|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Ram 5500 Build

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like you are pushing the limits a lot. Have fun!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Seems like you are pushing the limits a lot. Have fun!

Grabbed a photo of that rock that came close to hitting the toolbox. The road lets you go to either side of it, but we're so wide we can't avoid it. Size 11.5 shoe for scale. We slid the rock in the foreground up next to it which made the transition a non-issue. Aside from that, we had plenty of clearance and didn't come close to hitting anything except for a few small tree branches. There is a surprising amount of clearance under the diffs, which I didn't pay attention to prior to this trip.

After looking at it a little closer on my walk, I might be able to avoid the rock on the way out if I'm careful of the trees and really hug the side.

[image]

Also, the trimmings from the front bumper so we could get full articulation up front:

[image]

The roads aren't anything insane, but there is no way we'd have the clearance needed on the factory height tires to make it here. Lots of transitions, dips, rocks, grades, etc, but nothing a large SUV or half ton pickup can't make with a little caution. Being wide makes it a little more difficult because we can't go around certain obstacles and the height of the camper means we have to account for the possibility of leaning into trees on either side. Our Jeep just walks over everything and would laugh if it could.

Hey look, a Gladiator! (Not really...)

[image]

* This post was last edited 09/23/21 04:49pm by n0arp *   View edit history

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Josb612

WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you let me know what the height is from the ground to the camper step/bumper?
Great looking set up

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Josb612 wrote:

Can you let me know what the height is from the ground to the camper step/bumper?
Great looking set up

Thanks. I can take a measurement today, or can wait a bit and take one on level ground. Because of the slope, I don't think anything I take today will be completely accurate.

That being said, the deck height hovers around 42", which is more or less straight back to the top of the bumper. So it should be 42" to the top of the bumper, give or take an inch.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That Gladiator is cool. Who knew they could carry a large TC [emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

That Gladiator is cool. Who knew they could carry a large TC [emoticon]

What’s the rawr on that? And tire ratings and will the rims hold 80psi?
Omgomg omg…

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp wrote:

[image]

This is in an area we frequented with the 3500, but further up the road than we ever ventured with it. We traveled the road in several times with the 3500 but always ended up with a corner up off the ground regardless of the line we picked. The 5500 rolling on taller tires stayed planted firmly on the ground the whole way.

The longer wheelbase almost caused an issue where the drivers front toolbox would have contacted a large boulder in the middle of the road, but we were able to put a rock in front of the rear tire to crawl comfortably up and over. It might have made it otherwise, but with little to no wiggle room. Getting here was a great shakeout/test. It feels notably more stable than the other truck in off-camber situations.

[image]

The front tires also caught the front bumper when compressed and turned at the same time, so we pulled out the angle grinder and did some trimming before proceeding up the road.

Cheers, man!
Angle grinder?
Nothing like a guy who carries an angle grinder, camping, but has the balls and skills to take said grinder and make field “adjustments” on his new 6 figure rig! Love it!

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Cheers, man!
Angle grinder?
Nothing like a guy who carries an angle grinder, camping, but has the balls and skills to take said grinder and make field “adjustments” on his new 6 figure rig! Love it!

Haha, we carry a full assortment of tools including a small welder. Never know when they'll come in handy!

We've done quite a bit of trimming on both vehicles (and many past vehicles) with the cutting wheel to eliminate rubbing -- chopping up fenders and bumpers is now second nature!

Plus, we full-time and perform our own maintenance/repairs so the tools are kind of a necessity.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Right on. Yeah I’d have to have some serious cargo capacity if we were FT. Wouldn’t know what to do without a full compliment of tools!
Seriously cool setup you got there!

mrgrim007

CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp wrote:

Plus, we full-time and perform our own maintenance/repairs so the tools are kind of a necessity.

Where do you work on your truck/camper?

2014 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, Longbed
Rockwood 2608BS - On Order

Sold - 2002 Suburban 2500, 8.1L, 4.10
Sold - 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 212QBW 25' 6"
Sold - 2013 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS 35' 6"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Ram 5500 Build
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.