RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What's in your tool kit? What about other must-haves?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What's in your tool kit? What about other must-haves?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd definitely carry a roll of Eternabond tape and a quality caulk gun ($15-ish for a dripless unit) and a couple tubes of Dicor, along with a roll of Butyl tape.

Some quality duck tape too.

I have one of those reflective vests you see highway crews wearing, they only cost a few bucks. I'd add to that a package of the reflective triangles (don't buy the cheapies, they blow over too easily, get the ones the 18-wheelers use. Harbor Freight sells some battery powered RED flashing light things, they only cost around $5 or $6. I have some and they are awesome. On that note, plenty of flashlights and electric lantern, battery powered (around $10 at Harbor Freight. A weather radio is a must. Buy a larger and better fire extinguisher, the one you have now most likely is the size that will barely put out a cigarette butt.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/21 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You forgot, drinking water hose, maybe a flushing water hose, wye adapter to hook up both at once, so you can hose off the toys. An electrical extension, and electrical adapter so you can use 20/30 / or 50 amp in an emergency. A water pressure regulater, in line water filter if you dont have one.
For the compresser, i just pucked up a 3 gallon pankake one that will run off the outlet in my truck bed. If you have an outlet in the TV, you can get a reguler small compresser if it dosen't use a lot of voltage.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duct tape and bungee straps.

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OkieGene wrote:

thomasmnile wrote:

Torx bit screwdrivers in addition to slotted and Phillips. Unless the RV industry has changed Torx screws are their favorite fastener after staples.

I'd look things over carefully, you might have some fasteners that use the Square Bits, the Robertson type.

Sorry, that's what I meant was the square bits.i have a set of Torx bits that are quarter inch drive for ratchet or a screwdriver handle and there is indeed 2 square head bits in the set. Bought them at Lowe's years ago.

delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

Duct tape and bungee straps.

X2 on the above

2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer Gorilla tape to generic duck tape; it seems to last better and peel off more easily when no longer needed (and with less residue) than standard duck tape.

Definitely get a #2 square (Robertson) screwdriver. You probably will not be able to remove or replace most anything without one.

A few 12V fuses in various sizes are a good idea.

If you like to burn wood in campfires, a small Fiskars splitting axe is a mighty nice tool to have. It splits wood far more effectively than a standard hatchet, while not taking up too much space or weighing as much as a full-sized splitting maul.

A level can be handy, too; I think you can find perfectly adequate ones (for RV usage) at dollar stores from time to time.

A few collapsible battery-powered LED lanterns can be handy. I like to set mine out on key spots if I arrive at a camp site after dark so as to give myself some visible references for positioning the RV. I might put one on the corner of the picnic table, or the power post, or that big rock they place so conveniently close to the entrance to the site, or next to the ditch I need to avoid. It saves me a lot of getting in and out and general aggravation.

Despite this arguably lengthy list, I wouldn't go to far overboard with tools to begin with; instead, I'd just buy what I need when I need it while traveling. It's rare to go too far away from civilization (or have something so completely break) that you can't get most basic tools when you find you need them, or at least soon enough afterwards to not be a huge problem.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disposable plastic gloves and a bar of soap in the wet bay for dump duty.

I agree with don't get too carried away with tools. A reliable volt meter and a #2 square driver is a must have.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LED Headlamp. The kind that has elastic to fit on your head. Preferably with a tiltable lamp and one that can also provide a night vision red illumination. Mine sits on top of my tool bag when we travel.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/21 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep a cheap moving blanket and a large tarp. The former is great if you need to go under the truck or camper for any reason. The latter, with some bungee cords, can stop a leak temporarily during a rain - then once the rain stops, you can do a quick repair.

I had my clipper established with a lot of tools, etc. When I got it back after being stolen, everything was gone. So I had to restock it. I got an inexpensive standard tool kit with screwdrivers, pliers, etc. I added a kit with various screws, bolts, and nuts. Multimeter. Fuses.

* This post was edited 09/20/21 06:27pm by toedtoes *

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ApexAZ

Gilbert, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of great info. Thanks everyone!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What's in your tool kit? What about other must-haves?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.