|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Not much posting

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ro_sie

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am usually a lurker. But, I want to say that years back when I have posted I have been roasted. It made me quite leary to post again. I think good behavior and welcoming attitudes and posts would encourage people to return after they visit once. Just my thoughts, Ignore if you disagree please.

ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

HOWEVER, I've realized that you can't get any scientists who will serve as moderators. It's a problem alright.

There is so much anti-science sentiment why would we want to subject ourselves to it?

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the websites I frequent (ham radio/PB scanners type) has a zero policy for personnel bashing and brand bashing. Like one strike and your membership is history. Off topic replies are given a warning to stay on topic.
Snarky replies like others replies are dumb will usually result in canceled membership.

Much more enjoyable to learn from others experience(s) and especially those that have vast knowledge and experience with a devise in question. Threads stay on topic.
Everyone gets a voice without the usual bash from known forum know it all types we have on a couple of forums on this website.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been here for years but don't post as much as I used to. I got tired of the constant pointless arguments over things which are essentially just personal opinion and preference. On MANY subjects, there are multiple right answers, and the best one for given individuals isn't necessarily the same. I suspect there are others like me who are still around but just don't post that much anymore.

In terms of moderation, I also have observed a fair amount of bias, but perhaps the thread-deletion tactic (as opposed to editing) is meant to better account for that. (Example of biased moderation: Person A expresses moderate political opinion. Person B expresses less moderate opinion in the other direction. Moderator's opinion agrees more with B than A, so edit's A's post but not B's, even though B's is the more extreme.)

I also suspect a lot of people have gone to FB, but I personally can't stand FB and don't use it for anything. I suspect some have gone to YT, but I'm no fan of that either, preferring to read and write.

On the bright side, the overly zealous weight police aren't as active as they once were.

2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

What gripes me a lot is when someone decides to reply with baloney on a subject that is bases on science. I get the impression that some people give equal credence to hearsay as they do to science. It's happened to me. I've been warned about being argumentative.
HOWEVER, I've realized that you can't get any scientists who will serve as moderators. It's a problem alright.
Don't forget scientists can be just as wrong as anyone. Remember when eggs were bad? Getting your feet X-rayed for shoe fitting was no big deal? When radium watch numbers were okay? Smoking was actually good for you? Lengthy morphine treatments were an accepted practice? Electroshock therapy was totally A-okay?

When they stick to "hard" science it's fine, but when they get to speculating based on limited data, that's when the train leaves the tracks. That's how they knew the Earth was round a couple thousand years ago. Pure mathematics.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Re: Hearsay/Rumor/Lies/Science well they have done multiple studies which show that 48% of this country will support a con-artist over someone who is relatively honest (At least nobody can find evidence of a crime)

48%

Re posting..... Interest in nearly all activities is like many other tinngs (look up bio-rythyms) it goes up, and down, and up and down. Just now it's down for many.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8xym wrote:

multiple studies which show that 48% of this country will support a con-artist over someone

Source please?

ro_sie

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank You Moderator.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always look for a post that teaches. And try to adhere to the same. Information is now primarily proprietary. So the premise is a learned customer is a less valued one. Applies when service is for sale by the vendor. I like the thought of reconstituting a marginal quality product into a superior one if possible.
Thank goodness I aged-out of my rebuilding business before rebuilding became extinct by chew and spit "new" replacements. Garbage meant to last 3 years then end up in landfill.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using the infamous weight police as an example, I think many times that a post is seen as argumentative, objectionable, or difficult, it may simply be that many times the poster's prior experience / bias / PoV is (intentionally or not) not typed in:
"...Nothing wrong with towing a 12,000 # FW with a SRW 3500"

...instead of posting "I put some effort into staying within the numbers, but I'm not carried away with it and have had my trailer and towed it for several years, so in my view, there is....Nothing wrong with towing a 12,000 # FW with a SRW 3500"

Or saying "Overloaded vehicles will lead to legal liability" instead of

"I'm a practicing attorney and have done a few cases in my jurisdiction where the question of loads on vehicles are being debated and while these cases almost always settle (so they aren't reported), my clients have had to pay me to at least negotiate through the issue of overloading, so I always warn my clients that ....Overloaded vehicles will lead to legal liability ...that I'll have to address if you get in an accident."

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Not much posting
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.