RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Work-anywhere towing assistance?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Work-anywhere towing assistance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
solismaris

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/21 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently broke my wrist and couldn't drive. Luckily friends back home came out the 90 miles and We got truck and trailer home.

If I was far from home though? The convenience of calling a work-anywhere phone number for:
- Mechanical breakdown: repair or tow to suitable facility
- Personal injury: Get truck and trailer home somehow.

It can be insurance, or pay-for-service - either way. I just need that I can call it 24/7 anywhere in the USA and get reliably dispatched to locals
Does such a thing exist?

David Kojen

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/21 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't run across it, and would likely leave the equipment in the vicinity and focus on the humans. I'll call to the police or the local tow yard and the equipment can be secured reasonably well until someone moves it. That someone may be a paid service, but my priority will be on the humans.

PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the creation. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/21 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

solismaris wrote:

Recently broke my wrist and couldn't drive. Luckily friends back home came out the 90 miles and We got truck and trailer home.

If I was far from home though? The convenience of calling a work-anywhere phone number for:
- Mechanical breakdown: repair or tow to suitable facility
- Personal injury: Get truck and trailer home somehow.

It can be insurance, or pay-for-service - either way. I just need that I can call it 24/7 anywhere in the USA and get reliably dispatched to locals
Does such a thing exist?

Check out the Platinum Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance plan and The GS Trip-Interruption Plan. The trip interruption plan is for major emergency incidents where you are unable to drive for medical reasons. They will fly you home and send a professional driver to drive your RV to your home. The wife has to pay for her own flight.
I have had both for years and so far only came close to needing GS to fly me home and drive my RV to my house. IMHO, it is well worth the money for peace of mind.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of folks call 9-1-1 when "Stuff" happens.. and for some stuff that's the number to call... For example one call I got the person was trying to get themselves to hospital but did not think they could make it.. I had him park his car and had the hospital come to him .. His last symptom description was "It can't be my heart I'm only 27".. Do I need to tell you he described Heart attack so well he could have been reading the book? (He got to hospital and far as I know is still alive, hospitals in that area the bad ones have a 95% recovery rate.. not bad at all)

If your are broke down and blocking the road by all means

On the shoulder... Well that depends on where you are.. Many call 9-1-1 but Good Sams. Coach Net, AAA are the recommended but only for members.. NOTE it can take some time for any of those to get a contract service to you. Some of them have "work anywhere" numbers.. You need to ask.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find a non-emergency number for police or highway patrol. Ask what tow service they would use for emergency in that area?
Where you traveling alone?

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Find a non-emergency number for police or highway patrol. Ask what tow service they would use for emergency in that area?

That's a good start but, they will probably call the 'nearest available' tow service.
It's not always the best choice.

Mel Stuplich

Wausau, WI

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coach-Net does that: https://coach-net.com/

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

That's a good start but, they will probably call the 'nearest available' tow service.

What do you think the towing assistance services do?

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Or, because you did not call as a emergency, they give you name/number of nearest 1 or 2.

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience--yours may vary:
In the last 10 years I've had 4 incidents of needing road side service. In 3 cases the service company (different ones each time) could not find someone to come out. So, I'm not wasting any more money on road side service premiums. I'm getting equipped to change a truck or trailer tire and limp somewhere with a broken trailer spring. Those are the vast majority of problems likely to happen to us using only trailers, as long as we keep up on maintenance. A few years of premium savings will pay for even high priced tow service. I think I'll have to give up RVing when I can't take care of simple problems. We are only in a trailer so a motorized unit might have different feelings. Insurance is for rare events, but if it makes you feel better, pay the premiums. Each policy will vary so while one might get your trailer home, the next one might just go to a campground nearby, and some might get the people home while others won't.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Work-anywhere towing assistance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.