RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Remembering my best physical condition

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Remembering my best physical condition

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to think of the days when I was in my best physical shape. That would probably be 1968, when I was discharged from the USMC. I kept my physical fitness all the way to just about 70 yrs old in 2014. I was heavily engaged in hiking, bike riding and other physically demanding activities. Even though a stroke put the kabash on those activities over 7 years ago, I still feel that if some of the crippling effects were removed, I’d be able to perform those same activities today at 77 yrs old. Hopefully, some of you folks have kept your physical prowess throughout the years. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was in my 20's I worked as a roofing applicator. I could carry 240 pounds on flat and 180 up a ladder. .Often did too.

Last week I lugged about 50 pounds up half a flight of stairs.. It was "heavy" (not my limit but over half) 100 pounds exceeds my limits these days.

of course about 45 years difference.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I attempted to move a fully assembled articulating bed frame... it was a massive failure and had to find two much younger and much better in shape friends to help!

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/21 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was 40, I would slip into a 40 lb backpack frame then climb a thousand feet in under two miles. If you want location, GARDISKY LAKE atop Tioga Pass. Starting elevation was near ten thousand feet.

The toughest sledding was in 1983. Climbing from Muriel Lake elevation 11,300 to Goethe Lake at 12,600 ft. Over rocks and ice toting a six man inflatable raft and too much fishing gear, oars, the whole nine yards. All in the name of golden trout.

Now I need a walker just to get to the kitchen. Spinal decomposition. The memories of 41 pack trips and multiple dozens of day fishing trips is beyond price. Especially sliding down a 45° slope to a pine tree and ambushing a four pound cutthroat trout in a stream no wider than my leg is long.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/21 03:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up a 110 lb strawberry blonde back in 1972. I've still got her. [emoticon]

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

I picked up a 110 lb strawberry blonde back in 1972. I've still got her. [emoticon]

I also picked up a similar "nice catch", about the same weight, brunette, right out of high school (7 yrs my junior). After 16 years, needed to throw her back. [emoticon]

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In '72 I was 30 years old and worked about 2 1/2 years for a brick layer. I had hauled hay every summer through high school years so hard work was just part of life. At 30 years old I could pick up 80 lbs bags of masonery cement over each arm.
I use 80 lb bags of redi mix concrete around the place setting corner posts/etc or other projects.
Now I can't even pick up one bag. I just use the front loader on the tractor and roll it into the bucket.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My "Catch" was a bit heavier, Darker and alas.. I outlasted her (Deceased)
Oh well.. I'm starting to think about replacements but... well.. Not rushing (did not rush with catch #1)

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/21 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When young I carried two 75 lb sacks of cement under each arm, 100 lb sacks of feed on a shoulder. Buddy and i in high school would take friends cars one on each end and turn them sideways or all the way around until the Buick that put blisters on my feet and caused and tore my shoes up. We lifted it but ruined our backs.
Since knee replacement and double pneumonia in 2014 I can't get around much along with my back, and not even use a weedeater. 40 lbs is now heavy. Use to at nine years of age along with Uncle lift huge 10 ft pieces of oak and hickory onto a saw buck. Until the 80s walked 10 miles to even 50 miles in the Cumberalands sleeping under the stars hunting and exploring in the Smokies kids and wife got winded walking up the steeper trails but my heart rate or breathing did not increase. I would love to have that that strength and capacity back.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

When young I carried two 75 lb sacks of cement under each arm, 100 lb sacks of feed on a shoulder. Buddy and i in high school would take friends cars one on each end and turn them sideways or all the way around until the Buick that put blisters on my feet and caused and tore my shoes up. We lifted it but ruined our backs.
Since knee replacement and double pneumonia in 2014 I can't get around much along with my back, and not even use a weedeater. 40 lbs is now heavy. Use to at nine years of age along with Uncle lift huge 10 ft pieces of oak and hickory onto a saw buck. Until the 80s walked 10 miles to even 50 miles in the Cumberalands sleeping under the stars hunting and exploring in the Smokies kids and wife got winded walking up the steeper trails but my heart rate or breathing did not increase. I would love to have that that strength and capacity back.

I wasn't as physically strong as you, carryng 100's of lbs sacks, but I was in good enough shape to engage in extensive and intensive hiking until 70 yrs old. Even now, at 77 yrs, I have absolutely no aches or pains and never get sick. Like you, I also reminisce about the good ol' days. I don't try to get too upset, though, realizing there comes a time when every human needs to slow down. We can only appreciate that we were able to engage in hard physical activities for as long as we did, and that there are many others that haven't been as fortunate. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Remembering my best physical condition
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.