RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Use of FLEX-SEAL (revisited)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Use of FLEX-SEAL (revisited)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The transom panels on my boat were carpeted and the sun rotted the carpet out. I made new panels and did a couple coats of Flex Seal. It has worked great for going on 5 years now.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Thats cool!
Is it softer like plasti dip or harder like Bedliner?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jesseannie wrote:

A little over a year ago I posted that I used Flex Seal on a tough seal job on the roof. And I was happy.
I was told to wait a year and then report back. Because they said that I would say something something different the performance after a year was poor.
Well I am here to tell you that it performed beautifully.
I believe it was properly preparing the substrate before I applied the product.
I brushed it on and applied two coats it has performed as advertised.

Jesseannie

That's good to hear. Not many things more frustrating than having to redo a paint or sealant that didn't work as it should. (Removal of the old stuff being the worst part of it.)

But I have to ask, if repairing something that you intend to be permanent, and it's not a quick side of the road type use what ya got type repair, why not use a product that is proven to be the right material for the application, rather than some "as seen on TV" type product?

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

But I have to ask, if repairing something that you intend to be permanent, and it's not a quick side of the road type use what ya got type repair, why not use a product that is proven to be the right material for the application, rather than some "as seen on TV" type product?

Even after his death, it's hard to resist the allure of Billy Mays and that ink black beard of his.

[image]

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Ink black beard"? Nope, just another use for FlexSeal. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^Thats cool!
Is it softer like plasti dip or harder like Bedliner?

Closer to tool dip than bedliner. The smooth, glossy finish on my transom panels makes cleaning fish blood and such a breeze.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Even after his death, it's hard to resist the allure of Billy Mays and that ink black beard of his.

[image]

Apparently he left an indelible impression on more folks than I thought!

jesseannie

Roseburg, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/21 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

jesseannie wrote:

A little over a year ago I posted that I used Flex Seal on a tough seal job on the roof. And I was happy.
I was told to wait a year and then report back. Because they said that I would say something something different the performance after a year was poor.

Jesseannie

That's good to hear. Not many things more frustrating than having to redo a paint or sealant that didn't work as it should. (Removal of the old stuff being the worst part of it.)

I used a product on my repair job that was permanent. I did the job at home and cleaned the old caulking of the skylight. I installed Dicor in the big holed and covered it all with paint able Flex Seal. It did a good job better than smearing on Dicor.

Jesseannie

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/21 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jesseannie wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

jesseannie wrote:

Jesseannie

I used a product on my repair job that was permanent. I did the job at home and cleaned the old caulking of the skylight. I installed Dicor in the big holed and covered it all with paint able Flex Seal. It did a good job better than smearing on Dicor.

Jesseannie

While it is still working OK right now, patting your back may be a bit premature, even silicone RTV often works fine for one or two yrs.

Over time, between UV exposure and extreme temp variations most sealants will randomly pull away from the surfaces they are applied to, creating hidden leaks..

"as seen on TV" hucksters put a great sounding spin on everything they want to sell you. Very few "as seen on TV" products really deliver a quality product, most are a huge failure that the buyer quietly shovels it under the carpet and will never admit defeat when the product fails to deliver the promises made by the TV huckster.

As for myself, if it is a $20K+ RV, I am not going to depend on a "as seen on TV" sealant product..

minnow

Upstate South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^This

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Use of FLEX-SEAL (revisited)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.