|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 400 mile electric RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 25  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/21 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

GD

Wifey drives MBZ S430, lots of metal surrounds my bride. She wants an all wheel/4 WD now, but let's stick to your Mini Cooper example (even though that car is really for kids).

And your link to the "calculator" does not work. I would love to see how they calculated a 12,500 mile carbon parity for a mixed grid (which Oregon is--in descending order: hydro, coal, natural gas, wind and nuke).

https://www.oregon.gov/energy/energy-oregon/Pages/Electricity-Mix-in-Oregon.aspx

I fixed the URL. I picked Germany since it's a mixed grid too, including coal, but Oregon shut down its last coal plant in 2020. Feel free to correct it for what you think is the correct energy mix for CO2, as well as for whatever car you think is acceptable, since you didn't really mean it when you said "pick the car", so you pick it. Her S430 is rated at 19mpg combined mileage which is around 12 l/100km for the calculator.

Timmo!

South-central Oregon...on the river

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/21 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLW,

Not too sure if that calculator is even accurate.

Using the data from Volvo's XC40 battery (71-78kWh) I entered 75 for the EV Battery size (left ICE data alone), the CO2 parity result is 60,000 km.

Whereas Volvo did an extensive comparative analysis and reports 84,000 km for a EU mix grid, and 146,000 km for a global grid.

[image]

3500 miles = 5633 km

Optimistically carbon parity would occur around 10.65 years (60,000 km) or using Volvo's numbers it would take between 14.9 (86,000 km) and 25.9 years (146,000 km).

Am I the only person that sees a problem of waiting 10-26 years before the promises of driving a "green" car, actually materializes?

Said differently, why would I want to pollute Mother Earth for 10-26 years, when there are other greener alternatives? And if this climate change issue is so urgent, then why is the strategy to front load carbon emissions now, and then trust the out years will actually be cleaner. Promises uttered by elites are not always fulfilled.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/21 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

Wifey drives MBZ S430, lots of metal surrounds my bride. She wants an all wheel/4 WD now,
Tesla has 4wd, excellent traction control, and better crash safety ratings.
For a few thousand miles per year.... range and charging should not be an issue.
Could be lower cost than an S430 too.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! said: “Am I the only person that sees a problem of waiting 10-26 years before the promises of driving a "green" car, actually materializes?

Said differently, why would I want to pollute Mother Earth for 10-26 years, when there are other greener alternatives? And if this climate change issue is so urgent, then why is the strategy to front load carbon emissions now, and then trust the out years will actually be cleaner. Promises uttered by elites are not always fulfilled.”

Except jt or not, understand that with ‘said to be green’ matters (and other ‘prominent’ matters of discontent…..), we are now living within a ‘post truth’ era…There’s no obligation to advance inform one for this to be true…And, therein lies the primary source of our BEV vs ICE policy incoherence…

3 tons

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

The USA went from a top petroleum exporting country to importing crude in one year. Refinery output and demand remain stable. But prices are absurd which makes fracking attractive...

And study after study claims the continental USA has enough easily recovered natural gas to supply twenty-centuries worth, even counting growth. I simply do not understand the controversy of coal or fuel-oil fired power generation.

We have a 1.8 GIGAwatt oil fired combination generating and seawater distilling plant close by. But natural gas is not available.

The electric car industry needs consumer comprehensible fact comparisons like how many hours of operation will a vehicle battery supply in 30F weather at night in stop and go rush hour, as well as daylight open flat highway operation?

Upgrading the nation's electrical capacity is a trillion dollar venture. I've a feeling that the last thing the government wishes is to let the public know how these upgrades are going to be funded. It is common for a 4 bdrm all electric house to consume 4,000 kWh monthly. Then add 2 cars. Compliance will be achieved by making traditional energy sources absurdly expensive.

Tesla in Canadian winter - 34° C
Enjoy
https://youtu.be/lL9zveDz8H0

Btw we get electric mostly from hydro solar and wind

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

[image]

Green As Shanghai Coal?

I was in Beijing for a few days in 2016. I can attest that the photograph above is NOT an exaggeration.

Times are a changing

Chinas war on polution

https://youtu.be/iSfNvMR-Yww

Coal plants are being shut down,solar wind and hydro is in see CGTN news.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

The problem is essential two fold:

a) As with the ‘current health malady’ that’s continually being sliced and diced on the Hill and in the news, we’ll likely never learn the truth about ‘green EV’s’ and their claimed net carbon reduction assumptions, or whether or not a ‘real carbon crisis’ even exist (e.g. now deemed, socially tabooed ‘wrong-think’)…

b) The uber politicalization of ‘the truth’ (the adulteration of empirical science via outcome based scientism), because ‘common folks’ (well intentioned, but distracted-unengaged taxpayers) lack the need to be apprised of any authentic science.

Kinda brings to mind that famous old axiom, “The truth will set you free”, but when it comes to EV’s and so-called ‘Green energy’ (et al), who are WE to demand objective science??

3 tons

Fwiw I used to work up north Alberta where it used to get minus 30 or colder every winter in the past.

Last time I was there it got above freezing around xmas time.
Not complaing tho,dont care for deep freeze at all.

All of Arctic is getting much warmer from what people living there say.

Also Problem is with all those extreme temperatures comes more severe weather and floods as we have seen lately all over.
Heres an idea
,build sponge cities

https://youtu.be/jursRm7mnQk

Anyhow Im geting EV mainly bc its cheaper to drive and dont need as much maintanance as ICE.

Btw Tesla bateries will last milion miles maybe more. By the time it needs replacement they will be cheaper and longer lasting too.

And batts can be recycled,reused.win win

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

[image]

Green As Shanghai Coal?

I was in Beijing for a few days in 2016. I can attest that the photograph above is NOT an exaggeration.

Times are a changing

Chinas war on polution

Well since much of China might still be considered third world, the transition to an intermittent wind-solar power supply should make for an easier societal adaptation than what’s sure to be the American version - Most cloistered American’s really have no mental reference point as to authentic third world hardships or what ‘going green’ will make manifest, or how it’ll likely transform their kids future - but on the other hand it’s always ‘good intentions’ and popular consensus (a Pavlovian response) that drive these lofty policy matters (whether conflicts, climate, the grid, ad nauseam…) so why bother with independent evaluations when we have virtuous Representatives ($$) capable of steamrolling whatever policy on demand??

3 tons

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

free radical wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

[image]

Green As Shanghai Coal?

Times are a changing

Chinas war on polution

Well since much of China might still be considered third world, the transition to an intermittent wind-solar power supply should make for an easier societal adaptation than what’s sure to be the American version - Most cloistered American’s really have no mental reference point as to authentic third world hardships or what ‘going green’ will make manifest, or how it’ll likely transform their kids future - but on the other hand it’s always ‘good intentions’ and popular consensus (a Pavlovian response) that drive these lofty policy matters (whether conflicts, climate, the grid, ad nauseam…) so why bother with independent evaluations when we have virtuous Representatives ($$) capable of steamrolling whatever policy on demand??

3 tons

I always wondered how come comunist China is so sucesful when India next door with same population and primitive third world conditions,
(see Bald and Bankrupt chanel for example)
and democratic system is total poophole in comparison.

It all depends on the leadership,chinese are elected on meritocracy,serving the comunity,I guess thats why its called comunism.

Short version How china leaders are chosen

https://youtu.be/TgpQxVCekgw

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

China announced they are building three thousand new coal generating plants and will begin to reduce the total number starting in 2030.

The newspaper in Wu VICTORY RED FLAG is openly sold in Mexico and is an official Chinese CCP organ. I know the person who read it to me verbatim. Do you know China is facing a critical power shortage in Manchuria? It is so serious the Chinese government is trying to divert attention from it and turn the focus on Taiwan. Hundreds of thousands of workers are idled and some large cities are experiencing blackouts. The native lignite coal is of such low BTU that boilers are operating at 30% capacity. There are no large rivers to feed a nuclear plant.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 25  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 400 mile electric RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.