a single lane at the slightest indication of a merge. Early warning signs only make it worse. I’ve been on freeways with long enough backups to block other exits, particularly on urban freeways.

Dave, 100 yards is reasonably close enough to be considered the end though nobody should have to squeeze past if both lanes just alternated.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 05:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have driven millions of miles, and served a lot of time on the other side of the barrels.
All construction zones there will be a average speed thru, and most likely the spacing between vehicles will be tighter than normal. Now when all is moving smooth that tight spacing is not a issue, but when 1 vehicle slows, the next in line will slow more, realize gap is opening pick up speed. If you are setting where you can watch, the traffic ripples like a wave around a stadium.
Now one thing that causes most of those ripples is a car merging into that already reduced spacing. That speedup-slowdown-speedup is stressing everybody, but a heavy truck, the reduced space still must be larger than the car's space. When a couple of hands get side by each, almost immediately the ripples in front of them smooth out, and traffic is soon moving steady at what the average speed traffic can flow thru the zone.
Now as soon as traffic volume is higher than the number of vehicles that can go thru at the reduced speed, vehicles must line up. In most cases, single file, or 2 by 2 would not matter, still the same number of cars. If everybody wants to line up before the lane drop, but you hang in the dead lane run up to steel somebody's stopping room, you are the rectum. Now if everybody zippers together right at the end, that's great. But it works better if all the merging happens well before all the workers.
Whenever a state asks for feedback, I suggest the best thing to do for safety of workers, safety of traffic, and best traffic flow would be outlaw passing anywhere between "LANE CLOSED AHEAD" and "END CONSTRUCTION"

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 05:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^ Makes sense to me... PA has started the zipper thing - on interstates. It confuses us as we are used to getting in line in one lane - then there are the folks that we used to hate zooming past. [emoticon]

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/21 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All is moot for the people that continue to go slow after the lane opens and never allow the line to speed up.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.