|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Tow hall mode

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
FLHTCI

east coast

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greetings all,

I pulled the trigger on a Winnebago Itasca Sunstar 30T.

The previous owner drove it always in Tow Hall mode. Is this a wise decision??

I assume I should only use the tow mode when pulling my Jeep or my Harley trike trailer?

Thank you

2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you mean tow/ HAUL mode? The Ford is equipped with a tow/haul mode feature that's very helpful when towing and especially helpful on descents. When in tow/haul mode you can tap the brakes on a descent and it will act similar to an engine brake allowing you to use less brakes and over heating them. In our previous MH, I found it helpful even when not towing in stop and go traffic as it changes the shift modes and helps slow you down without a lot of braking. But the tow/haul mode is designed exactly for towing.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually use it when I'm towing our boat/atvs/jeep, I also use it when I'm in the mountains even if I'm not towing. I also find it helpful if I'm in traffic and want a bit more stopping power to help with the people that pull in front of me.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always used it when towing TT in the mountains and flatlands. Maybe save a little wear and tear on brakes and transmission but supposedly increases fuel consumption. I would think same benefits for MH. Many MH I see are towing a car on carrier, dolly or as a toad or they are pulling a cargo trailer and sometimes a small TT. Cheers to

* This post was edited 09/17/21 03:15pm by NamMedevac 70 *

FLHTCI

east coast

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Do you mean tow/ HAUL mode? The Ford is equipped with a tow/haul mode feature that's very helpful when towing and especially helpful on descents. When in tow/haul mode you can tap the brakes on a descent and it will act similar to an engine brake allowing you to use less brakes and over heating them. In our previous MH, I found it helpful even when not towing in stop and go traffic as it changes the shift modes and helps slow you down without a lot of braking. But

the tow/haul mode is designed exactly for towing.

Yes that is what I meant lol.

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming it's a Ford chassis, it's not necessary to use TH all the time. All it does is change the shift points, and it seems most effective at downshifting on deceleration. I use it to keep the RPMs in the sweet spot. If you're pulling a toad, you might use it more.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

FLHTCI

east coast

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all.

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/21 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TH does far more than merely adjust your shift points. Unless your coach is small and lightly loaded, towing nothing, using Tow Haul all of the time is a good way to go. On a long flat/slight downhill stretch obviously disengaging TH is fine as well. The sheer weight of most motorhomes over 24' provide more than enough load for the advantages of TH to far out weigh minimal {if any} decrease in mpg.

On occasion I have simply forgotten to engage TH. This bit of foolishness on my part is quickly exposed when I glance at my Scan Gauge on even a slight grade and note the trans fluid temps climbing 12 - 15 degrees. An "Oops' followed by reengaging TH generates an almost immediate drop in trans fluid temps back to normal... [emoticon]

Following a rig on a long mountain descent it becomes immediately apparent if they are not using TH as they are constantly on their brakes often arrive at the bottom of the grade with significantly reduced braking capability due to their overheating. The other huge benefit to TH use on descents is that you are not burning a drop of fuel regardless of rpm. TH locks the the torque converter and shuts off the flow of fuel to the engine enhancing not only control but fuel efficiency as well.

[emoticon]

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch your RPMs and water and transmission temps and engage if going up.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/21 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my case I start the engine , press tow/haul. If I’m driving in very flat straight roads I’ll turn it off.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Tow hall mode
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.