|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2003 Bigfoot 10.5E Project

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read a recent article about the Bigfoot company by Truck Camper Magazine from about a year ago. Grant the current lead guy detailed all of the changes they had made to their build processes post being resurrected from bankruptcy. It really seemed like they put a lot of thought into some of these things that was lacking before. Kind of made me jealous as they described all of the changes they have made for the better. It is hard to justify selling what I have to "upgrade" for something basically the same but better but if money wasn't a problem I probably would consider it.

One thing that stuck out to me if I recall correctly was the use of CNC cutting for their wood. The precision they have in their construction is making everything "fit" as it should and saving them a lot of time and money.

In many ways, I am super happy to have a Bigfoot camper but the "water tight" nature of the fiberglass is only as good as it was built, how it was maintained and most important of all, if it was stored inside.

In many ways, I think the collective knowledge of everyone on this board with our experiences could design and build a superior camper to any currently existing brand. Might spend decades arguing over the details of course and nobody could afford it either after we billed for our time arguing but hey, that sounds just about normal for a government operation anyway...

In short.... Great work resurrecting a Bigfoot!

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

AH_AK

AK

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It does seem like they addressed a lot of the pain points after the reorganization. Grant was super knowledgable and responsive about my camper, which surprised me because how often do you find a company willing to support products that were made under previous ownership? I would buy a new one if I could afford it…I actually think their price point on new units is reasonable given the quality of the build. I think price point has a lot to do with the design decisions. I can almost guarantee Grant could design and build a super high end TC (think Oliver TT level) but it’d sell for $20k more. I think a post 2003 model that is maintained and stored inside is going to last a LONG time. The folks on this message board could definitely design a cadillac TC, but it wouldn’t translate to mass production and it’d cost $100k. Modding out a Bigfoot (like many on here have done) is the most cost-effective option (IMO).

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow that project took some tenacious fix it attitude. Well done!

Our BF is a 2000, got it new. It is the 9.6 2500 so less compartments to lead..hahahaa It has traveled almost 200,000 miles on two f250's.

I have over the years had some water intrusion and have fixed each one.
Rear kitchen window, running lights, skylight...
There can be a leaky running light and the water will follow the foam seam all the way to the next
seam and and... So a wet place can be a leak anywhere. Had one from a front running light that left the cabinet on the passenger side bed wet along with the clothes compartment on the same side. I caught it early and no damage occurred.. I really learned about the traveling of the water.

I do have a camper cave thankfully.

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one of the front clearance lights leak, fortunately a lot so I caught it right away. The hole for the wiring was large and offset high, so only a tiny sliver of butyl sealing it. I've had one of the vents, the shower skylight, and fridge vent leak too, resealed them.

I've also looked at replacing the Bigfoot with a custom that I would build myself, I'm thinking the budget for that is somewhere around $80-100K plus a year's work or so, probably not happening. Even then, you are stuck with RV appliances, windows, hatches, etc. which are built to a very competitive price and show it. Perfection is hard to achieve.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2003 Bigfoot 10.5E Project
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.