RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Why Choesterol is Biologically Important

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Why Choesterol is Biologically Important

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For quite a number of years, I've had high cholesterol numbers. Doctors have tried getting me to take statin drugs, which I've refused to do. That being the case, I've devoted quite some time learning all I could about cholesterol and statins. I'm sure some of you folks may have similar issues. I've read that high cholesterol may actually be a normal ocuurence in some individuals. As this video will show, your body may create as much as 3000 mg of cholesterol daily. Our brains are 50% fat and 50% cholesterol. Plus, cholesterol is needed for bile production and the protective layer around nerves.
Heer's the link:

hCholesterol video

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/21 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a firm believer there are plenty of us that fall outside the bell curve but just out of curiosity why will you not take a statin? Although my cholesterol is fine on it's own because I am a diabetic it's recommended as a precaution. No side effects at all.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uric acid is also produced by the body and has biological functions. And like cholesterol, too much or too little is unhealthy. The amount in your body needs to be just right.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a lot of research on Cholesterol after my doc put me on Lipitor after my dad passed. What I found was disturbing.
Study in Japan several years ago, the longest life expectancy occurred at a much higher level than what was being sold, IRC, it was 248.

Back to my study. MD said don't pay attention to what you read on the internet, go read the actual study... and I did. I fired him!

They wad one set of data used for side effects, and a completely different set of data for benefits.

Mother in law was put on statins with a cholesterol level of 150. The impact on her mental capacity was remarkable. wife took her off the statins and it was an amazing transformation.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/21 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One piece of wrong information in the video- he says the less cholesterol you take in the less the body makes. That's completely backwards - the more you take in the less the body makes and vice versa.

I know some people have side effects (as with many drugs) but these are among the most prescribed drugs and studies have shown benefits in preventing heart attacks and strokes.

Risk vs reward.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (15 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 5 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Study in Japan several years ago, the longest life expectancy occurred at a much higher level than what was being sold, IRC, it was 248.
Did this study conclude the high cholesterol level was the (or the most important) factor for the longevity?

Correlation does not equal causation

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

One piece of wrong information in the video- he says the less cholesterol you take in the less the body makes. That's completely backwards - the more you take in the less the body makes and vice versa.

I know some people have side effects (as with many drugs) but these are among the most prescribed drugs and studies have shown benefits in preventing heart attacks and strokes.

Risk vs reward.

I would agree with you, that part didn’t sound right to me either. At any rate, I also learned from personal experience some truths about my own elevated cholesterol.
I underwent a nuclear stress test a few weeks ago at the local VA med center. The results were perfectly clear coronary arteries, along with great blood pressure (lower number 55bpm resting, forgot upper number, but it was normal). So, at least in my case, though having elevated cholesterol I don’t feel it’s necessarily a death sentence. I do what I can to stay healthy even though I can’t exercise much due to partial paralysis from the stroke. I also try to eat a healthy diet without being fanatical. [emoticon]

BTW, my stroke over 7 yrs ago wasn’t caused by cholesterol but by atrial fibrillation, which is now pretty much under control.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

I did a lot of research on Cholesterol after my doc put me on Lipitor after my dad passed. What I found was disturbing.

Back to my study. MD said don't pay attention to what you read on the internet, go read the actual study... and I did. I fired him!

They wad one set of data used for side effects, and a completely different set of data for benefits.

Mother in law was put on statins with a cholesterol level of 150. The impact on her mental capacity was remarkable. wife took her off the statins and it was an amazing transformation.

Not long ago, I threw an unopened bottle of statins in the trash and informed my doctor
to remove them from my med list. The list is quite long concerning their possible side effects. Besides loss of mental abilities, as you mentioned, there are also possible muscular destruction and kidney problems, among many other side effects. While many people don’t seem to have these problems there are a multitude of others who have, as noted in reports I’ve read. They can’t all be wrong. IMHO. [emoticon]

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/21 10:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Cholesterol runs high but anti cholesterol medications make my arthritic back and knees hut like h.
Got far worse things to worry about.
Left eye torn retina, macular degeneration, edema and gel pulled loose from lens. Shot every month in the eye.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/21 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Cholesterol runs high but anti cholesterol medications make my arthritic back and knees hut like h.
Got far worse things to worry about.
Left eye torn retina, macular degeneration, edema and gel pulled loose from lens. Shot every month in the eye.
Have kidney disease and maybe a little crazy, Nah..get back in the fish bowl Jethro.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Why Choesterol is Biologically Important
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.