RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Broke my hitch pin today

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Broke my hitch pin today

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/14/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Retired JSO wrote:

Just weld the adapter to the stinger and be done with it.


It will still have a lot of slop and play in it.


How would there be more play than just the normal looseness of a ballmount in receiver?

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2011

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 09/14/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's the reason they make clamps like Quiet Hitch. Tightens things up and stops the slop.


2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

Senior Member

Joined: 04/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/20/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you even need a WDH with your rig? I use a Curt 2.5” ball mount on our 2020 F-250 to tow our 32.5’ Jayco 28RLS. Tongue weight is 1,081 lbs.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Curt/C45456.html


2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Whangler

Northern CA

Full Member

Joined: 06/11/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/24/21 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hannibal wrote:

Do you even need a WDH with your rig? I use a Curt 2.5” ball mount on our 2020 F-250 to tow our 32.5’ Jayco 28RLS. Tongue weight is 1,081 lbs.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Curt/C45456.html

That, is a good question.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/24/21 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

deltabravo wrote:

Retired JSO wrote:

Just weld the adapter to the stinger and be done with it.


It will still have a lot of slop and play in it.


How would there be more play than just the normal looseness of a ballmount in receiver?


You’re semi correct, theoretically it wouldn’t, but you must not have used these adapters. “IF” you welded it solid in the loaded condition it would probably work. But you still have to account for the slop Between the shank and adapter and may just break the welds or stress the adapter since it’s not a tight fit.
Bottom line, the adapters are fine/meant for infrequent and light use. They are a detriment in real towing situations.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/24/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

That's the reason they make clamps like Quiet Hitch. Tightens things up and stops the slop.


Yes but not as a bandaid (quiet hitch) on top of another bandaid (adapter sleeve(s)).
The Ferd guys have to use 2 adapters to get down to a 2” shank. That’s as sloppy as throwing a hot dog down a hallway!

PS cheap/easy hack for schloppy hitches….fender washers.
When I was using a hitch extension with the ole TC on the truck, the slop would literally allow the hitch ball to move up and down a couple inches when on the end of a 2’ extension plugged into a well used receiver.
Couple fender washers under the extension and couple under the hitch shank, whatever Thickness of steel shim you can jam in there, works great. Took the majority of the schlop out.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/24/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whangler wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

Do you even need a WDH with your rig? I use a Curt 2.5” ball mount on our 2020 F-250 to tow our 32.5’ Jayco 28RLS. Tongue weight is 1,081 lbs.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Curt/C45456.html

That, is a good question.


And I gave you the answer 5 pages back.
Your weights and truck, totally unnecessary to use a wdh.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Broke my hitch pin today
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.