RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Remembering my best physical condition

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Remembering my best physical condition

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/21 01:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The good ole days,lift and carry any thing. Now when I go get a case of beer,I buy 4 six packs. Two usually stay in the car until the next day when I get my energy back.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/21 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

The good ole days,lift and carry any thing. Now when I go get a case of beer,I buy 4 six packs. Two usually stay in the car until the next day when I get my energy back.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/21 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My best physical condition was when I was 29/30, sub 3 hour marathons, sub 1 hr. 10 milers.....though I was a bit light at 163 pounds@ 6 feet tall. I’ve always remained active, though I quit running at 30 ! At 69, I’m still in pretty good shape, though I do not exercise.....just work hard and put in lots of miles around our place, and a bit of walking during hunting season!

I’m a lot heavier now, around 205, and can’t run much.....”gimpy” knee and 2 back surgeries, but, still in better shape than most folks my age. Not on any medications, resting heart rate under 60.....so, I’m “hangin in there”! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The summer of 1975 (age 25) when I was on the Fire Service Coeur d’Alene Interregional Fire Crew out of Wallace, Idaho. They flew us to fires throughout the West. Our crew boss was a HS football coach and he trained us like we were prepping to play in the Rose Bowl: when we weren’t on fires we did trail maintenance, etc. in the mts in N. Idaho. At the end of each non-fire work day he would have us back at our base camp doing circuit training outside...I remember bench pressing a small telephone pole, me on one end with another guy on the other...running laps for time, etc.

When we got called out to big fires they would truck us as far as they could into burn, and then we’d march the rest of the way into the actual fire, sometimes for miles over hill and dale. We would “March” just short of a run the whole way with full packs. We would put in 12-14 hrs on the fire line, and then walk out the same way we had come all the way back to base camp, get 6-7 hrs of winks, and then go back and do it again...and again, sometimes for days on end.

Best shape I’ve ever been in. Way better than my years on the football team, even with August “daily doubles”.

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Rick Y

Vancouver not BC, Washington not DC

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I graduated HS my next door neighbor was the station master for the Southern Pacific RR. Knowing that I didn't really know what I wanted to do he hired me as a gandy dancer. That meant I went around with a team where there was a minor repair needed that didn't warrant bringing in the big equipment. Had to drive a LOT of spikes using a spike maul and toted ties back and forth. My arms especially filled out. Then I got drafted and the first time we had PT I assure you I was grateful for those arms!

Rick & Karen
2003 Bigfoot 27DSL Class C, Banks intake/exhaust, Blue Ox Ft/Rear sway bars & TruCenter steering, Soltek solar panel
2021 Ford Ranger named "Lil Toe"
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar with Invisibrake
Robore Prudentia Praestat

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My best years were between mid thirties and fifty.I may have been stronger and faster a few years younger,but with maturity I grew a brain that eliminated the need to be the strongest and fastest. I just became the smartest and most efficient.
Near twenty years peak of physical and mental prowess.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

My best years were between mid thirties and fifty.I may have been stronger and faster a few years younger,but with maturity I grew a brain that eliminated the need to be the strongest and fastest. I just became the smartest and most efficient.
Near twenty years peak of physical and mental prowess.

I agree. When in my early 20’s, in the Marines, I could run many miles while wearing combat boots; the “2nd wind” came easily. In later years, I quit running and took to long walking and hiking in various types of terrain, due to concern over wearing out my knees prematurely. That kept me in good shape for many years. Occasional bike riding didn’t hurt, either. Of course, with age comes wisdom and increased “smarts” (usually) [emoticon]

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Of course, with age comes wisdom and increased “smarts” (usually)"

Yeah, but sometimes age just comes alone. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"Of course, with age comes wisdom and increased “smarts” (usually)"

Yeah, but sometimes age just comes alone. [emoticon]

Not in my case. I not only have wisdom and smarts, but I’m also very humble. [emoticon]

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/21 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My eldest granddaughter takes after her grandpa at the same age. Then I used to life a 50 gallon empty propane bottle into my pickup.

She hoists a 5 gallon purified water bottle with each arm and walks across the beach. Thin but muscles like rope. She puts up with no guff from her three younger sisters.

I recently stumbled across a bicycle pedal floor exercise machine. Sit in a chair and pedal away. With variable resistance and a control panel. I want to gain strength in my legs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Remembering my best physical condition
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.