|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
litefriend

jax

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/21 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Living Lite camper , the refrig works fine when when it is NOT moving ,, but it does not work when I am driving . it is gas , 110 ,, but not to sure if it is 12dc . is there any way to keep working when moving ??

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make and model of refer?
Most have to have 12 volts DC to operate.
What mode do you try to run it on, Gas, 120 or?
Won't run on 120 volts unless setup with inverter or some method of providing 120 volts AC.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/21 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If when traveling if you don't have 12v to the fridge you won't have spark to ignite propane (you do have propane turned on don't you). It may take a while to clear air from line. You should hear it spark every 1-2 seconds till lit or it gives up. If no spark check 12v panel to make sure fuse is good.

* This post was edited 09/19/21 03:45pm by bgum *

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a 12 volt battery and if you do, does it hold a charge.
Without a charged battery you will not have brakes if you lose connection with your tow vehicle.
Your battery also is the igniter for your fridge without a charged battery you cannot use your fridge on gas.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/21 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Propane tanks need to be on!
I am not sure what kind of rig OP has. Not sure if truck camper or a travel trailer!

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok the RV type fridges. though in theory And I've seen absorption cooling units that were pure GAS no electricity at all other than the safeties and those... well they do not apply)

RV types use 12 volt to control operation and to ignite the propane. So if you do not have 12 volt (Battery power) in the trailer no joy.

Now how it works on gas.. When the Thermostat calls for COOL the control board opens the gas valve (A 12 volt device) and starts making 12DC into about a kilovolt AC (1000V) to generate sparks to ignite the gas.. After a period it looks to see if a thermocouple is generating a small voltage/current (IS HOT) and if so it keeps the gas flowing till the T-Stat says "I'm cold enough" .

Possible issues
No 12 volt
Propane off / out of (The instructions say turn it off when driving)
IF it works on propane when plugged with one exception the following do not apply

Spark gap too big (Very slight possibility it's "Just a tad" too big and the difference between battery and converter voltage is thus important. Very very low probability of this.

Spark gap way too big (Won't work on gas PERIOD)
Clogged gas jet
Bad gas valve
Bad thermocouple
Bad Control board

And the ever popular "Other issue".

One moving only.. IN some cases the design of the outer compartment causes the flame to blow out when moving. I've heard of it only never seen it in 12 years full time

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

litefriend

jax

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello , I do have a 3 way frige but I can NOT hook up the 12v from my truck . IT works fine on gas or 110 ,, just when I drive on the road does it not work or stops working

litefriend

jax

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

If when traveling if you don't have 12v to the fridge you won't have spark to ignite propane (you do have propane turned on don't you). It may take a while to clear air from line. You should hear it spark every 1-2 seconds till lit or it gives up. If no spark check 12v panel to make sure fuse is good.

Hello , I do have a 3 way frige but I can NOT hook up the 12v from my truck . IT works fine on gas or 110 ,, just when I drive on the road does it not work or stops working ,, Will it work on gas when you are driving on the road ( yes gas is on ) it is a 2015 livin lite . I do not know what type fridge it is but it does have a freezer also in it that works good when still ( not moving )

CapnCampn

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While travelling, the 120V is not in play unless you run your generator while driving, so let's focus on the propane operation.

The fridge does not care if it's moving or not, so if it works on gas while parked, it should work while driving.

As mentioned above, the gas valve does need 12V to stay open. You said you cannot connect the 12V from the truck (why?) but as long as your battery is charged, that should be fine - do other 12V items work? Lights, etc?

There may be a fuse for the fridge 12v - either in the fuse panel or on the fridge board - but again, this should be ok if it works while parked & not plugged in.

The only other difference I can think of while driving is the wind - maybe the pilot/flame is getting blown out? Are you missing any covers/shields around the burner area or fridge access panel?

Maybe taping a piece of cardboard inside the access panel to block most (not all!) of the vents will reduce turbulence inside the access area?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck!

CC

* This post was edited 09/21/21 03:39pm by CapnCampn *

litefriend

jax

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes I do have 12v battery inside the camper and IT will stay or have a good charge on the battery .. so I guess the only thing I can see that must be the wind ,, I only see a spark to light the gas // IF there is a pilot light I can not find one ..

Thanks to all for the help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.