|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> An upgraded option for the half ton Pickup crowd

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/21 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1940 payload wouldn't be too bad if it includes most common options including 4x4.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

IDman

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure which is worst....the exterior or the interior.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I watched a TFL video this morning on the new Tundra. Honestly it would be the half ton to beat if I were in that market. I'd want the Crewmax cab and longer 6.5' bed. I know a few guys at work with Tundras and they're just stupid reliable, and I've always thought they were good looking trucks.

I'd go trade today if Toyota released a true HD version with a 6.7 Cummins.

* This post was edited 09/21/21 04:39pm by IdaD *

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rear GAWR ?

Still "P" class tires or did they go "LT" class tires ?

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Rear GAWR ?

Still "P" class tires or did they go "LT" class tires ?

What diff (pun intended) does it make? Rear axle looks the same as previous models.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's my question too.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/21 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know, I think it looks pretty cool. I loved my Tundra, it was a great truck with my smaller camper. 1900 lbs payload (didn't see it in the article, but someone mentioned it) is a nice upgrade, but still not enough to entice me to leave a true HD pickup truck.

Rear coils aren't a problem at all, if they are spec'ed out right. I LOVE my rear coils in my Ram, drives very nice and holds a LOT of weight (rated at 6500 lbs).

At the end of the day, I'm not a buyer for this Tundra, but its nice to see some mechanical upgrades (heavier payload and competitive engines) from Toyota. I love my truck, it drove great and had gobs of power... just not enough payload. Hope it does well and creates some real competition.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Understand that most are more into the looks & bells/whistles, but towing is my main criteria for an TV…know am in the minority on that and also on ‘go’ power vs ‘stopping’ power (I’d take the one with better braking & handling over fast). Not to say ‘go’ isn’t important to me…

Thought for a moment that Toyota might have offered a Unicorn like the old F150HD & GM 1500HD with +5K RGAWR (for a few years, the GM1500HD had a 6K RGAWR, but not full floater like todays +6K RGAWR) and they both came with LT class tires

TurnThePage wrote:

That's my question too.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^That didn’t really work for Nissan recently. And seems like the days of heavy half’s are gone. Just too easy and too many 3/4 ton trucks available to make that a worthwhile venture. Imo.

There’s a few F150HD buyers but in reality it’s mostly gimmick as any F150 with a 9.75 axle and some helper springs is the same truck.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/21 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years on this and other forums over ‘half ton’ and always thought those Unicorn half ton HD’s were for folks who insist on only a half ton, even though they are in 3/4 ton territory…

Dad was one of those after killing several station wagons hauling for our specialty grocery/butcher shop.

After picking up some cases of turkeys that spilled on the rugs…mom had it and told dad to get a truck…as the station wagon was also our ‘car’ for family trips.

Went around and around with dad till uncle bill said just order that 1980 Silverado C10 with the “Big Ten” option. Today’s 1500HD half ton.

Even had to install aftermarket, 1 ton helper coils on the rear axle. Today’s Timberns or air bags

Dad was also a ‘ride quality’ guy, but had a good reason…his back was fused after too many back injury’s carrying a beef quarter.

Marketing knows all that and continues the legend with half ton towing a stripped space shuttle commercials

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> An upgraded option for the half ton Pickup crowd
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.