RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/06/21 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

I always appreciate it when a truck or other large vehicle moves over a little to block the merging lane so the racing up the line bozos get cut off.
The best was when the racing bozo went to pass a semi on the right and ended up in the ditch because the shoulder disappeared. You could almost hear the cheer!!
Matt


Curious why someone's misfortune is funny. That in and of itself is a large part of the problem. So what if someone was using another lane to get further ahead? People take this stuff personally and it's the furthest thing from being personal. The "I'll show you" driving habits just cause more issues than they solve. "I'm not going to let someone in and arrive 15 seconds later because of it". Idiotic. And why? If someone is in so much of a hurry, let them. Ask yourself how you are impacted in any way. You aren't. People are strange when it comes to driving, making it all about themselves. I read a study once that detailed how people take a longer time to leave a spot when they know someone is waiting for it. This selfishness, self entitlement and power struggle is just stupid and causes issues.


2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/06/21 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Darklock wrote:


Nope, you don't get it. The lane is open all the the way until it is not.

100% Correct.

Quote:


And to add: driving a million miles does not mean you know any better. If you do something wrong a million times it is still wrong.

I was thinking the same thing. It's a whole lot of practice at doing it wrong.


If you say so, there are people that know when it's time to merge and then there are those who fly right up to the end and force their way in.

I am in the previous category and it didn't take a million mules for me to figure it out!


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/06/21 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

propchef wrote:

Darklock wrote:



Nope, you don't get it. The lane is open all the the way until it is not.
And to add: driving a million miles does not mean you know any better. If you do something wrong a million times it is still wrong.


So everyone should ignore the signs (several of them) that say "Right lane ends, through traffic merge left"?

If you keep driving, ignore any signs and pass on several opportunities to safely merge just so you can be one or two cars in front of me, don't expect me to go out of my way to let you in.


AHMEN Brother!!!!!!!!

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/06/21 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

I always appreciate it when a truck or other large vehicle moves over a little to block the merging lane so the racing up the line bozos get cut off.
The best was when the racing bozo went to pass a semi on the right and ended up in the ditch because the shoulder disappeared. You could almost hear the cheer!!
Matt


As long as none of God's creatures were hurt that is certainly something to applaud.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/06/21 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

propchef wrote:

If you keep driving, ignore any signs and pass on several opportunities to safely merge just so you can be one or two cars in front of me, don't expect me to go out of my way to let you in.
OK don't be mad at me but we are doing the exact opposite. I would expect you to keep it tight until the end.... then give space to exactly one vehicle. That is what the zipper is all about.

Your method allows you to bring in multiple cars as you inch forward and as they get in early more slide along the side to pass and make your line aggrivated.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

d3500ram

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2006

View Profile



Posted: 09/06/21 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we are splitting and delving onto different scenarios...

My OP was about the situation in which there are signs posted that vehicles are to use two lanes right up to the merge point in a slow speed situation. It is for road construction in a small mountain town. Speeds are in the 15-25 MPH range. The intent is to stack both lanes so as to not block an intersection as well as to not block, ironically, a round a-bout on the opposite side of construction on the same road.

Folks who play cop and block other vehicles in this situation are ignorant, rude and rectally-hurt that cars are passing them when they, had they chosen the other lane, could have been a half-dozen cars ahead.

Other situations that this topic has swerved into is a lane ending on an interstate, highway or more open type route. It may be because of construction or simply where a lane ends because the extra width is not needed. It is where signs inform drivers, that may be traveling at higher speeds (60-70 MPH), that a lane is ending and that at the soonest opportunity they should steer into the through lane.

Folks who do not merge into the travel lane and speed past the other drivers who heeded the signs in that latter described situation are rude, ignorant and think they are more important than the other saps who are patently waiting in line (should there in fact be a line.) These AW's are ones who can potentially do more harm because of the speeds involved.

The bottom line is to follow the signs.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2011

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 09/06/21 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter the type of merge, it would all go much smoother if drivers would just alternate one vehicle from each lane, BUT that doesn't happen vehicles from one lane will be bumper to bumper and won't let any from the other lane until there is a big enough break then the lane moves and the other doesn't.


2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

Senior Member

Joined: 11/27/2005

View Profile



Posted: 09/06/21 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, by now there shouldn’t be any questions about WHY the backups always occur.

“You’re doing it wrong!!!” [emoticon]

We all scream……..in unison.

[emoticon][emoticon]


2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!


toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/06/21 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Matt_Colie wrote:

I always appreciate it when a truck or other large vehicle moves over a little to block the merging lane so the racing up the line bozos get cut off.
The best was when the racing bozo went to pass a semi on the right and ended up in the ditch because the shoulder disappeared. You could almost hear the cheer!!
Matt


Curious why someone's misfortune is funny. That in and of itself is a large part of the problem. So what if someone was using another lane to get further ahead? People take this stuff personally and it's the furthest thing from being personal. The "I'll show you" driving habits just cause more issues than they solve. "I'm not going to let someone in and arrive 15 seconds later because of it". Idiotic. And why? If someone is in so much of a hurry, let them. Ask yourself how you are impacted in any way. You aren't. People are strange when it comes to driving, making it all about themselves. I read a study once that detailed how people take a longer time to leave a spot when they know someone is waiting for it. This selfishness, self entitlement and power struggle is just stupid and causes issues.


I agree.

I am just amazed at how this "I'm not gonna let them in" attitude is so prevalent among RVers. And now they are cheering because someone drove into a ditch.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Darklock

Georgia

New Member

Joined: 01/06/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/06/21 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

Yes, the lane is technically "open until it's not", but the reason for the signs are to alert you that the lane will end in "x" feet and as a result of that warning, it is expected that one will merge when it is safe to do so, and not at the end of the lane.

I have never seen a sign that says keep going and then merge at this point (at the end).

Mike

Then read what the OP wrote:"Construction companies are now posting signs for traffic to "Use Both Lanes" up to the merge point where there is another sign stating "Merge Here" ..."

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.