RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5er accidents

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > 5er accidents

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/09/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

laknox wrote:



I'm in agreement that RV dealers need to be held liable if they sell a rig to someone they =know= will be towing with a truck that's simply not meant for hauling something that size. Doubly liable if they actually set up the truck for the customer. There =are= the occasional dealers that will refuse to sell a trailer to someone if their truck's too small. With FWs, =tow= ratings mean almost nothing; it's =payload= that's the controlling factor.
Lyle

While I agree there's dealers that will sell anyone anything to make a buck, isn't it the consumer who should be held accountable? Or maybe it should be the truck manufacturer, because after all, they show a Toyota Tundra pulling a Space Shuttle.

Mike



I'm not real found of private companies regulating behavior, even if most people prefer that to government regulation. But I don't think ads showing a vehicle moving silly large loads is near the issue as the ad that say in great big letters CAN TOW WOOFTY,000 LBS! then in fine print, when properly equipped

I bought a wrecked F350, needed a front clip. Found one that fit fine, even the same paint code. In the gospel according to some, if I wanted to buy a heavy travel trailer, I could not because the badges on the fender are overloaded?

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

Senior Member

Joined: 12/31/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/09/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What’s the difference between a video of a truck moving silly large load or a chyron of a truck moving a silly large load?

I’m old enough to remember an advertisement for a front wheel drive car that was towing a boat on a trailer with the back wheels of the car removed. Any reasonably bright persons learns by about the age of 3 that commercials exaggerate and are to be taken with a large grain of salt.

philh

Belleville MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/11/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/09/21 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Towing a FW, the RAWR/tire rating is what makes a huge difference between a 150/250. The 250 can carry 2K-2.5K more pin wt, on it's rear axle.

Many 1/2 tons are not capable of carrying a fully loaded 1/2 ton towable FW, which often have a 10K GVWR. However, some can, and the RV marketing folks point at those trucks as an example.

Jerry

I was shocked at the difference LT E tires made on my F150. F250D can have payload under 2,500 lbs. Numbers are all over the map! But, as you point out, numbers are what matters. I've seen F150 short bed with a 5th wheel attached to it. It was frightening to watch the front end of the truck wandering back and forth.

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/14/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/09/21 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If an electric F150 can pull railcars loaded with F-150 gassers.......[emoticon]

Terryallan

Foothills NC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/10/21 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Curious where all these accidents for FW's are in NC. And how is it more than the rest of the US per state? Do you have some data? And you seem to be making some bold assumption of drivers towing FW's as to the causes of the accidents. There could be a million reasons for accidents completely outside the responsibility of the drivers. I just find the post completely presumptuous.


Sorry, they were not all in NC. Some were in SC. Surprised you didn't read about them in Wilmington. You aren't that far from 544.

* This post was edited 09/10/21 04:17pm by Terryallan *


Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers


Terryallan

Foothills NC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/10/21 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

What’s the difference between a video of a truck moving silly large load or a chyron of a truck moving a silly large load?

I’m old enough to remember an advertisement for a front wheel drive car that was towing a boat on a trailer with the back wheels of the car removed. Any reasonably bright persons learns by about the age of 3 that commercials exaggerate and are to be taken with a large grain of salt.


I remember that commercial, and use it as an example of what a WDH can do when I set up some one's trailer.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/10/21 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

rlw999 wrote:

I'm always amazed at how fast people tow. Like in an area with 70mph speed limit for cars, and 60mph for trucks+trailers, I regularly see people towing RV's (both 5th wheel and bumper tow) at 75mph+, keeping up with the car traffic.

I don't tow, but when I drive my Class C, I generally stick with the truck speed limit... not only is it safer, but the gas mileage is better too. Just because you *can* drive at 75mph, doesn't mean you *should*, or that you can do so safely.


Unless there is weather or other conditions coming into play...on a clear dry day, keeping up with traffic is generally safer on freeways.

Truck speed limits are put forth by politicians not traffic engineers.

Now if it's a lightly traveled rural freeway, doing 60-65 isn't a big problem but as traffic builds keeping up so you don't create a rolling road block is safest.

But I'm with the other post asking what data is there that a lot of 5th wheel crashes are happening? I've seen far more bumper pulls in crashes over the years.


Only data I have is the news. And it tells me all the RV accidents in the past month in this area have been 5ers. My only reason for posting is to remind people that even though a 5er does tow pretty good. You are still towing.

As for those advocating that you "keep up with traffic flow" remember as well. that unless you have replaced your ST tires. They are rated for 65 mph. Not realy safe to run them at 80.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/10/21 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

wing_zealot wrote:

What’s the difference between a video of a truck moving silly large load or a chyron of a truck moving a silly large load?

I’m old enough to remember an advertisement for a front wheel drive car that was towing a boat on a trailer with the back wheels of the car removed. Any reasonably bright persons learns by about the age of 3 that commercials exaggerate and are to be taken with a large grain of salt.


I remember that commercial, and use it as an example of what a WDH can do when I set up some one's trailer.


As a practical joke my Dad cranked up the spring bars on uncles Vista Cruiser to the point he could not move, 1 rear wheel would just spin on gravel. BTW, Olds built a Toranodo without front bumper, and most of the front overhang, used it to move snow at the plant.

"What’s the difference between a video of a truck moving silly large load or a chyron of a truck moving a silly large load"

I don't know what "chyron" is. But when they tell us a 150 can tow whatever many do not understand not all 150s can tow the same thing. This leads to issues

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/13/21 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

laknox wrote:



I'm in agreement that RV dealers need to be held liable if they sell a rig to someone they =know= will be towing with a truck that's simply not meant for hauling something that size. Doubly liable if they actually set up the truck for the customer. There =are= the occasional dealers that will refuse to sell a trailer to someone if their truck's too small. With FWs, =tow= ratings mean almost nothing; it's =payload= that's the controlling factor.
Lyle

While I agree there's dealers that will sell anyone anything to make a buck, isn't it the consumer who should be held accountable? Or maybe it should be the truck manufacturer, because after all, they show a Toyota Tundra pulling a Space Shuttle.

Mike


Oh, absolutely, but you get a newbie, who doesn't have any RVing friends, and, even with research, can get talked into just about anything by a good salesman. At the same time, were I the owner of a dealership, I can tell you that my "company lawyer" would likely have kittens if it came to their attention that my salesmen were actively selling setups that simply weren't safe. The cost of being sued, even if I prevailed, would likely cost the profits on 2 or 3 dozen, or more, sales. Why take the risk? All I know is that I'd tell everyone involved to acquaint themselves with tow/payload numbers and they'd be out the door in an hour if I caught them selling something that simply wouldn't work. I'd rather lose a sale than have someone's injuries or death on my conscious. And then you have the mechanical side of things, where someone blows a transmission because a Tacoma simply isn't capable of towing a 10k lb trailer, or something similar. Just too d@mn many headaches to deal with that kind of stuff. 'Sides, I like to be able to look at myself in the mirror without flinching.

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 63 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/13/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

rlw999 wrote:

I'm always amazed at how fast people tow. Like in an area with 70mph speed limit for cars, and 60mph for trucks+trailers, I regularly see people towing RV's (both 5th wheel and bumper tow) at 75mph+, keeping up with the car traffic.

I don't tow, but when I drive my Class C, I generally stick with the truck speed limit... not only is it safer, but the gas mileage is better too. Just because you *can* drive at 75mph, doesn't mean you *should*, or that you can do so safely.


Unless there is weather or other conditions coming into play...on a clear dry day, keeping up with traffic is generally safer on freeways.

Truck speed limits are put forth by politicians not traffic engineers.

Now if it's a lightly traveled rural freeway, doing 60-65 isn't a big problem but as traffic builds keeping up so you don't create a rolling road block is safest.

But I'm with the other post asking what data is there that a lot of 5th wheel crashes are happening? I've seen far more bumper pulls in crashes over the years.


Only data I have is the news. And it tells me all the RV accidents in the past month in this area have been 5ers. My only reason for posting is to remind people that even though a 5er does tow pretty good. You are still towing.

As for those advocating that you "keep up with traffic flow" remember as well. that unless you have replaced your ST tires. They are rated for 65 mph. Not realy safe to run them at 80.


Just towed my rig down to the Phoenix area from where we had it at my sister-in-law's place N of Prescott for the summer. The "sweet spot" with my old D'max is about 62-63 mph; my mileage drops 1-2 mpg when I run 65, and about 3 at 70. I did not pass a single RV on the way down I-17 and most passed me at 70-80. Glad they've got some deep pockets, I sure don't. FWIW, going UP there, running 75 empty, I averaged only 14.5. I have a 4" Banks Monster Exhaust, K&N filter and was running Diesel Kleen cetane boost on that tank.

Lyle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > 5er accidents
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.