|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gassing Your Gasser

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/21 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As this is my first MH and essentially first time driving something this large, I am having a bit of anxiety about driving this thing with a Toad in and out of a gas station. With the Toad I will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 60' long total. Our maiden voyage will be 9/18 to Marathon Key, FL which will also mark the beginning of our adventure full timing.

I have driven to a Love's recently without my Toad and was able to get an end pump so it was pretty easy to get in and out. I might be overly concerned about nothing. I have watched a video on YouTube about a guy who covered this subject and how he gets his DW to Google Earth the station before arriving to plan his entrance and exit. Just looking for some pointers from some of you more experienced folks on things to do (or not do) or what to look out for so I don't paint myself in a corner.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Loves and Pilot have done some of the planning for you. Use them and you should have no problems. Start looking at 1/4 tank. Slow and easy get your copilot to help you look.

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest that you take advantage of the special RV fueling islands at FlyingJ.
We too drive a gasser and refuel at FlyingJ whenever possible. They accommodate our MH and toad quite easily and we're about 63 feet long. Download the Pilot/Flying J app to view locations along your travel route. You even save 5 cents a gallon with your GoodSam card.

2010 Suncruiser

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Pilot/Flying J app. Didn’t know they had special islands for RV’s. That will be helpful. Thank you!

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/21 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel on a lot of back roads so we don't always have the big truck stops available. Once I get to about 1/4 tank or so I will stop at any station that has clear access to their pumps. Sometimes it is a little station with pumps adjacent to the road or other type of station where I can see that I will have easy access in and out. I do not get hung up on stopping for one specific brand when I need fuel. I just go for the ones where it is obvious that I can get in and out with ease.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/21 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Station with island pararallel to the building are normally easier to get in and out.
FlyingJ/Pilot stations are commonly higher price for fuel.
Other truck stops are very easy to get in and out even on car island. Love's and TAPetro are examples.
Get fuel early in morning or later in day to avoid high volumne.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do a lot of camping in Oregon, over the years I've used a lot of the Costco stations so I know which I can get in and out of easily. I used google maps to scope out the entrance and exits and then I call ahead. The Pilot stops around here tend to be newer and easier to navigate around, one of the Flying J's was pretty bad so I've been nervous since most here are a bit older. But using maps is one good way.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not even possibly limit myself to truck stops types like Loves, pilot etc. In fact I avoid them.

Our longer trips are usually several months and 10,000 to 15,000 miles and our most common stops are Costco and Sam's Club. If this is your first real experience with a gasser and towed, I would suggest you spend some time in a few parking lots learning how well you rig turns and what your tail swing is. Big box stores and supermarkets with stations usually are in urban settings and are designed to allow gasoline transport tankers easy access and egress, I tow and my 34' plus RV and GMC Canyon is a little over 50'.

I have only had to disconnect once in over 25 years of rving and towing.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

I have the Pilot/Flying J app. Didn’t know they had special islands for RV’s. That will be helpful. Thank you!

"THEY" don't...Flying J does at most locations. Comparatively speaking Pilot has them at just a few locations. You've already discovered that end pumps closer to a side exit are one way to deal with it. we are also roughly 60' overall length and you will become more comfortable at "regular" gas stations. just remember if you're hauling your toad using a modern dual-arm towbar (as opposed to an outdated 'A' Frame...yes we saw one of those a few years ago) your toad will/should follow your MH within the MH's footprint. if you can maneuver the MH out of a spot your toad should follow no problem.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The anxiety will wane with experience. Go slow and use a spotter.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gassing Your Gasser
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.