|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er accidents

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phillyg wrote:

I'm sorry, well, not really. If you don't know its back there, something's wrong. I can say my 10,000lb boat and trailer, on the hitch receiver, compared to my 15,000lb FW on a FW hitch, do tow differently, but I always know they are there.

People can get in trouble easily from a lack of skill, speed, poor maintenance, overloading, unseen road hazards, other stoopid drivers, and bad weather (sometimes seems like all the above). My only advice is to match tow vehicles to the load, keep speed reasonable, keep head on a swivel and keep up with maintenance.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Well lets say I am aware of our 5er,but having moved from maybe near 300HP and 600ish torque with the chipped 2001 Ram 2500 and 3.55's and a 5 speed manual, to a 2016 Ram DRW HO/Aisin with 385HP and 900# torque, it is like the 13,000# isn't back there!
You are likely towing near 15K with 325 hp and 570# torque with a 4 speed auto. If you were to get even a 10 year newer TV with more HP and torque you would see a difference. You don't specify if your F350 is SRW or DRW, but DRW is a big improvement in stability.

Then you see those pulling 7,000# TT with diesel 250/2500's and the feeling is even less.

Far more important is driving habits, bad ones like following too closely, extreme speeding, lack of skill, and overloading.

Some of it may also be towing too big a 5er with a SRW be it a 250/2500 or 350/3500 SRW. They are both the same basic truck, but the big difference will be tires and springs. The base 250/2500 tires can't carry as much weight as either and upgraded 250/2500 or basic 350/3500.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Shal36

Winter Springs, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Variance in speed on interstates is a major contributor to accident rates. Variance involves both too fast and not fast enough. Towing well under the speed limit is not safer than towing at the limit, conditions allowing. Staying in the right lane unless passing is a good start, but I see way too many cars traveling slow in the left and middle lanes. What we all want to avoid are vehicles with high closing speeds and high speed lane changes. A vehicle in the right lane traveling well under the limit tends to result in high closing speeds for cars traveling at or slightly above the limit, which also tends to produce high speed lane changes. Too many drivers are driving distracted or in the wrong lane or while fatigued or under the influence. All of this stuff contributes to accidents. Traveling slow may reduce the risk of a single car accident but it may increase the likelihood of an accident on a stretch of road in certain conditions.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

I'm not creating a "Rolling Road Block", doing 65 because the other traffic never use the right lane and are running 10 to 20 over the speed limit at least.

So, I guess that you are the one that will run 85 just because that is posted. You do not have to run 85 mpg as that is the MAXIMUM legally posted speed limit. Most of these high speed roads are also posted with 60 mph as a minimum speed. I will stay above tis minimum as long as the road conditions are safe. A section of I-44 toll road in Oklahoma is posted 75 mph, but it is unsafe in an RV at 55 mph. I slowed to 45 mph, right hand land, flashers on and 45 mph until the road was safe to increase my speed.

Many trailer tires are speed rated to 65 mph, yet people do not even look at this.

I will roll along at my 65 mph in the right lane and you can change lanes and blast ahead. RV stands for Recreational Vehicle....not RACE vehicle.

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

I'm always amazed at how fast people tow. Like in an area with 70mph speed limit for cars, and 60mph for trucks+trailers, I regularly see people towing RV's (both 5th wheel and bumper tow) at 75mph+, keeping up with the car traffic.

I don't tow, but when I drive my Class C, I generally stick with the truck speed limit... not only is it safer, but the gas mileage is better too. Just because you *can* drive at 75mph, doesn't mean you *should*, or that you can do so safely.

Just dropping from 65 to 60-62 mph, gives me 1-1.5 mpg, calculated a number of times. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of telling DW that my new Endurance tires are 81 mph rated, so she keeps wanting me to drive faster. I just respond with, "how much of a hurry are you in and how much more do you want to pay to go that fast?" [emoticon] She grumbles a bit and lets me just roll on at my favored 62. I =do= like it that I can roll down a hill at 70 and feel I'm not damaging my trailer tires, though.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 63 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

rlw999 wrote:

I'm always amazed at how fast people tow. Like in an area with 70mph speed limit for cars, and 60mph for trucks+trailers, I regularly see people towing RV's (both 5th wheel and bumper tow) at 75mph+, keeping up with the car traffic.

I don't tow, but when I drive my Class C, I generally stick with the truck speed limit... not only is it safer, but the gas mileage is better too. Just because you *can* drive at 75mph, doesn't mean you *should*, or that you can do so safely.

Unless there is weather or other conditions coming into play...on a clear dry day, keeping up with traffic is generally safer on freeways.

Truck speed limits are put forth by politicians not traffic engineers.

Now if it's a lightly traveled rural freeway, doing 60-65 isn't a big problem but as traffic builds keeping up so you don't create a rolling road block is safest.

But I'm with the other post asking what data is there that a lot of 5th wheel crashes are happening? I've seen far more bumper pulls in crashes over the years.

Decades ago, a study was done in MT or WY, where they opened up a stretch of highway to NO speed limit for a period of 1-2 years. Kept very good stats on speeds, accidents, crashes, injuries, deaths, etc. They then set a speed limit of 80 or 85% of the average speed they'd recorded during the test period. ALL stats went down to =below= the pre-test period, and stayed that way. Of course, the Feds jumped in and F'd it all up by mandating the 55 speed limit and, guess what? All the stats went back up. IIRC, this was based on a similar test that had been done in Germany in the 50's or 60's, when the autobahns were being constructed.

The basic conclusion was that it's not speed that kills so much as speed =differential= that kills.

Lyle

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Now if it's a lightly traveled rural freeway, doing 60-65 isn't a big problem but as traffic builds keeping up so you don't create a rolling road block is safest.

So in heavy traffic with all those BMWs, Audis and such, I need to match their speed? I'm driving my speed, deal with it.

Yup! Amazing how many fewer traffic issues you have when you're in the right lane and everyone else is going around you. :-)

Lyle

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Michelle.S wrote:

I'm not creating a "Rolling Road Block", doing 65 because the other traffic never use the right lane and are running 10 to 20 over the speed limit at least.

Where exactly is the average speed in on a busy urban freeway upwards of 80-90mph?

I'll wait for you to provide data supporting your position. Yes, there is the stray vehicle doing it but I never suggested keeping up with the outliers.

Come to AZ and drive the Loop 101 through Tempe, Scottsdale and N Phoenix. Speed limit is 65, I drive 75, and there have been occasions where I have not passed a single vehicle for miles, but have been passed by 60-70% of the other cars on the road. I'd say that the average speed is close to the 75 that I drive, overall. It's insane. All I can say is, with the number of lifted / modded trucks I see driving 80-90, or faster, they must have some awful deep pockets just to pay for the fuel.

Lyle

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

I'm getting trashed in a RV Facebook page for daring suggesting that 1/2 Ton trucks generally can't tow !/2T ready 5th wheels. And then I suggested that many F250's don't have that much more capacity. Never thought I'd be a member of weight police, but here I am!

My KZ Durango 1500 grosses 10.5k and I'm pretty sure that it'd bust my CCC rating if it were fully loaded. I know that my old Komfort, with an 11,360 GVW, put me over my CCC by over 1k lbs the one time I measured it, and I was nowhere near my GVW. This is on the '02 Duramax in my sig.

I'm in agreement that RV dealers need to be held liable if they sell a rig to someone they =know= will be towing with a truck that's simply not meant for hauling something that size. Doubly liable if they actually set up the truck for the customer. There =are= the occasional dealers that will refuse to sell a trailer to someone if their truck's too small. With FWs, =tow= ratings mean almost nothing; it's =payload= that's the controlling factor.

Lyle

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that TA has given up RVing, apparently his only function here is to stir the chit pot!

Got a good batch brewing now! Nice work TA!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

I'm in agreement that RV dealers need to be held liable if they sell a rig to someone they =know= will be towing with a truck that's simply not meant for hauling something that size. Doubly liable if they actually set up the truck for the customer. There =are= the occasional dealers that will refuse to sell a trailer to someone if their truck's too small. With FWs, =tow= ratings mean almost nothing; it's =payload= that's the controlling factor.
Lyle

While I agree there's dealers that will sell anyone anything to make a buck, isn't it the consumer who should be held accountable? Or maybe it should be the truck manufacturer, because after all, they show a Toyota Tundra pulling a Space Shuttle.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er accidents
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.