|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Broke my hitch pin today

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/21 11:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/colle........ches/products/3-0-heavy-duty-6-drop-rise

Just a random search. Not exactly common or low cost.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure, but I would think anybody that could modify the hole in receiver could build up the outside of the shank. And for hamn sure, it would be cheaper to go back if you or next owner decided to tow a trailer that needs the bigger hitch. Just buy the shank.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could have a welding / fab shop make a shank to fit your wd hitch. Steel, holes, welding done by a pro.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whangler wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Since the 3" to 2" adapter places the load points 1/2" apart, that is asking for trouble. Also, 3" receivers require a 3/4" pin, but you probably used a 5/8" because that is what fits 2" shanks. Reese has sent much production to China and it would be a good idea to avoid those products.

I've never liked that 3"-2" adapter set up. Think I'll visit the welder when I get home for some mods to the receiver.

There is maybe some misinformation in your posts.
First, glad you had everything hooked up right and kept the trailer rubber side down! Probably need a new drivers seat cushion after that. I would!

1. Unless it’s an aftermarket hitch, your truck has a 2.5” hitch.
2. The pin got fatigued from being bent due to the adapter sleeve. Common issue with the use of adapter sleeves. Never broke one, but I’ve cutout several bent ones out of our job trucks. Those things are dangerous and they’ll destroy the pin holes in your receiver.
3. I looked on etrailer and believe your correct. No 3” wdh shanks. Likely because anything with a 3” hitch (exclusive to Ford OEM afaik) shouldn’t need a wdh. I’m not even sure there are aftermarket 3” hitches. I believe it’s just a Ford gimmick. Although I believe the bolt spacing on a lot of drop hitch shanks is “universal”, so you should be able to replace the shank with a 3”, if needed.
4. It’s possible it was a defective pin, but highly unlikely and your failure is an expected symptom of using an adapter sleeve which allows a bending moment to be put on the pin, rather than just shear, as designed.

If you really do have a 3” hitch, don’t go farking it up at the corner welding shop. The hitch and truck will hold your camper and if it’s tongue heavy enough to need weight dist for the springs, beef them up and haul the trailer without a wdh. It’s likely a placebo anyway.
If none of that works, get a 2.5” receiver if you just gotta have a wdh. They’re not that expensive. But please confirm you have a 3” hitch first.

Side note, most “RVers” will chit all over my last recommendation as they feel they need a wdh with sway control without exception, kinda like a baby and it’s blanky and binky.
But if you don’t believe me or the rest of the world that hardly ever uses them, watch every TT you see being hauled by a transporter. 99.5” chance he has no wdh on it. And he probably tows 50 of them a year!

* This post was edited 09/12/21 12:40pm by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although if you welded the adapter in solid around the face of it, it would work and keep from bending the pin. But you should be a better engineer and metallurgist than I to trust that you didn’t make the end of the receiver brittle or somehow weaker by welding on it.
(I believe it would work but I wouldn’t trust my truck, trailer and life unless I designed it, which I’m now incapable of doing. Too long since college!)

Also is your receiver pin holes wallered out now? That’s what usually happens along with bending the pin.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/colle........ches/products/3-0-heavy-duty-6-drop-rise

Just a random search. Not exactly common or low cost.

Good point. No one sells 3” wdh, I think, but the bolt spacing on drop hitches may be common to reg and wdh, in which case there are plenty of 3” adjustable drop shanks available.
Still doubt OP has a 3” hitch though unless the hitch was modified.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whangler wrote:

I've never liked that 3"-2" adapter set up. Think I'll visit the welder when I get home for some mods to the receiver.

Replace the hitch shank with a 3" version.
"Modifying" a trailer hitch by welding on it is never a good idea.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/21 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is why I reamed to the next larger hole and use a grade 8 bolt and self locking nut..

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Whangler wrote:

Hi deltabravo - why do you question welding a hitch shank using proper workmanship?

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Whangler wrote:

The problem is that there may not be any 3" shanks that work with weight distribution made. If a source is found, please post it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Broke my hitch pin today
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.