|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Ram 5500 Build

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
EYEMLOST

See Above

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

With flaps, they also lower mpg. Not to measurable degree, but they do.

So does the front camper stands.
So does the aftermarket front bumper.
So does the front storage boxes.
So do the heavier/larger aftermarket tires/rims.

Just sayin'.......

1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EYEMLOST wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

So does the front camper stands.
So does the aftermarket front bumper.
So does the front storage boxes.
So do the heavier/larger aftermarket tires/rims.

Just sayin'.......

Yeah... I'm not exactly trying to squeeze every bit of efficiency out of this thing.

I think if I had to worry about fractional gallons of fuel consumption, perhaps I should have bought a less expensive rig and kept the savings for fuel. $10K less on the rig pays for about 25K miles in fuel, according to some quick/fuzzy math.

EYEMLOST

See Above

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's something more aerodynamic:

[image]

* Adjusted image using width=640

* This post was edited 09/17/21 08:50pm by an administrator/moderator *

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really, it is smooth tail who lowers the drag and the chopped airplane has straight wall there.
Talking about drag evaluation, several members are removing jacks to lower the drag and width, so there are lot of opinions.
For me not adding the flaps was easy decisions. Why spend the time and money to have something that will cost you extra fuel, while giving questionable protection?
Would I drive on gravel roads every day, that would be different story.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tow hooks for a 3500 came in, but don't actually fit - so I went back to the 5500 ones used an angle grinder to notch out the clearance I needed. The 3500 ones look cast, while the 5500s look like forged bar and are about twice as heavy. I'm sure they're still stronger than the 3500 ones even after a little cutting.

[image]

Also installed the mud flaps, 8" off the ground with the TC loaded.

[image]

EYEMLOST

See Above

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread:
Pure truck camper po.rn!![emoticon] [emoticon]

Excellent resource as well indeed.

EYEMLOST

See Above

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp wrote:

We were running over 13K on the rear axle of a 2019 Ram 3500. Despite it handling the load well (with mods), we knew it wasn't responsible to continue with that rig and have spent the last few months looking for a F-550 or Ram 5500.

[image]

For those interested: SuperSprings (4600lb pack) and 245/70R19.5 tires worked wonders on the 3500 with that load.

The market for trucks in general is insane right now, and finding a high-trim 5500 was next to impossible. The wait for ordering one more or less ruled that out.

We ended up finding a 2021 Ram 5500 Limited, 84CA, Cummins, 4x4, with most of the options we wanted in a new truck. It's Granite Crystal with Indigo/Frost interior. Bought it sight-unseen from a dealer 1700mi away from our current location, and had it shipped to us. Has 74gal of fuel, and 4.89 gears.

[image]
[image]
[image]

This week it's getting a Ranch Hand Sport front bumper, 17.5K winch, 11'4" flatbed, and 255/70R22.5" Hercules DT320 tires on 22.5" direct-bolt wheels (Alcoa style, rated for 6K each). That's roughly a 37" tall tire with a fairly aggressive A/T tread. Effective gear ratio with those tires will be around 4.27, or halfway between the optional 4.10 and 4.44 gears.

I'll post updates to the build in this thread, but it should be a beast when done. I decided not to go the popular super single route, because in my opinion it has more tradeoffs than benefits. We never had any issue getting anywhere we wanted with the old truck, which ran 245/70R19.5 Cooper RM253s up front and Continental Terra HD3s in the rear as duals.

We boondock extensively with both the truck camper posted above, and a 39' fifth wheel that has extensive modifications. We also flat tow a 5700lb Jeep Wrangler when hauling the truck camper.

As a fellow-offroader/backcountry traveler:

1) How much sway do you feel with your camper as depicted in the first pic?
a) My concern with a behemoth camper like yours is it's weight swaying during traveling on unmaintained backcountry fire/dirt roads.

2) Any issues with the pull-out as a result of traveling on unmaintained dirt roads?
a) My concern is the vibrations of traveling offroad like we do could wreck havoc on the tracks of said pull-outs causes damage and/or maintenance nightmares.

3) Any issues with the wheelbase while offroading?

4) How much do you think you actually use 4WD while off the road?
a) During my 45 years of offroading (entire Moab spectrum) I've found that I genuinely only use 4WD about 25-30% of the time; granted my rear is locked.
b) Hubs are locked, but I'm mostly driving in 2WD.

5) Any flexing/flexing issues in the rear frame/flatbed area?

I have a '98 FWC Grandby That I've used since '06, but it's been trailered the whole time until this year where I put it on/in my Bronco.

Said set up will be a working testbed for the next 5 years (likes/don't likes-wants/don't wants, etc) before I make the big investment.

I'll be ready to do what you're doing now, in about 5 years.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/21 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EYEMLOST wrote:

1) How much sway do you feel with your camper as depicted in the first pic?
a) My concern with a behemoth camper like yours is it's weight swaying during traveling on unmaintained backcountry fire/dirt roads.

Little to none. The rig was extremely stable due to 245/70R19.5 LRH tires and 4600# SuperSprings, which are basically DIY add-a-leafs. I expect the new truck to be just as stable.

EYEMLOST wrote:

2) Any issues with the pull-out as a result of traveling on unmaintained dirt roads?
a) My concern is the vibrations of traveling offroad like we do could wreck havoc on the tracks of said pull-outs causes damage and/or maintenance nightmares.

Nope. Never had issues in our fifth wheel either, and don't know any other people who've had slide issues that could be tied back to your concern.

EYEMLOST wrote:

3) Any issues with the wheelbase while offroading?

Sort of. We have to be aware of it, and that'll be even more apparent with the 84CA. However, we've never found it to be a detrimental issue and the most damage we've had was some dents in the bottom of the factory steps on the old rig. We'll see how the new one does.

EYEMLOST wrote:

4) How much do you think you actually use 4WD while off the road?
a) During my 45 years of offroading (entire Moab spectrum) I've found that I genuinely only use 4WD about 25-30% of the time; granted my rear is locked.
b) Hubs are locked, but I'm mostly driving in 2WD.

We use 4WD often, especially in mud and snow. We use 4LO even when traction doesn't require it, because it the low range just lets you crawl over obstacles you'd otherwise have to throttle out on. I had the old rig stuck a handful of times, but had the winch/ recovery gear/ Jeep to get it out with and that was part of the fun.

EYEMLOST wrote:

5) Any flexing/flexing issues in the rear frame/flatbed area?

Yes, but not since going flatbed. The factory bed was a lot less rigid and was subject to twisting off-road, but we've never seen the same movement with a flatbed. We blame that movement for some frame sag issues at the rear passenger corner. I reinforced the area with some angle iron bolted to the frame and the sag is gone. We did go with the 84CA to get more camper support.

* This post was edited 09/18/21 06:38pm by n0arp *

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/21 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the last truck I had a Viair RV-450P compressor permanently mounted under the flatbed. This time I decided to put some of the dead space in the front bumper to use, and keep the wires short so I could use what I had on hand. So here is the same compressor (mounted upside down -- yes I'm aware of the caveats -- it's been upside down for years) from above. Made a cap with quick connect and a cut off bolt. It's wired up to one of the factory aux switches on a relay. I might paint/swap the hardware for black at some point.

[image]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/21 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I never had them driving on West Coast. Even I don't look for gravel roads, I happen to land on them from time to time, including about 30 miles gravel road shortcut in BC.
My 2017 Ford had clear film applied behind the wheels, what protected the paint.
At one time in the past I had to accelerate hard with cargo trailer to merge from gravel pull-out area into highway traffic.
The gravel was flying quite high and the cheap diamond plate on trailer show quite some beating, but Ford's bed did not show any chip.

Well there ya have it. I dunno how they even sell 3 pairs of those stupid waste of money mud flap thingys….lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Ram 5500 Build
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.