|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Onan’s New Inverter Based Generators - Mike Mas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Idle-Up wrote:

Thanks for all the replies Regretfully, Bruce it looks like it's impossible to get a few members to believe they don't own an inverter generator. All they need to do is start their generator up and listen to it race without a load, nothing like the new 6-8 kw diesel Kubota engines at idle most all the time.

I don't think anybody is disagreeing that the previous generation of GAS generators were not inverter generators.

However, some of the models of DIESEL generators have been inverter models--with variable engine speed, depending on load (and not constant engine speed operation)--for decades. It's really, really hard to convince owners of these inverter generators that they really do not have inverter generators, when their ears and owner's manuals tell them otherwise, and when perhaps a few of them may have had to replace the inverter module when it failed at some point.

(It is also worth noting that the new 2.8 kW gas generators have electronic fuel injection rather than a carburetor, itself a worthwhile upgrade and one I would be very happy to see on the 4.0 kW models used in most 30A gas motorhomes.)

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm, interesting discussion.

Not going to get into the debate of just how long Onan has had inverter style diesel generators. I'll just say this:

When Onan comes out with a fuel injected, inverter version of their 5500 watt gas generator used in many gas class A motorhomes.....THAT, would be a huge, very welcome improvement. I could be tempted to do a genny upgrade for something like that, one day.

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis
See it here

Shot-N-Az

Just South of DC

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Either everyone is talking past each other, or something else is going on here. I’ve read numerous posts from Mike and they are nearly always spot on.

However, my old QD7500 in my previous 2005 Newmar had an inverter. I had to replace it along with the rotor and stator. That was not a cheap repair. The engine speed was dictated by the load being called for. Upon startup, the engine would run about 1/2 speed before falling off to idle after a couple of minutes unless there was something calling for amps.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2003 Revolution had an inverter based variable speed generator. The OP is confusing older gas generators with older diesel generators. The quiet diesel have been inverter based for at least twenty years. The gassers just started this year.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Idle-Up wrote:

Thanks for all the replies Regretfully, Bruce it looks like it's impossible to get a few members to believe they don't own an inverter generator. All they need to do is start their generator up and listen to it race without a load, nothing like the new 6-8 kw diesel Kubota engines at idle most all the time.

Stay Safe - Mike

Mike. Our 2003 7.5 Onan quiet diesel was an inverter generator. Starts quiet. If you turn on a load it speeds up. Turn on another load it speeds up more etc. I think you may be confusing older Onan gas generators with diesel generators.

Cheers.

Idle-Up

Ga

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Idle-Up wrote:

Stay Safe - Mike

Mike. Our 2003 7.5 Onan quiet diesel was an inverter generator. Starts quiet. If you turn on a load it speeds up. Turn on another load it speeds up more etc. I think you may be confusing older Onan gas generators with diesel generators.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply - Your 2003 is not an inverter diesel generator.

The changes your hearing is not that of an inverter generator, what you’re hearing and mistaking for a faster speeds is actually the engine speeding up momentary from a drop in rpm from as load was applied. In addition, it only sounds like it’s running faster but it's just additional “mechanical” noise from the Kubota diesel engine working harder with the load. Once the load is gone, the engine gets quieter (appears to be turning slower) but only because it’s no longer working and relaxed with less diesel mechanical noise.

The newer inverter diesel generators idle down so low you can barely hear them running. There is a no comparison to the older generators. believe me I've been doing this since 1978 and owned over 20 diesel Onan's since then. The first Inverter generator I owned was in my 2020 Renegade. As soon as I heard this difference in operation, I called Cummins / Onan and they confirmed it was a Inverter generator.

I also mentioned this same Inverter generator in more detail in my In Depth article which I authored you can find it at:

Renegade In-Depth Review

Regards - Mike

[image]

* This post was edited 09/21/21 11:22am by an administrator/moderator *

Shot-N-Az

Just South of DC

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So Mike…the fact that my QD7500 had an inverter doesn’t mean it was an inverter generator?????

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Idle-Up wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Idle-Up wrote:

Stay Safe - Mike

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply - Your 2003 is not an inverter diesel generator.

The changes your hearing is not that of an inverter generator, what you’re hearing and mistaking for a faster speeds is actually the engine speeding up momentary from a drop in rpm from as load was applied. In addition, it only sounds like it’s running faster but it's just additional “mechanical” noise from the Kubota diesel engine working harder with the load. Once the load is gone, the engine gets quieter (appears to be turning slower) but only because it’s no longer working and relaxed with less diesel mechanical noise.

The newer inverter diesel generators idle down so low you can barely hear them running. There is a no comparison to the older generators. believe me I've been doing this since 1978 and owned over 20 diesel Onan's since then. The first Inverter generator I owned was in my 2020 Renegade. As soon as I heard this difference in operation, I called Cummins / Onan and they confirmed it was a Inverter generator.

I also mentioned this same Inverter generator in more detail in my In Depth article which I authored you can find it at:

Renegade In-Depth Review

Regards - Mike

[image]

Sorry Mike. You are wrong on this one buddy. Walk on to any lot with a diesel pusher 2001 and newer and check out the genny. If it’s a 7500 QD it’s an inverter generator.

Cheers and safe travels.

* This post was edited 09/21/21 11:23am by an administrator/moderator *

wborst

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/21 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike,
Why don’t you give Onan a call and ask when they came out with there diesel inverter generator. I’m sure you will learn that the diesel QD 7500 is in fact a inverter generator. Since you won’t believe those of us who own this generator, maybe Onan would be willing to enlighten you.

Brenda, Bill
Our little dog Madison has crossed the Rainbow Bridge
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire 40ft. Spartan chassis
400 hp Cummins ISL

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2013 QD 6000 looks just like the one in the picture. The manual for it covers the series up to the QD 7500. And it does speed up and slow down with load just as the "new one" does.

I wish that my coach had offered the 7500 had as an option, I really could use the extra power at times. The catch on the 7500 is that it has the same motor as the 6000 and being naturally aspirated it may not produce rated load at higher elevations. The saving grace is that you rarely need all of the air conditioners running at those elevations.

Incidentally, the engine came with a Kubota oil filter on it. That is fine with me, Kubota makes some great engines.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Onan’s New Inverter Based Generators - Mike Mas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.