RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

When people have opportunities to move over and they don’t and speed past to the end THAT is the problem. When I pulled in like most have and are in the thru lane we are bumper to bumper near the end. Why should I hit my brakes to let someone in that clearly does not think they should wait like everyone else???
I've had people try to squeeze past me when we are right at the cones. Now I straddle the line between the lanes a good 100 yards before the pinch point.

Good call!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If people would get in line when it's easy and NOT wait til the end the traffic would flow faster but there are those that "CUT IN LINE" that feel they should not have to wait like everyone else.

momentum rv

Central Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/21 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it weren't for the last second cutter-inners there probably wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/21 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A roadway is not a queue. There is no "cutting in line".

Do you all get mad because someone passes you on a hiking trail or sidewalk? The road is no different.

Again there is no donut for the first 50 people to pass the merge point.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the signs say to continue and then merge and the “merge here” sign with the arrow? Then that is what you do. Don’t get mad at other people for paying attention to the signs.

* This post was edited 09/04/21 02:18pm by dodge guy *

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Do you all get mad because someone passes you on a hiking trail or sidewalk? The road is no different.

Are you being held up by people cutting in front of you on a hiking trail or sidewalk? Not a very good comparison. Do you also let people get by you at the grocery store checkout? Or the movie theater queue? How about if you have three things, and they guy wanting around you has a whole basket full? I'm sure you'll let them through, that would be the courteous thing to do.

Except for the possibility of blocking streets behind the merge point, why does it matter where the "zipper" point it? Seems to me it could be at the merge sign and then everyone will be traveling at the same speed when arriving at the single lane. The issue is that the passing people have ignored the "Merge Here" thinking they will be in line further along, and bypass a lot of waiting in line. They get to the end of their lane, and try to merge then, but people have to slow down or stop because these people have bypassed the merge point and have to create their own merge point, thus slowing everything down.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

They should do away with the warning signs and let both lanes roll up together than zipper into one when they come to the cones/horses.

Good grief....lets see now traffic is moving along on multi lane highway at the legal speed limit 70 mph and suddenly one or two lanes ends into one !!!

I'll let other drives in front of me....only if they make a honest move to blend after the first few lane closure/move over arrows warning signs and are trying to get over.

Lane closures on a 70-75 mph interstate vs a 35 mph 4 lane city street with stop lights every 6-8 blocks may work differently.

Just the other day I saw a Oklahoma trooper sitting in the closed lane with his overheads on about 1/3 miles before the end on the lane that was being closed on the interstate near me. This spot is a 18 month project and lots on news about drivers using the closed lane to run to the end and hogg in resulting in altercations. LOL...everyone was playing nice with the trooper on that point.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/21 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since this is a RV site, I hope none of you merge at the last point with your RV.

Although I suspect there are a few who would.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/21 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Are you being held up by people cutting in front of you on a hiking trail or sidewalk? Not a very good comparison. Do you also let people get by you at the grocery store checkout? Or the movie theater queue? How about if you have three things, and they guy wanting around you has a whole basket full? I'm sure you'll let them through, that would be the courteous thing to do.

Except for the possibility of blocking streets behind the merge point, why does it matter where the "zipper" point it? Seems to me it could be at the merge sign and then everyone will be traveling at the same speed when arriving at the single lane. The issue is that the passing people have ignored the "Merge Here" thinking they will be in line further along, and bypass a lot of waiting in line. They get to the end of their lane, and try to merge then, but people have to slow down or stop because these people have bypassed the merge point and have to create their own merge point, thus slowing everything down.

A hiking trail or sidewalk is exactly the same thing - it is a limited amount of space to get from one point to another and those points may be different for each person. As long as you are moving forward, you will reach your end point regardless of how many people are on the trail or sidewalk.

With vehicles, the issue is that everyone tailgates so that others can't merge in. By blocking others from merging, whether "here" or "there", YOU are impeding the flow of traffic. When you won't let that other car merge at 10, 20, 45 mph, you force the next guy to have to stop to let the other car in. And that makes YOU the cause of the problem.

Again, roadways are not queues (lines). You don't "take your place in line" and never waver until you all reach the same endpoint for a common goal. Vehicles enter and exit at multiple different points, they merge between between lanes, the drive at varying speeds.

When you don't let a vehicle merge, you are going against the rules of the road. You are playing "god" and decreeing how everyone else behaves. For what? So you can pat yourself on the back and say "there, I showed him!" . Wow! That's sexy!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I have never encountered a grocery store or movie theater queue where two lines combine into one when you reach the cash register...or halfway down the line. The merge two lines into one operation simply doesn't apply to (most) such queues.

If I'm waiting to get on a subway, with a bunch of people standing around on the platform, and then the train comes in and everybody has to line up near wherever the train doors end up at, then yes I'll let some people "cut" in front of me so that everybody can get on in an orderly and expeditious manner.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.