|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er accidents

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Family owns a towing company. Its good for business. Most of those dealers will tell you you can tow a 35ft bumper pull with a Smart car just to sell it and yes there are those that believe anything they are told.

"Most" could be the case - but -

I bought a new truck camper 3 year ago from a dealer in Canada. I had to sign a waiver that I knew and understood the loaded weight of the camper and that I understood the truck I loaded it on was capable of carrying the camper in the course of writing the offer to purchase.

I have a 5th wheel type trailer for sale used. I have turned away 3 buyers from coming to look at it because they don't want to change trucks too and their trucks do not have enough capacity to haul the trailer safely.

And I am not a "200lbs over GVW you will crash AND burn" person. Far from it.

Back to regular programming

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Walaby wrote:

laknox wrote:

I'm in agreement that RV dealers need to be held liable if they sell a rig to someone they =know= will be towing with a truck that's simply not meant for hauling something that size. Doubly liable if they actually set up the truck for the customer. There =are= the occasional dealers that will refuse to sell a trailer to someone if their truck's too small. With FWs, =tow= ratings mean almost nothing; it's =payload= that's the controlling factor.
Lyle

While I agree there's dealers that will sell anyone anything to make a buck, isn't it the consumer who should be held accountable? Or maybe it should be the truck manufacturer, because after all, they show a Toyota Tundra pulling a Space Shuttle.

Mike

Oh, absolutely, but you get a newbie, who doesn't have any RVing friends, and, even with research, can get talked into just about anything by a good salesman. At the same time, were I the owner of a dealership, I can tell you that my "company lawyer" would likely have kittens if it came to their attention that my salesmen were actively selling setups that simply weren't safe. The cost of being sued, even if I prevailed, would likely cost the profits on 2 or 3 dozen, or more, sales. Why take the risk? All I know is that I'd tell everyone involved to acquaint themselves with tow/payload numbers and they'd be out the door in an hour if I caught them selling something that simply wouldn't work. I'd rather lose a sale than have someone's injuries or death on my conscious. And then you have the mechanical side of things, where someone blows a transmission because a Tacoma simply isn't capable of towing a 10k lb trailer, or something similar. Just too d@mn many headaches to deal with that kind of stuff. 'Sides, I like to be able to look at myself in the mirror without flinching.

Lyle

Lyle, I was in a high dollar technical sales for close to 30 years and there were projects that I walked away from due to the poorly written specs for the system they wanted. I liked living where I did and did not want to be tossed out of town. I would not be able to sleep at night if I had tried to put in some of the equipment.

When we sold one 5th wheel, I would not sell it to one buyer as he did not have enough truck for the trailer. He was mad and said he was told his 1/2 ton truck could pull my 15,000# 5er by his friend. I did sell it to a fellow that showed up with a big enough truck.

Some of the dealers and sales people have no morals and all they want is the all might DOLLARS.

Ken

* This post was edited 09/14/21 07:51am by TXiceman *

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Splashers3

Oakville, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're correct Ken - MOST dealers & salesmen live for the dollar and that next sale, disregarding safety standards.

2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Family owns a towing company. Its good for business. Most of those dealers will tell you you can tow a 35ft bumper pull with a Smart car just to sell it and yes there are those that believe anything they are told.

"Most" could be the case - but -

I bought a new truck camper 3 year ago from a dealer in Canada. I had to sign a waiver that I knew and understood the loaded weight of the camper and that I understood the truck I loaded it on was capable of carrying the camper in the course of writing the offer to purchase.

I have a 5th wheel type trailer for sale used. I have turned away 3 buyers from coming to look at it because they don't want to change trucks too and their trucks do not have enough capacity to haul the trailer safely.

And I am not a "200lbs over GVW you will crash AND burn" person. Far from it.

Back to regular programming

Sounds like both your dealer and you are pretty smart people; i.e. who want to avoid liability. :-)

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 63 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/21 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

Lyle, I was in a high dollar technical sales for close to 30 years and there were projects that I walked away from due to the poorly written specs for the system they wanted. I liked living where I did and did not want to be tossed out of town. I would not be able to sleep at night if I had tried to put in some of the equipment.

When we sold one 5th wheel, I would not sell it to one buyer as he did not have enough truck for the trailer. He was mad and said he was told his 1/2 ton truck could pull my 15,000# 5er by his friend. I did sell it to a fellow that showed up with a big enough truck.

Some of the dealers and sales people have no morals and all they want is the all might DOLLARS.

Ken

You, like noteven, are pretty smart! :-)

Lyle

* This post was edited 09/14/21 12:46pm by an administrator/moderator *

Pete_k

Stantonville Tn

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard for these people today. They run out and buy a big RV. Never been in anything other then there normal car. But expect that truck and camper to be just like that car. Speeding everywhere, cutting off people. Plus just dumb as a box of rocks. When Common Sense should be applied.

Had a half ton truck with 35ft 5th wheel. Pass me going down a 6% grade last week. Left lane running 65+ in a 45 MPH speed limit. 3 miles down the road, he was on the shoulder with brakes smoking. Kid may have been 20 years old. Big lift on the 4x4. Guess he found out, it will pull it. But the Woe part not so good.

2022 Ram Big Horn DRW on order">
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans
2012 Landmark Key Largo soon to turn into a Truck camper.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pete_k wrote:

But the Woe part not so good.

He has woe because it will not WHOA.

Ken

nhshep

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lesson learned. Keep away from NC & SC to minimize accident risk.
Keep away from Florida if you don't like thunderstorms.

On a serious note. Compact cars are a pain. You see them merge on highways with no regard of trucks or tow vehicles which cannot break or accelerate like they can. They pass you, pull directly in front then break. They cut lanes to take the next exit. They are in the jet fighter we are the ones in the C130.

It is noticed some people in all vahicles seem to drive erratic. Not saying politics or the stress of the virus has anything to do with it but you have to notice todays drivers are not as polite as 20 years ago. A car driver today goes to dunkin donuts for a coffee and they drive like they are in a formula one race. Tempers flair, road rage is at an all time high. Be careful.

2018 Prime Time Crusader 29RS

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In west Canada if you drive a F 350 you are required to goose it wherever you go.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, but to do it right it must have a complete delete, so it pours out the Black as Coal Smoke when goosed.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er accidents
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.