|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Class A Low Bridge Accident

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The trucker's road directory of low bridges and overpasses is most helpful and it does pay to read the signs if driving a tall vehicle.

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people have a problem visualizing size. Men are usually accused of thinking certain things are bigger than they really are, and women, well....lol.

69gp

New England

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be looking at age as being part of this accident. But its still the drivers fault and there is no excuse. I know the height of my RV and and I am always careful with bridge heights. With that being said when I am on side and country roads I am always looking up for that low hanging branch. The bridge that was hit is no different than slowing down and avoiding a hazard in the road. You just don't drive over a foreign object. Slow down, stop or swerve off to the side. Low hanging branch Slow down , stop or serve to the side.

Steve B
4100 lb 8.872@ 156 MPH naturally aspirated
Square peg in a round hole is the way to go

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Metric …. aaaahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa

mountainkowboy

Socal/NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whoever was driving that rig, shouldn't be driving that rig. You have to completely clueless to do that.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/21 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure our GPS had low bridge clearance in it. Co-pilot, on back roads and strange/new territory always s n the watch for signs and the overpasses themselves.
We encountered several in Indiana and other places. Missed signs a couple of times but overpasses are generally marked, In Ga and Tn some Civil War era underpasses, when buggies and wagons were the rule, slipped u on a couple. Saw from a distance we could not clear though. 'm not sure what will be our next Motor Home but on board GPS might not have low clearance over passes indicated, so considering a GPS for over the road truckers. Even then it is possible that some may not b indicated. Co-Pilot duty things to help watch for is lwo overpasses.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

I'm not sure our GPS had low bridge clearance in it. Co-pilot, on back roads and strange/new territory always s n the watch for signs and the overpasses themselves.
We encountered several in Indiana and other places. Missed signs a couple of times but overpasses are generally marked, In Ga and Tn some Civil War era underpasses, when buggies and wagons were the rule, slipped u on a couple. Saw from a distance we could not clear though. 'm not sure what will be our next Motor Home but on board GPS might not have low clearance over passes indicated, so considering a GPS for over the road truckers. Even then it is possible that some may not b indicated. Co-Pilot duty things to help watch for is lwo overpasses.

I had the Co-Pilot app and it is the worst GPS I have used. It sent me some a road in WV that would’ve been questionable in a minivan with a PuP. Twists and turns that rival raids in the Rockies! I’m usually pretty good at looking at the map beforehand but I missed that one!
Next year I’m getting a Garmin RV GPS. But you still need to watch the road!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately they are probably old enough to have multiplied.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/21 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still have our old Garmin and Rand McNutty. Been guided down goat paths, old stagecoach road, through lakes, following old Sauk trails now gone in Michigan, Down a brad sidewalk and back the way we came...under water of the lake.
Left turn in towns and back out on the same rad behind where we started. Same thing except down a narrow lane and through farmers field on along disappeared India path,and back out a mile behind where we started on US1 in Michigan. Twenty five miles beyond destination, east of Travers City, on the other side of hwy. Directed to turn into rivers and creeks,which is a lot of fun on a dark and stormy night and bunch more. A little hillarous...way after the fact if told properly.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/21 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Still have our old Garmin and Rand McNutty. Been guided down goat paths, old stagecoach road, through lakes, following old Sauk trails now gone in Michigan, Down a brad sidewalk and back the way we came...under water of the lake.
Left turn in towns and back out on the same rad behind where we started. Same thing except down a narrow lane and through farmers field on along disappeared India path,and back out a mile behind where we started on US1 in Michigan. Twenty five miles beyond destination, east of Travers City, on the other side of hwy. Directed to turn into rivers and creeks,which is a lot of fun on a dark and stormy night and bunch more. A little hillarous...way after the fact if told properly.

I frequently mention the Great GPS Adventure when it took me hours away from anything and then told me to "go offroad in four miles". What it refused to tell me was that there was a highway not 5 miles away that would take me to the same destination.

It is a lot funnier now than when I was staring down a deer trail at dusk with no clue where I was.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Class A Low Bridge Accident
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.