RV.Net Open Roads Forum: “Pathetic quality”: RV dealers are fed up...

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > “Pathetic quality”: RV dealers are fed up...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
propchef

NORCAL

Full Member

Joined: 10/02/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/14/21 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

Take a quick look at RVs and you will quickly see that poor construction is only part of the issue. Materials and parts are often poor. Design and engineering are typically very bad.

I equate the RV industry to the American auto industry of the 50s and 60s. It took some serious foreign competition to shake up the industry. Even now American makers continue to struggle with quality; e.g., for Ford quality is still "job one". Considering the high prices and poor quality, the door is open for foreign competition.


Exactly where will this RV foreign competition come from? There is no RV manufacturering there except for a couple of Japanese boutique builders of tiny motorhomes. Yes, there are some European RV manufacturers but it's nearly impossible to make a profit to export them to North America. How many European RVs have you seen at any dealerships here?
Shipping costs from Europe or the Far East are too high for them to make a profit. And RVs take up much more room on ships, than cars do.
The only possibility would be foreign investors to buy an existing RV manufacturer and instill their version of quality construction. But I don't see that happening, like Hymer RV's debacle and scandal of purchasing Roadtrek.


You're forgetting Canada and Mexico.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2002

View Profile



Posted: 09/14/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting article

Airstream's CEO explains why the company has too many applicants even though it doesn't put out job ads amid a hiring spree
Business Insider

I wonder if employee job satisfaction goes hand in hand with product quality?


Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (semi-retired), Grant, Lee, Fern & Hattie
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog & Wendy the Kangal (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/14/21 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The only possibility would be foreign investors to buy an existing RV manufacturer and instill their version of quality construction.

If that happens its gonna' cost more bucks to buy their rv. Just look at costs now for the better grade/better quality RVs. Those units cost a bunch more than a low cost unit of the same size.

Years ('60s/'70s) before the net was ever dreamed of by the average folks, we talked about the same issues. Back then we had better built units available but just like today most people couldn't afford them.

JMO....today main issues from a safety point are a weak chassis frame material/not enough built in cross members and out riggers. Main frame rails to light duty. Axle/tires/wheel selection for the unit are to light duty.
But upgrade the chassis and running gear adds more to the units cost.


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

Senior Member

Joined: 09/24/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/14/21 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman, I really enjoyed reading your experience and view on manufacturing.

My Canadian built class B 'up-fit' has a phenomenal quality. I haven't had any issues whatsoever in 4 months of ownership. Not to say something won't come up (had a couple of Mercedes recalls).....but the Pleasure Way build is solid with a 5 yr. warranty to the first owner.

Safe travels,
Mark


Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 09/14/21 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:


Years ('60s/'70s) before the net was ever dreamed of by the average folks, we talked about the same issues. Back then we had better built units available but just like today most people couldn't afford them.

JMO....today main issues from a safety point are a weak chassis frame material/not enough built in cross members and out riggers. Main frame rails to light duty. Axle/tires/wheel selection for the unit are to light duty.
But upgrade the chassis and running gear adds more to the units cost.


60's/70's RVs were much smaller, sub 20ft with a lot at 17ft size weighing empty around 5K-6K lbs, towed by a sedan or station wagon also weighing 5K-6K lbs with the exception of a very rare MotorHome.

Fast forward to the supersize society of today we often have folks towing 35' trailers weighing 5K empty with a 4K lb SUV..

To get a RV of 35' and 5K lbs, SOMETHING structural must be removed.. That basically means things like removing extra frame material, lighter axles and tires and even wider spacing between studs must be done to accomplish what the buying public wants which is a bigger but yet cheaper light enough weight to be towed by a lawnmower RV.

Public demanded it, public complains about what they asked for..

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

Senior Member

Joined: 11/12/2002

View Profile


Online
Posted: 09/14/21 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quality and inexpensive do not fit in the same sentence - ever. We can sometimes choose one or the other, but not both.

That holds true for most manufacturing ... Computers, phones, RV's, Electronic gear, Trucks. We can cry about price or we can cry about product failure.

Personally, I'd rather cry about price, buy a product once, and have it last more than two days beyond warranty.


Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

willald

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/15/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/15/21 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

Quality and inexpensive do not fit in the same sentence - ever. We can sometimes choose one or the other, but not both.......
Personally, I'd rather cry about price, buy a product once, and have it last more than two days beyond warranty.


This is exactly right, and is the reason why last month when we finally decided to downsize to a somewhat smaller RV, we went with a Newmar coach (see signature, although haven't updated the picture yet).

I was tired of making repairs and finding cheap and shoddy construction on the last rig we owned. Decided this time, we'd pony up a few more $$ and get one known for better quality. So far, we've found it is just that.


Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis
See it here

ol Bombero-JC

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/24/2004

View Profile



Posted: 09/15/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

Quality and inexpensive do not fit in the same sentence - ever. We can sometimes choose one or the other, but not both.......
Personally, I'd rather cry about price, buy a product once, and have it last more than two days beyond warranty.


This is exactly right, and is the reason why last month when we finally decided to downsize to a somewhat smaller RV, we went with a Newmar coach (see signature, although haven't updated the picture yet).

I was tired of making repairs and finding cheap and shoddy construction on the last rig we owned. Decided this time, we'd pony up a few more $$ and get one known for better quality. So far, we've found it is just that.


Hmmmmmm...."Downsizing" - you went from (?......?) to a 30' Newmar with a sticker price of $156K.

Not picking on you, but some folks just might consider that serious "up-sizing" & "out of their league" from what *they* have now!

[emoticon]

willald

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/15/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/15/21 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

willald wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

Quality and inexpensive do not fit in the same sentence - ever. We can sometimes choose one or the other, but not both.......
Personally, I'd rather cry about price, buy a product once, and have it last more than two days beyond warranty.


This is exactly right, and is the reason why last month when we finally decided to downsize to a somewhat smaller RV, we went with a Newmar coach (see signature, although haven't updated the picture yet).

I was tired of making repairs and finding cheap and shoddy construction on the last rig we owned. Decided this time, we'd pony up a few more $$ and get one known for better quality. So far, we've found it is just that.


Hmmmmmm...."Downsizing" - you went from (?......?) to a 30' Newmar with a sticker price of $156K.

Not picking on you, but some folks just might consider that serious "up-sizing" & "out of their league" from what *they* have now!

[emoticon]


Downsizing, in the sense that we went from a 36’ bunkhouse coach to a 31’ unit that’s designed more for just 2, since kids outgrew the bunks and don’t camp with us anymore.

You right, though, was not a down size in terms of $$$ at all, haha.

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 09/15/21 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a lot of families get into RVing because they believe it will offer an affordable alternative to hotel/airfare vacations. They aren't going to spend $156K on a "better quality" camper because that doesn't match the perception of affordable.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > “Pathetic quality”: RV dealers are fed up...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.