RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Saw a unicorn F-150 on the road yesterday!

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Saw a unicorn F-150 on the road yesterday!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Online
Posted: 09/19/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stickdog wrote:

You must remember a dollar is not worth much anymore.I brought my first F150 in 76 300 6 banger 3 speed on the column with AM radio for $3,300 plus tax.


LOL. End of Feb '05 I bought a regular cab short bed V6 Dodge. End of Aug, bought wife a new Neon. The 2 of them together was under $25,000.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

Senior Member

Joined: 03/31/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/19/21 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

begum I also towed a 18ft camper trailer behind a new 68 Corvette for 2 years. Started out in Dallas and worked a year in DC then back to Oklahoma City then back to Baltimore. Finally sold it in VA, car and trailer.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

Senior Member

Joined: 01/29/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/19/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stickdog wrote:

You must remember a dollar is not worth much anymore.I brought my first F150 in 76 300 6 banger 3 speed on the column with AM radio for $3,300 plus tax.


That $3,300 from 1976 is only worth $15,488 today. Cars are ridiculously expensive now.


I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 09/19/21 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rona inflation aside, these types of three are always hilarious to hear all the “back in my day” comments.
Vehicles are even funnier. Can’t even compare the best swill that came out of Detroit in the 70s to even the cheapest “comparable” vehicle in 2021.
And some things cost more, comparatively, and some things cost much less.
And some weren’t even around back then to compare.
Would you say a IPhone 10 is terribly overpriced compared to a 1976 telephone from Kmart? I mean the only thing in common between them is you could talk to people on both of them.

Sure it’s fun to complain about, but if you actually believe you’re getting overcharged now, in general just asked on the inflation rate, then you’re pretty clueless.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/20/21 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We see std cab 1/2 ton...3/4 and one ton srw/drws trucks daily here in farm and ranch country. Most are 4wd beds off with a feeder bed.
And std cabs are popular with college kids with their college logo in the back window or bumpers.

And we see lots of std cab usually Ford ranger size parts delivery trucks running around town or out on the open road moving parts from the big city to small local towns.


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

Senior Member

Joined: 03/01/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/21 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Rona inflation aside, these types of three are always hilarious to hear all the “back in my day” comments.
Vehicles are even funnier. Can’t even compare the best swill that came out of Detroit in the 70s to even the cheapest “comparable” vehicle in 2021.
And some things cost more, comparatively, and some things cost much less.
And some weren’t even around back then to compare.
Would you say a IPhone 10 is terribly overpriced compared to a 1976 telephone from Kmart? I mean the only thing in common between them is you could talk to people on both of them.

Sure it’s fun to complain about, but if you actually believe you’re getting overcharged now, in general just asked on the inflation rate, then you’re pretty clueless.


I had good luck with that Swill that came out of Detroit in the 70's because it was easy to fix and made in America. I'm mechanically inclined and can fix things like that myslef. New vehicles are great until they break and it cost a arm and a leg to fix them because you can't do it yourself anymore. And, I have had a few friends where once some computer part of the car broke nobody could figure out how to fix it and they had to give up and junk out a perfectly good car because of a broken computer part. ( Actually, my 2011 F-150 Pings when towing under load and no one can figure out why)

As for the I-phone thing. I got by without one up until now and I have no reason to buy one now. I do have a cell phone now but, I use it just for making calls (And I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the text generation) . There are tons of little button things on my cell phone that you can push and I don't know what they do nor do I care.

Darklock

Georgia

New Member

Joined: 01/06/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/22/21 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My previous truck was a base model F150 regular cab. Nothing fancy about it at all. Got good mileage and towed my camper just fine. I just missed having the 4X4, so I traded it in.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 09/24/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Rona inflation aside, these types of three are always hilarious to hear all the “back in my day” comments.
Vehicles are even funnier. Can’t even compare the best swill that came out of Detroit in the 70s to even the cheapest “comparable” vehicle in 2021.
And some things cost more, comparatively, and some things cost much less.
And some weren’t even around back then to compare.
Would you say a IPhone 10 is terribly overpriced compared to a 1976 telephone from Kmart? I mean the only thing in common between them is you could talk to people on both of them.

Sure it’s fun to complain about, but if you actually believe you’re getting overcharged now, in general just asked on the inflation rate, then you’re pretty clueless.


I had good luck with that Swill that came out of Detroit in the 70's because it was easy to fix and made in America. I'm mechanically inclined and can fix things like that myslef. New vehicles are great until they break and it cost a arm and a leg to fix them because you can't do it yourself anymore. And, I have had a few friends where once some computer part of the car broke nobody could figure out how to fix it and they had to give up and junk out a perfectly good car because of a broken computer part. ( Actually, my 2011 F-150 Pings when towing under load and no one can figure out why)

As for the I-phone thing. I got by without one up until now and I have no reason to buy one now. I do have a cell phone now but, I use it just for making calls (And I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the text generation) . There are tons of little button things on my cell phone that you can push and I don't know what they do nor do I care.


So, your point is, that even since you’re a handy, mechanically inclined individual, that since you decided to turn your brain off to new things at the turn of the century, that the old stuff must be better because, well, you don't want to learn anything new for the last 20 years?
Newer cars generally ain’t tough to fix. Sure some things are, but so are drum brakes and getting the starter motor off of a small block Mopar with headers and setting point gap and dwell and let’s not forget about those 203 transfer cases.
As much as I like the old iron, go take a brand factory new 3/4 ton 70 something truck of your choice, put it side by side with a new one of your choice. Hook a trailer, start driving and tell me which one needs a new drivetrain first.
But I already know the answer to that.

PS , 2 of my cars are 1974 and 1986 respectively. But I’m not predjudiced. The others are 2020, 2016, 2016 and 2006. And I can work on all of them.

PPS, try running some of that good Minnesoooota corn whisky gas or premium for the pinging.

* This post was edited 09/24/21 02:03pm by Grit dog *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Saw a unicorn F-150 on the road yesterday!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.