RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Class As in cold weather?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Class As in cold weather?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jts140

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/21 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All,

Coming from a Fifth wheel and looking into a Class A. How are they in the freezing temps? My son has moved to CO from FL. and I am trying to convince wife we would be better in a class A vs our fifth wheel. I would be looking for an older Class A diesel. Thanks

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tell him when Co gets to cold you have room for him and his in the class A parked in your side yard.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/21 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have run both our furness and dash heat. Our dash heater is fed from the engine 40' away.. we do run the block heater in the engine to keep the engine warm for start up

So it may be slow to heat up on cold mornings.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/21 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class A diesel units are going to have some version of Aquahot diesel fired baseboard heat. This also heats the wet bays and keeps everything nice and toasty. If the unit you look at does not have this then pass. All the plumbing in inside the coach so even if it got really, really cold you could add a small electric heater or a light bulb or 2 to the wet bays and you will be fine. We have traveled in most every weather you can imagine and we have been fine. I must say that when the company sent us to ND in January (20 below zero) we passed and drove our car and stayed in a hotel!

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/21 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been in cold temps in the teens with our Bay Star and stay quite warm and toasty. I get enough heat from the gas furnace in the water bays to keep them from freezing, but I have remote temperature sensors in the bays and have two small personal electric heaters that can be turned on if necessary. The Bay Star is well insulated. When the temperature is closer to freezing or above, I use an electric heater at times to help save propane as I'm usually at a campground with electric service.

We don't winter camp, so our experience with cold weather is usually when we head south in the winter and have to travel from Ohio to wherever it's much warmer!

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/21 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if its going to go below zero its going to be tough to keep the water system from freezing no matter what you get you will need a auxiliary lp tank and enclose the bottom at the least check utube for videos of what it takes to survive those kind of temps

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's not true with a diesel coach with Webasto/Aqua Hot heat. You can stay plenty warm and the wet bays will stay well above freezing for a long time. The heating system uses the fuel in you tank so you have plenty available for extended cold periods.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ Class A diesel units are going to have some version of Aquahot diesel fired baseboard heat”… only higher end units will have A Hot which is great for cold weather and once you’ve had it, you will not go back. About like having a DP, you’ll never go back to a 5er.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/21 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a cold weather data point, we've been comfortable in our gas Class A as low as -4 deg. F for a few days. We have two LP furnaces that do a great job of keeping the interior comfortable, and a small electric heater in the wet bay that kept everything from freezing except one small pipe to the accumulator tank. The only effect from that was the pump cycling more as if the tank wasn't there. Five minutes with a hair dryer fixed it. I will say we went through a lot of LP though, and were happy to move on to warmer weather.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jts140 wrote:

Hello All,

Coming from a Fifth wheel and looking into a Class A. How are they in the freezing temps? My son has moved to CO from FL. and I am trying to convince wife we would be better in a class A vs our fifth wheel. I would be looking for an older Class A diesel. Thanks

Depends on how long it's cold
I drove a Class A for 15 years in that time
-6: Froze solid had to replace the ice maker solenoid and one fitting less than 20 dollars total cost.

11 Degrees A cross line (Crossing from one side to the other) Froze. there are two lines (Hot and cold) only the cold froze. NO damage it thawed when the sun came up but over night I had to use hot water to flush the toilet (Fill picture in lav. then dump in toilet)

Many nights in the 20's no tribble.

I used Tanked water (Fill tank on rv, disconnect and drain water hoses) parks water is a problem below freezing. though I just tossed a heated hose.. Took a standard hose. a string of Rope Lights (NOT LED) and a couple rolls of fancy patterened Duct Tape. And a Freeze-stat outlet adapter.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Class As in cold weather?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.