|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> ProPride and lifted 3500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shoot, Mr Benk, I know ya have a 1 ton Burb (very nice example of one at that), but to glom onto BackofthePack's diatribe, which I've read multiple times, pretty sure it's at the ready to cut n paste anytime, with minor modifications, and then talk about upgrading this n that on the OP's truck sure makes it sound like you don't understand the OP has a brand new, arguably the most capable srw truck on the road. With a 20klb bumper pull rating and a payload big enough to handle 3 of his tongue weights at the same time (not on the hitch of course, would over laod that rating...), why the fuss over track width due to a small lift and bigger sway bars, etc.
You said it yourself, dragging 14k behind a 70's technology half ton, what would give any pause or even remote need to upgrade ANYTHING on the OP's truck to pull half it's factory tow rating +/-?

While I'm sure it is meant to be helpful, I have to wonder how many "newbies" leave this forum to run down to the truck shop and do all kinds of needless "upgrades" to make the most capable, safest vehicles on the road, to date, even more "safe"?

I'm only trying to add an element of common sense and practicality to the plethora of "recommendations" that get posted here regularly, that are somewhere out in left field.

My opinion, your opinion, they differ.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ApexAZ wrote:

EDIT: Attached a pic of the truck (with kiddie tires) and trailer. I'll get one of both in a week or so.

I'll see your "kidde" tires and raise you a set of "infantile" tires! LOL
On this scale, what would 40" Swampers be? "Pre-natal" tires?
[image]

And some "barely an itch in your daddy's shorts" tires!

[image]

Also, your toilet leak, is it the supply line/valve dripping? Where it goes into the toilet. I had a drip there this year, appeared to be the valve leaking, replaced it and then found the connection was just loose. (Looked like it was coming from the push button end of the valve though)

ApexAZ

Gilbert, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang, I'm not much of a RAM guy (mainly because it feels like less headroom), but that is a nice truck. I like the vintage chevy too.

Grit dog wrote:

On this scale, what would 40" Swampers be? "Pre-natal" tires?

lol

Grit dog wrote:

Also, your toilet leak, is it the supply line/valve dripping? Where it goes into the toilet. I had a drip there this year, appeared to be the valve leaking, replaced it and then found the connection was just loose. (Looked like it was coming from the push button end of the valve though)

Yes. There are two hoses. The leak is dripping from one of them. I honestly didn't spend a lot of time looking at it, but the hose is clamped to a plastic fitting and it appears to be leaking at that connection. It didn't feel loose really, but maybe the clamp needs to be tightened down and/or more sealant applied.

Other than taking it out to practice in reverse next weekend, we don't plan to use it until December anyway, so I just left it for the dealership to deal with. I'll just ask them to prioritize that and the furnace fan issue in case they can't get to everything on the list before we need to take it back for our trip in December. The furnace noise is concerning, because it sounds like something is rubbing on the fan blade and I'm worried it is a wire. I took the panel off to try and get a look at it, but can't really see without taking the entire furnace out.

By the way, are furnaces typically propane only, or can they be run off electric when connected to shore power? The fridge does this, but unsure if the furnace will too. Also, the furnace just seems to be sitting loose in it's cubby. Are they supposed to be bolted down? I was kinda surprised to find that it's just sitting on the floor not fastened to anything.

* This post was edited 10/28/21 03:32pm by ApexAZ *

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For infalting tires I can officially say compressors are obsolete.
Even thogh I still have a craftman compressor in the basement of my 5'er.
I just purchased a Dewalt dedicated tire inflator and it work like a champ.
Just attach it to the stem. It reads the current pressure of the tires.
Set it to desired pressure and let do its thing.
It will take longer than a traditional compressor. But it get the job done.
It will air my 235/80/r16 G rated Sailun tire to 110 PSI without issue.
Now if your filling a tire from a dead flat, the inflator may struggle.
But if your just topping off a tire of filling a low tire its the way to go. Much easier than carrying a compressor.
I was skeptical of this little toy gadget . But after using a few times I am a believer. Carrying a compressor is not necessary.

[image]

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dewalt Tire Inflator

* This post was edited 10/29/21 07:52am by an administrator/moderator *

ApexAZ

Gilbert, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. It is less than 3 lbs and seems to be fairly compact. Is this the same model?

https://www.dewalt.com/products/storage-and-gear/air-compressors/20v-max-cordedcordless-air-inflator/dcc020ib

The Viair seems to be popular too, but 300 bucks seems like a lot for topping off tires. Although once you add the battery the dewalt isn't that much farther off, except that it can be used with other tools at least.

EDIT: I must have posted before your link popped up. I'll pick one of these up. Thanks again!

* This post was last edited 10/29/21 07:53am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ApexAZ wrote:

Yes. There are two hoses. The leak is dripping from one of them. I honestly didn't spend a lot of time looking at it, but the hose is clamped to a plastic fitting and it appears to be leaking at that connection. It didn't feel loose really, but maybe the clamp needs to be tightened down and/or more sealant applied.

By the way, are furnaces typically propane only, or can they be run off electric when connected to shore power? The fridge does this, but unsure if the furnace will too. Also, the furnace just seems to be sitting loose in it's cubby. Are they supposed to be bolted down? I was kinda surprised to find that it's just sitting on the floor not fastened to anything.

Yes mine was the clamp on the supply line to the fitting. Crimped clamp, cut it off and put another hose clamp on it.

Furnace is propane only (and 12V to run the fan).
It should be secured. Mine is, but the power center (breaker panel/converter) was just flopping around, as was the stereo.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ApexAZ wrote:

Dang, I'm not much of a RAM guy (mainly because it feels like less headroom), but that is a nice truck. I like the vintage chevy too.

Thanks! I'm a big GM/Duramax fan as well. The mud bogger truck isn't ours, just a pic form a gas station in bfe Montana.
This is our old GMC.
[image]

Currently in 1000 pieces and almost ready to paint.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes thats the model. Beware it does not come with a battery.
I have lots of other Dewalt tools so I already have batteries.
Dewalt also makes a 12 volt jump box / inflator combo for 160.00 and 199.00.
That maybe worthwhile if you don't already own dewalt batteries.
I am really impressed with is how well it works.
A compessor can do a lot of things other than inflate tires.
However if all you are trying to do is inflate your tires. I highly recommend the Dewalt inflator.

ApexAZ

Gilbert, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picture of truck with trailer:

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> ProPride and lifted 3500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.