|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fridge project for the fall

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Absorption refrigeration was in use before electricity was widespread for fans. If the area is shaped right, so the normal lift of the warmer air can keep it flowing there is not much need for fans. I have a computer fan on mine. I have thought of putting a thermo-activated switch on it, but about the only time I turn it on is if it will be over 100, and I will be away from camper, can't watch the temp. At about 85 outside, if the fan is on, my eggs freeze.
Is your fridge vented through the roof?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Absorption refrigeration was in use before electricity was widespread for fans. If the area is shaped right, so the normal lift of the warmer air can keep it flowing there is not much need for fans. I have a computer fan on mine. I have thought of putting a thermo-activated switch on it, but about the only time I turn it on is if it will be over 100, and I will be away from camper, can't watch the temp. At about 85 outside, if the fan is on, my eggs freeze.

Make it a point to never buy another RV with an absorption fridge in a slideout.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

No, mine is vented thru the wall. But I have a self-made baffle that slopes from top of coils to the top of vent. As the heated air lifts it is forced to the opening.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 03:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can hear the fans making more than a slight hum it's time for new fans. While you are at it maybe ad one. They are really nothing but the same ones used in desk top towers.
Don't go crazy with the number of fans or they will short cycle.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

If you can hear the fans making more than a slight hum it's time for new fans. While you are at it maybe ad one. They are really nothing but the same ones used in desk top towers.
Don't go crazy with the number of fans or they will short cycle.

This will be my project soon. Just have to figure out how to get to the current fan location. It's currently located about half way up the stack. Based on what I am reading, sounds like most have better luck with it up closer to the top vent closer to the fins, but I'm not sure I can even get my warm down in there to reach the fan. Looks like it was installed first and then the refrigerator placed in the cavity.

Thanks again all!

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/21 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Luckily for me we have an island in front of the fridge. I disconnected the propane and all the power thru the lower vent. On a rig where the frig is not in a slide you will only have one vent but the access you need will be inside that.
From the inside I removed all the fasteners and tilted the fridge over onto the old coverlet padded island giving me access to the fan. I replaced the single fan with 2 of the same size by rigging a dual harness and using the existing mounting ridge. I got the fans from amazon (Wathai 9225 92mm x 25mm 12V 2Pin Dual Ball Bearing DC Brushless Cooling case Fan (Computers & Accessories) which were the exact same size and you can barely hear them outside. The replacement reason was that the original 6 year old fan still worked but had become very noisy.
Without the slide to lean the frig on you can use an old table to slide it out on or get a friend to help you set it on the floor. They are not that heavy but unless you have 6 foot arms it's not a one person job.
Reverse the process but make very sure that the propane connection is leak free going back. Keep the frig as upright as you can as you work or don't turn it on afterwards for a day or so if it's an absorption fridge.

On edit Make sure you verify fan air flow direction before you button it up.

* This post was edited 09/27/21 05:40am by bucky *

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

2oldman wrote:

Don't stuff it with food. Use a small circulation fan inside. My Dometic is in a slide, no fans, and works great.

As long as what you put in there is cold going in, not much of a issue in my experience. A fan helps, but the taper of, and shape where the lids force gaps for air flow.
When I spent a month in 100+ weather I figured out just how many and what size of the square/rectangle shaped containers would fit. When I took a full 1 out I would replace with MT. With most of the cold air contained, and knowing which I wanted when opened so closed quick temp recovered much quicker.

Quote:

During really hot weather I've seen folks remove the back cover and place a house fan blowing at the coils.

Big air flow is not as good as forcing the air to flow thru the right places.

CavemanCharlie wrote:

Some RV fridges don't work very well not matter what you do. Others are much better. Maybe you just have one of the bad ones. I don't like to post brand names on this forum though.

The technology of a absorption fridge is pretty simple. A little bit of work with the insulation and air flow can overcome the label.

I have a 1993 TT with a absorption Fridge that I dearly love because I like to go dry camping. It has the controls for the fridge on the Eyebrow and there is a slider for the temp control on the front of the fridge. ( I usually run it on 3, sometimes 4 on hot days, it goes up to 5)

My brothers and a 5th wheel with a absorption fridge. (Neither of ours are in slide outs) He his fridge has just a button on the eyebrow to turn it on and off. To control the temp he is suppose to slide the Thermister up and down on the coils in his fridge. When going down the road his fridge will not cool. After getting to the park it will cool down after 8 hours.

I've also have some friends with the sliding Thermister fridge control on their TT. They struggle to keep there fridge cold on a slightly warm day. It will eventually get cold after 12 hours of running. My fridge will cool down in 5 hours or less.

If you have a absorption fridge with no temp control on the front.... Where the only temp control is by sliding the thermister... Then you are screwed and it is never going to work well. (In my experience)

Sorry, that is just how it is.

I sure love my gas electric fridge but, I know what kind to look for now when purchasing RV's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Fridge project for the fall
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.