RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Two part ??? - Has your camping reservation been cancelled?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

 > Two part ??? - Has your camping reservation been cancelled?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
StarkNaked

West Seattle, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/13/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/05/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two part Question - Has your camping reservation been cancelled?

And part two - Will you choose to cancel your reservation even if the campground is open?

Both questions are about the fires burning in many places right now.
And all of the smoke that goes along with the fires.

My answer: Two of the campgrounds on our upcoming three week trip have already been cancelled. Another one is currently closed, but is scheduled to reopen a couple of days before we get there.

As of right now, we will go for it.

Quote from news article in today's paper:
More than 24,000 camping reservations out of 3.2 million so far this year have been canceled due to wildfires, according to data kept by Recreation.gov, which books campsites on most federal lands.

* This post was edited 09/05/21 12:19pm by StarkNaked *

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/05/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think that call should be based on where you are going, and if it will be pleasant in the area, or so smoke filled that you lose any chance of enjoying the trip.

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/05/21 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was facing that this year with Lassen NP. I decided that if the campground didn't cancel my reservation and the majority of sights I wanted to see hadn't been burned then I would go.

This past week, the campground decided to close for the rest of the season and cancelled my reservation.

For me, it really was dependent on what I wanted to do in the area and how much the fire affected that.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/05/21 11:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had that problem last year, with the massive fires in northern Colorado from the Cameron Peak and East Troublesome fires. Several of my reservations at USFS campgrounds were cancelled and refunded. Also had one State Park cancellation and 1 RMNP cancellation. And in September 2020, when the Cameron Peak fire was producing massive amounts of smoke, I camped at a state park about 90 minutes EAST of where I live and the smoke was so bad we hardly left the trailer. Cleared out some on the Sunday we were returning home.


2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/06/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No cancelations due to fires, but I got a email from Texas State Parks canceling my November reservation because of a hunt. No problem with refunds...


Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog


goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/06/21 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've cancelled in the past and this year didn't camp at all in August except for the 1st couple days because of smoke. Smoke is definitely playing a part in choosing where to go. We did cancel two trips last month from smoke.
We're in Oregon.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/06/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some campgrounds and RV parks cancelled reservations just so they could house the fire evacuees. I believe they are awesome for doing this. One even waved it's fees completely, as did a major gambling resort.

teejaywhy

Gilbert, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/15/21 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes and Yes.

We left Arizona for a 4-week trip to Oregon on Labor Day. About a week before departure, we got a message that our planned 3 night stay at Fallen Leaf CG in South Lake Tahoe was cancelled. We scrambled and found 3 nights at a Forest Service CG in Mammoth Lakes. One day later we got cancellation notice for that as all the forests in California were closing due to extreme fire danger.

Ok then, we will just bomb it up through Nevada, avoiding California altogether, and extend our stay at Crater Lake.

After a couple of overnights in NV, We arrived to smoke, low visibility and AQI approaching 200 at Crater Lake. As we planned to hike and bike, not to mention you could barely see the lake from the rim, we stayed one night then bailed. On to the Eugene area. We also cancelled our stay near Bend due to the high AQI.

So yes, and yes.


The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

StarkNaked

West Seattle, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/13/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/20/21 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, another campground is canceled. Now we are up to three cancelations on this trip.

We were supposed to be on Big Sur starting today. At least I found someone else's cancelation in Santa Cruz. So we have a campsite, but we will be listening to the freeway all night.

Highway 1 on Big Sur would be much more peaceful!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

 > Two part ??? - Has your camping reservation been cancelled?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.