|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Broke my hitch pin today

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A traditionally designed receiver has much going on that many welders do not understand.

The cross tube (square or round) is a torque tube that twists from the WD Bar/Trunnion WD hitch bar lever arm (moment).

That twisting is transferred to the side brackets that are bolted (some are welded to the frame rails, like the 4Runner etc.) That then lifts the TV’s rear axle and transfers that to the TV’s front axle

That cross tube is also twisted to a higher rate, unloaded and twisted the other way while driving (dynamic & cycling loading)

The why it is NOT recommended to drill/weld/etc on the cross tube. That creates stress raisers that WILL form micro cracks to propagate into cracking clean through the tube wall. Have also thought that some receivers might have the cross tube of higher grade metallurgy & possibly hardened

Hogging out the receiver pin box hole and shank hole has consequences too. Like reducing the cross section of the shank. Add that this OP’s setup is a 3” receiver box and a 2.5” reducer inside that receiver box…which am assuming allowing movement during the drive. THAT will create higher loads on the receiver pin box & shank.

Admit to having welded and/or drilled on the receiver end brackets, but after serious noodling of how the moments present themselves to that area. Tens of thousands of miles and no problems (don’t we all say that?)…

If me, I’d get a 3” shank. Or the OP can change out the 3” receiver to a 2.5” receiver. Either way he is in about the same money.

Have zero experience with 3” receivers/shanks and ask if the WD Hitch head the OP has now will fit either 2.5” or 3” shank ? Assuming it would, but not sure…

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The problem is that there may not be any 3" shanks that work with weight distribution made. If a source is found, please post it."

This is what I found, Equalizer did not make a 3" with enough drop for my set-up.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/21 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This one that time2roll posted is a 6” raise/drop

This one has a 14” raise or drop and should or hope to be enough drop/raise for the OP..but it is $509 bucks https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/prod........TSnz42-Jjmj-t3i8TY8h0oUREvRoC1VgQAvD_BwE

time2roll wrote:

https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/colle........ches/products/3-0-heavy-duty-6-drop-rise

Just a random search. Not exactly common or low cost.

[image]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/21 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

If me, I’d get a 3” shank. Or the OP can change out the 3” receiver to a 2.5” receiver. Either way he is in about the same money.…
May as well look at a 2" receiver to match the existing equipment.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 12:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

This is why I reamed to the next larger hole and use a grade 8 bolt and self locking nut..

Because the holes wallowed out from using an adapter sleeve?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 12:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone else picked up on the fact that the OP most likely doesn’t have a 3” hitch?

Nor has he been back to add to the discussion.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Putting a 2.5 inch in a 3 inch hole? I can see where a sleeve would add extra play. And that play is like a hammer on the pin. (Short stroke, but it is a big hammer)
If it was mine I would cut some 1/4 inch mild steel to match the size of the 4 sides. Drill a couple holes in a pair of them, where I'm sure the pin hole will not be. Line 1 up, and tack thru the holes. Then I would use the 2 holes, to drill thru that plate. Repeat for other side. Tack top and bottom on, check for fit. Then using short welds, to keep from heating it to much. Grind a little taper on sides and bottom just to make it easier to start in.
Now I have faith my welds will not break, or cause the stinger to bend/break. But unless enough breaks for the top/bottom pieces fall out, you are no worse than now.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I has another question for the OP - why is there a "3 inch" receiver on a pickup truck?

Or does it have 3x3x .250 tubing reciever which = 2-1/2" inside which would be the 2-1/2" receiver hitch like my Ford F350?

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

This one has a 14” raise or drop and should or hope to be enough drop/raise for the OP..but it is $509 bucks https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/prod........TSnz42-Jjmj-t3i8TY8h0oUREvRoC1VgQAvD_BwE

time2roll wrote:

https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/colle........ches/products/3-0-heavy-duty-6-drop-rise

[image]

But BenK - this hitch ^ is welded.... [emoticon]

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

BenK wrote:

time2roll wrote:

[image]

But BenK - this hitch ^ is welded.... [emoticon]

Lets see that shank with a weight distribution head on it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Broke my hitch pin today
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.