|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gassing Your Gasser

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/21 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to make things easier, I installed a small camera right above my gas fill door and connected it to an extra video input on the dash. Now I don't have to guess how to position the RV to make sure the pump hose will reach.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great advice so far.

Not sure if this has been said yet, but in my opinion, I will opt for a station with a higher price per gallon if the access is better. It's just not worth the heartache of possible damage, or even the stress of causing that damage, to save a few bucks. Usually I fill with about 50 gallons of gas while on the road. Even if the price difference is $0.20 per gallon, that amounts to about $10. That amount is trivial in the overall operating expense & vacation budget. Heck, $10 doesn't even feed one of the (fully grown) kids at MacDonalds! LOL

While the cost is higher, many times the stations which are right on a major highway often have better access, too. You'll pay a bit more, but again, much lower stress.

I start looking for potential spots about 50 miles or so before I really want to fill up. And even then, I'd have 20-25 gallons left in the tank.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Mike W

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try hard to plan my gas stops out ahead of time. Obviously it won't work out exactly every time. So I also carry and use "Next Exit." Big reference book ($20 something on amazon) and it stakes out each exit on US Interstates. Marked in red are stations that can handle long rv rigs. It has never let me down. Obviously if you take other routes it doesn't help much. I also do some internet research. Figure out what towns or cities you'll look to refuel and look up the stations that can handle the rig. Then verify on google earth.
CAUTION: I see many have recommended Costco. I would too...EXCEPT my two costco stations near me are iffy at best. Both have sharp turns at exit. One I wouldn't even try, the other you have to be all the way right pump to get out with a Toad. BUT i have seen many other while travelling that are super easy. and you can't beat the prices most times.

1987 Executive Diplomat 35
Sad Days
Sold my baby
">

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gassing Your Gasser
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.