|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> GPS tracker

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/21 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading the previous query on this in General, I'm almost afraid to ask, but I'm considering a GPS tracker for my truck and 5er.

The Optimus GB100 looks like a good one. Anybody else do this?

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/21 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That appears to be about $132 per year subscription and cellular coverage. Reviews read like satisfied users.
I use APRS when traveling so my kids and grandkids can see where we're at. Not always within coverage range but generally pretty good.

Camped in every state

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/21 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly, never even considered it. But if you're feeling unsafe, might as well do something about it.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

But if you're feeling unsafe, might as well do something about it.
After having 2 generators stolen, I think it would be so cool to have a tracker on them and be able to tell the police exactly where they are. Not that this particular tracker would work, but a much smaller one would. It's difficult to find chain or cable that cannot be cut by someone determined to have them.

I'm having an RV port installed next week, and it's not real close to my house and clearly visible from the road. I've heard of too many RVs getting stolen, and especially now when they're in high demand and mine's in really good shape.

I'm not convinced most thieves are diligent enough to look for a tracker when they're in the process of hitching up and stealing my RV, and I would know that right now. A generator, maybe. Not a lot of places to hide one there.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course once you locate it, you'll have to find someone in authority to go get it. Trying to get authorities to go get your property could be...interesting. [emoticon]

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

After having 2 generators stolen, I think it would be so cool to have a tracker on them and be able to tell the police exactly where they are. Not that this particular tracker would work, but a much smaller one would. It's difficult to find chain or cable that cannot be cut by someone determined to have them.

This might be a good use of an Apple AirTag. Battery lasts a year and its small enough to hide somewhere hard to find, maybe tape it to the frame or inside the air filter housing (if it's plastic).

The Airtags rely on having someone with an iPhone walk by it to detect it, so it might not help if the thief takes is to his rural farm.

You can get small GPS trackers that report back via a cell connection, but battery lifetime tends to be pretty short on those, though maybe you could find a way to power it from the generator 12V outlet.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Of course once you locate it, you'll have to find someone in authority to go get it. Trying to get authorities to go get your property could be...interesting. [emoticon]

Sorry I don't understand this. If your property is stolen and you can tell law enforcement exactly where it is, why is that a problem? I am sure the insurance company would be happy as well.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Well, aren't you the negative nelly?

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Sorry I don't understand this. If your property is stolen and you can tell law enforcement exactly where it is, why is that a problem? I am sure the insurance company would be happy as well.

You won't have a problem with LE provided there's not some emergency that takes priority. What you're wanting to do is the same principle as LoJack which has been operational for well over 40 years. We had some of our squads fitted with LoJack receivers listening for a LoJack beacon indicating a stolen car in the area.
If you call and tell LE your stolen camper, whatever, is at a given location and you have a tracking unit on it that's a pop fly. Some people are showing they know less about tracking stolen property than they do LE and they don't know very much about LE.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

This might be a good use of an Apple AirTag.
I like it. I have a cat I may want to track too!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> GPS tracker
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.